Kaspersky Total Security appears to be causing network issues for battle.net

I recently wanted to play a bit of Overwatch 2, so I installed both the game and the battle.net launcher. After a few hours, the launcher was suddenly not able to connect to the internet anymore. I could still play the game if I started the launcher in offline-mode but later that evening, the game got an update, which the launcher was incapable of downloading.

I tried re-installing the launcher in order to see if maybe there had been a faulty installation only to find that I could no longer install it whatsoever.

After contacting Blizzards technical support and doing a bit of trouble shooting, they suggested that the cause of the network issues might by Kaspersky and that I should see if it would work if I uninstalled the program. So I did. And it did.

So now I'm wondering:

1: Does Kaspersky Total Security inherently cause network issues for battle.net and

2: if yes, if there is some kind of setting or option in the program to circumvent that issue?

So far, I have been pretty happy with Kaspersky and I don't really want to have to pick between getting to play a game I enjoy and benefitting from the added protection that I paid for.

On 10/16/2022 at 7:56 AM, Darthplagueis13 said:

I recently wanted to play a bit of Overwatch 2, so I installed both the game and the battle.net launcher. After a few hours, the launcher was suddenly not able to connect to the internet anymore. I could still play the game if I started the launcher in offline mode but later that evening, the game got an update, which the launcher was incapable of downloading. I tried re-installing the launcher in order to see if maybe there had been a faulty installation only to find that I could no longer install it whatsoever.

After contacting Blizzards technical support and doing a bit of trouble shooting, they suggested that the cause of the network issues might by Kaspersky and that I should see if it would work if I uninstalled the program. So I did. And it did..

?️

1: Does Kaspersky Total Security inherently cause network issues for battle.net and

2: if yes, if there is some kind of setting or option in the program to circumvent that issue?

Hello @Darthplagueis13

Welcome!

No. 

1. Was the uninstall done by selecting *Save License information* only; or were other checkboxes selected? 
  2. After the uninstall, have you re-installed KTS? IF "yes", does the issue persist? IF "yes", try this solution, from @Igor Kurzin

Don't have Blizzard or any of the associated apps active or running while the steps below are being done?

1. Create a System restore point.
  2. Make sure Windows Hidden items, is checked -> refer: View hidden files and folders in Windows.
  3. Open Kaspersky app, select Settings⚙ -> General, uncheck Enable Self-Defense, select Save, select Yes to confirm the action.
  4. Exit Kaspersky app - on the Windows taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select Exit.
  5. Go to folder C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP21.3\Report\ and delete the contents - all files and folders.
  6. Start Kaspersky app.
  7. Enable Self-Defense.
  8. Shutdown the computer, using Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login.
  9. Re-check the issue(s)?

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife

On 10/24/2022 at 5:24 AM, Meesho said:

I tried to step #5 about deleting the content of the file, but it kept saying that the folder is in use and cant be deleted. What should I do?

Hello @Meesho

Welcome!

• Step 5 cannot be done if the Kaspersky application has use of the files, ?read & follow the directions carefully, do all the steps?

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/16/2022 at 2:26 AM, Darthplagueis13 said:

I recently wanted to play a bit of Overwatch 2, so I installed both the game and the battle.net launcher. After a few hours, the launcher was suddenly not able to connect to the internet anymore. I could still play the game if I started the launcher in offline-mode but later that evening, the game got an update, which the launcher was incapable of downloading.

I tried re-installing the launcher in order to see if maybe there had been a faulty installation only to find that I could no longer install it whatsoever.

After contacting Blizzards technical support and doing a bit of trouble shooting, they suggested that the cause of the network issues might by Kaspersky and that I should see if it would work if I uninstalled the program. So I did. And it did.

So now I'm wondering:

So far, I have been pretty happy with Kaspersky and I don't really want to have to pick between getting to play a game I enjoy and benefitting from the added protection that I paid for.

I seem to be having the same issue, and yes it seems kaspersky keeps blocking the network activity of blizzard client. this is because every time i disable kaspersky and relaunch the client, all issues are gone, and it works so perfectly, it almost seems like there never was an issue. 

Hope this issue gets resolved soon.

15 hours ago, Artemis_Secure said:

Hope this issue gets resolved soon.

Hello @Artemis_Secure

Welcome!

💥Don't have Blizzard or Overwatch or any of the associated apps active or running while the steps below are being done💥

1. Create a System restore point.
  2. Make sure Windows Hidden items, is checked -> refer: View hidden files and folders in Windows.
  3. VERY IMPORTANT -> open Kaspersky app, select Settings⚙ -> General, uncheck Enable Self-Defense, select Save, select Yes to confirm the action.
  4. Exit Kaspersky app - on the Windows taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select Exit.
  5. Go to folder C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP21.3\Report\ and delete the contents - all files and folders.
  6. Start Kaspersky app.
  7. Enable Self-Defense.
  8. Shutdown the computer, using Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login.
  9. Re-check the issue(s)?

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

spelling