Kaspersky secure connection crashed my phone

This is just to let you know that the most recent Kaspersky secure connection crashed my Xperia Sony phone.

My phone was in a reboot loop. I could fix the problem uninstalling it before the phone switched off, I had just a few seconds...

Dear Flood and Berny,
Thank you for your messages.

I’ll try to give you more information.

I have an Android 8.0.0 on my phone.

The KSC-VPN was the freeware version and now it’s not reinstalled, I don’t dare :)

I installed the app already some time ago, it was the first time I’d had problems.

I have in parallel the licensed Kaspersky security internet, which works well.

I’m not able to give you more crash information, immediately after the update the phone switched off and on endlessly, until I could uninstall the app. Then it was fine again.

Hope I gave you useful info.
Thank you again!

Hello  @df80,

Thank you for replying and yes, you have given useful information👏 . 

Without logs or crash information, it’s not possible to determine the root cause. 

Just as general guidance, I have automated & regular data, application & phone backups running, &, before installing any app, I create a full backup, if the newly installed app is an issue, it’s easy to roll back. 

Best regards

Hello  @df80,

Thanks for posting back.

I meant to add earlier, before installing any app, always make sure the phone firmware is fully up-to-date, there’s ample storage space, uninstall any unused apps or move any that do not need core access to a SD card.

Roor access is not required and should not be done. 

For logs, KSC-VPN logs would be generated if KSC-VPN application (Bug) version was installed, however, that software is available, on request, from the Lab, for holders of licensed software. 

System requirements for Kaspersky Secure Connection for Android

Thank you. 

This is just to let you know that the most recent Kaspersky secure connection crashed my Xperia Sony phone.

My phone was in a reboot loop. I could fix the problem uninstalling it before the phone switched off, I had just a few seconds...

Hi df80. This seems to be an issue on Android 8.0 (fixed on 8.1+) & some specific devices only. Kaspersky say they`ve found a way to workaround the issue on app`s side and they have already started rolling out updated version of app (thus it most probably should be available for everybody in a matter of a few days).

Please wait for an updated version of Secure Connection in nearest days.

I can confirm that this happened to me also. I installed the latest update for my Android 8.0 LG G7 phone yesterday. As soon as I open the app after I downloaded it it caused the bootloop. I ran my phone in safe mode and deleted the app which fixed the problem. I tried re-downloading the app off the Android marketplace and as soon as I ran the app again it caused the bootloop.

I can confirm that this happened to me also. I installed the latest update for my Android 8.0 LG G7 phone yesterday. As soon as I open the app after I downloaded it it caused the bootloop. I ran my phone in safe mode and deleted the app which fixed the problem. I tried re-downloading the app off the Android marketplace and as soon as I ran the app again it caused the bootloop.

There is an updated version version in GPlay (1.6.0.1143) which has a workaround. Please give it try.

I had the same issue. My phone is a Sony Xperia XA1+, android 8.0.

At start, I had no idea which app caused it, so I had to do a factory reset (which is a huge pain in the a**, due to banking apps). 

When the apps were being automatically reinstalled, the phone got locked on bootload again. Then I had to install them one by one to find the cause.

Do you guys confirm it’s already working?     

Hello   @Guilhermetal,

Welcome!

Please tell us:

1. Have you udated to KSec-Vpn v1.6.0.1143?
  2. Is KSec-VPN Premium or Free?
  3. Is there any other Kaspersky software installed on the Android 8.0? If “yes”, please provide name, version and Premium or Free? 
  4. Have you raised the issue with Kaspersky Technical Support

Please let us know?

Thank you

Hello @FLOOD 

1. I haven’t reinstalled the app again after resetting the phone. And I’m not sure which version was installed before the crash. 
  2. My KSec-VPN is paid;
  3. No, I don’t have other Kaspersky software installed on my phone
  4. No, I haven’t. I just found out which app was crashing everything later on.  

Hello  @Guilhermetal,

Thank you for repying and for the information. 

• If you’re going to reinstall  KSec-VPN, please engage with Kaspersky Technical Support, if you contact them before reinstalling, there’s probably little they can do to assist, other than to confirm  KSec-VPN hardware & software requirements and possibly suggest you install a  KSec-VPN debug version, so logs can be collected and analsyed, however, as per the information provided by   @molann. the issue you’ve reported is addressed by v1.6.0.1143, so it could be, if you install  v1.6.0.1143, the issue will not persist, the only way to really know is to install v1.6.0.1143 and test🤔 . 
  • Also, be aware of installing KSec-VPN on an Android if the firmware has been modified or root access has been granted. 
  • I always recommend using (free) Backup software for important data & apps, if a “disaster” arises, it’s easy to recover from. 
  • If you do re-install KSec-Vpn and the issue persists after contacting Technical Support, please keep us updated?

Thank you. 

Do you guys confirm it’s already working?     

I cannot confirm this personally since I`m on Android 9.0, who doesn`t have the bug in subject.

But there`re numerous confirmations in GPlay reviews from other users - fix worked for them.

Anyways, even if for you it won`t work for some reason - you can always boot into safe mode and uninstall the app causing issue.