Kaspersky Protection extension in Google Chrome greyed out

godwre
Go to solution Solved by godwre,

Just realized that extension is not working and  is greyed out. Tried to reinstall extension several times using chrome web store and restarting laptop to no avail. KIS still recommending to install extension even it is already there. This is how it looks like when I click on the shield icon.

Using Chrome Version 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (64-bit) on a Windows 10 laptop with KIS 21.2.16.590(b). Extension version is 1.3.8.0

The same issue is happening to me in 64-bit Vivaldi 3.5.2115.81 (using Chrome ver. 87.0.4280.107), with KIS 21.1.15.500(c). This is running in (64-bit) Windows 10 Pro ver. 1909 (Build 18363.1256).

Scanning through the comments on the Chrome Web Store for the Kaspersky Protection extension shows that this problem has existed since at least August 2020, possibly starting with KIS 2021 (which appears was released in June 2020). 

One oddity, though...
When in normal mode (with extensions activated, this one included), and I search in the Chrome Web Store for the Kaspersky Protection extension, nothing at all is found. However, I can get to the Chrome Store's page for this extension but it seems only by using the link on the extension's "Details" page, then "View in Chrome Web Store".

Hello @ceruleandaze

Welcome back!

CurrentlyKaspersky protection extension is supported in browsers: 

• Chromium-based Microsoft Edge 77.x – 85.x;
  • Mozilla Firefox versions 52.x – 81.x;
  • Mozilla Firefox ESR 52.x, 60.x, 68.x, 78.x;
  • Google Chrome versions 48.x – 85.x.

Otoh, Kaspersky Password Manager patch(n) → released 02nd December 2020, now includes support for Vivaldi & Brave:

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello @ceruleandaze

Welcome back!

CurrentlyKaspersky protection extension is supported in browsers: 

• Chromium-based Microsoft Edge 77.x – 85.x;
  • Mozilla Firefox versions 52.x – 81.x;
  • Mozilla Firefox ESR 52.x, 60.x, 68.x, 78.x;
  • Google Chrome versions 48.x – 85.x.

Otoh, Kaspersky Password Manager patch(n) → released 02nd December 2020, now includes support for Vivaldi & Brave:

[. . .]

Hi Flood,
Thanks for the reminder, though I prefer using Vivaldi, and for now will just keep this Kaspersky extension turned off. Thanks for the heads-up about Kaspersky Password Manager.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure this extension was once working fine for me in Vivaldi, but hasn't for a long time. I just never got around to posting anything about this extension issue till I saw the it mentioned here again. The likely fact that it was working and now isn't seems to be the main issue here, and similarly among some of the commenters on the extension's Chrome Store page too. (FWIW, and as you no doubt know, Vivaldi is Chromium-based too, just as MS Edge, Brave, and Google Chrome are, so hopefully Kaspersky eventually does support it fully.)

In case it matters, I notice that I and the others posting here are using Chrome ver. 87.x, which is beyond the ver. 85.x that this Kaspersky page says it supports for KIS.

Also, the supported HW/SW page for KIS that you linked to has the line "Newer versions of browsers can be supported if the browser supports the corresponding technology." Although this line makes it sound a bit vague about what exactly is supported in the end, could that maybe be an issue here too?

Thanks again.

Hello @ceruleandaze

You’re most welcome☺ !

We do know “Vivaldi is Chromium-based too”, but, the fact remains, according to Kaspersky documentation, atm, Kaspersky protection extension is available in: Chromium-based Microsoft Edge 77.x – 85.x; Mozilla Firefox versions 52.x – 81.x; Mozilla Firefox ESR 52.x, 60.x, 68.x, 78.x; Google Chrome versions 48.x – 85.x. 

We too hope Kaspersky will, at some stage, provide an extension that’s compatible with a broader range of browsers.

Regarding Chrome ver. 87.x which is beyond the ver. 85.x ”, correct, we’ve had this discussion with the Kaspersky Technical Team, multiple times, they refuse to update the documentation, saying their statement:  "Newer versions of browsers can be supported if the browser supports the corresponding technology", covers the issue. 

Re “vague” documentation, that’s not the first time that’s been said. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello @godwre & @bonchan

Welcome!

Sorry for the delay in responding😥

Please do the following:

• 1 Check whether any applications installed on your computer are incompatible with Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) →  uninstall any such applications. 
  • 2 Create a System restore point.
  • 3Copy C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data folder to the desktop  (USER = your name) 
  • 4 In the Chrome browser, run the Reset and clean up option →  chrome://settings/reset
  • 5 Open KIS application, select Settings⚙ icon, select Manage Settings, select Export, save the KIS configuration file, select Restore → complete the process by accepting the Confirmation prompt.
  • 6 Change to Safe mode

6 (a) Go to: C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp  (USER = your name) → delete the contents of the Temp folder 

6 (b) Go to: C:\Windows\Temp →  delete the contents of the Temp folder 

• 7 Return to normal mode
  • 8 Make sure KIS is started, do not start any browsers atm
  • 9 Run a manual KIS Database update
  • 🔟 Shutdown the computer, using Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login
  • 11 Make sure KIS is started. 
  • 12 Start Chrome browser, check the Kaspersky Protection extension (KPE) is installed & the KPE icon is green

Please let us know the outcome? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello @godwre

Thank you for updating us👌

⚠ Please reverse Chrome back to version 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)⚠

❓ Have you done a clean install of KIS? If not please do the following:

🅰

1. ⚠ Make sure you have your Activation code & License information available⚠
  2. Uninstall KIS, save License information ONLY, do not select any other check boxes.
  3. Download a new KIS 21.2 installer (from the Kaspersky GLOBAL website).
  4. Install KIS.
  5. Shutdown the computer, using Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login:
  6. Make sure KIS is started, do not start any browsers atm
  7. Run a manual KIS Database update.
  8. Shutdown the computer, using Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login:
  9. Make sure KIS is started & patch(b) has been applied? 
  10. Start Chrome 87.0.4280.88 , recheck if the KPE icon is green? If not, please continue as follows: 

🅱

Log a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, follow the template as in our image; support may request traces, logs & other data, they will guide you; please include: 

1. A detailed history, what caused the problem?
  2. Did you try to solve the problem? How?
  3. Text from an error message? Screen shots? Video?
  4. Community topic URL?

• After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will be in touch, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.

Please share the outcome with the Community when it’s available? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello @godwre

Thank you for updating us👌

1. I’ve gone desperate” does not sound good😥, did you get any response from Kaspersky Technical Support & or @Igor Kurzin?
  2. To remove the residual KIS, download & run Kavremover, follow the documentation very carefully, noting, the system must be in SafeMode to run the remover. 

Please let us know the outcome? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

• Solution

Thanks @Flood and Flood's wife 

Support just kept on asking me for logs so my patience ran thin.

I did stumble upon the KIS remover and it did the trick and everything seems to be working now after reinstalling.

@ceruleandaze and @bonchan , here’s how I fixed it. Hope this helps:

1. Removed Kaspersky Protection from Chrome.
  2. Uninstalled KIS 21.
  3. Removed KIS 20 via the remover tool. 
  4. Reinstalled KIS 21 (automatically installed extension).
  • Thanks 1