Kaspersky Protection Chrome Extension Causing High CPU Usage

yak27

I'm not sure where to report this so I'll do so here. The Chrome Extension that got added when I installed Kaspersky Free for Windows causes high CPU, as simple as that. Normal web browsing can easily cause a 20% increase. But in certain pages, ones that I guess are deemed questionable or aren't on a approved list, max it out making the web page and to an extant the computer unresponsive. I have a third gen i7 and while it's ageing (in some applications) there no reason it shouldn't handle browsing. This is, in my opinion, unexceptionable and as far as I'm concerned it's being kept disabled until the issue get resolved. This an image showing the CPU usage when disable switch Kaspersky Chrome Extension.

Hi yak27 welcome to the new Kaspersky Community. There is no support for free version. Users have different opinions about this, the first thing maybe you could try is clean your browser, of all the "junk' and make sure you have the latest Browser version installed. Thank you.

What sort of junk would a browser have? And Chrome is kept up to date automatically. Also, this is the browser extension we're talking about. The only affiliation with the free version is that's how it got installed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the paid editions use the same extension?

• 1 month later...
I'm experiencing exactly the same, with Chrome 74, add-on version 20.0.543.401 and Kaspersky Anti-Virus 19.0.0.1088 (e) on Windows 10. For this webpage, for instance : https_www_lesoir.be_225961/article/2019-05-26/flandre-tous-les-resultats-des-elections-regionales-2019-carte-interactive Chrome jumps to 80 % of CPU usage (and we're talking of an Intel Core i7-6700HQ), while using barely 1 % with extension disabled. I've uninstalled-reinstalled Chrome and the add-on but it doesn't change anything. I notice that the same add-on for Firefox doesn't slow anything down. So, I've disabled it.

I'm experiencing exactly the same, with Chrome 74, add-on version 20.0.543.401 and Kaspersky Anti-Virus 19.0.0.1088 (e) on Windows 10. For this webpage, for instance : https_www_lesoir.be_225961/article/2019-05-26/flandre-tous-les-resultats-des-elections-regionales-2019-carte-interactive Chrome jumps to 80 % of CPU usage (and we're talking of an Intel Core i7-6700HQ), while using barely 1 % with extension disabled. I've uninstalled-reinstalled both Chrome and the add-on but it doesn't change anything. I notice that the same add-on for Firefox doesn't slow anything down. So, I've disabled it. -------- Moderatin Edit : Same post in two different Topics merged

You mean "visiting this website in private browsing" ? I've just tried, and it's still using as much CPU. But given I've mentioned the address of this website where the add-on uses particularly big amounts of CPU, aren't you able to monitor it yourself ?

What is see in all browsers is a lot of attempts to collect data , also FF considers above URL as not 100% secure which might be the reason for some slowness on first load. On my side i can't reproduce the problem. The verdict on Kaspersky Virus Desk https://virusdesk.kaspersky.com is "Safe".

"also FF considers above URL as not 100% secure which might be the reason for some slowness on first load" Strange what you're saying because, as I said, I'm not experiencing any slowdown on Firefox, and on Chrome the slowdown lasts without interruption and doesn't occur only on first load. And on Chrome Webstore, several people are now rating the add-on with this minimal one star because of the freezes it causes to Chrome.

Hello Ivos, Just a little info for clarity, Kaspersky does offer support for Kaspersky Protection Extension sourced from the Google Play Store, however, Kaspersky Customers who use Kaspersky Free software are not able to access support from the Kaspersky Technical Team. All is not lost, keep persisting here, we'll all try to help. Thanks!

Hello Ivos, Just a little info for clarity, Kaspersky does offer support for Kaspersky Protection Extension sourced from the Google Play Store, however, Kaspersky Customers who use Kaspersky Free software are not able to access support from the Kaspersky Technical Team. All is not lost, keep persisting here, we'll all try to help. Thanks!
Well, thks, I actually own a Kaspersky Antivirus Licence, so I'm currently busy with the support trying to find out where the problem lies.

Thanks for letting us know Ivos, & that's good to hear. I was mistaken, 'cause of the the post URL: kaspersky-free-for-windows-72/kaspersky-protection-chrome-extension-causing-high-cpu-usage-578#post6936. & "the "Tech Support doesn't allow reports about the extension", that's very surprising? Kaspersky supports all components of their products if the Customer holds a valid licence. If you get a happy result please share here as your info will help, even if it's not so happy, it all helps? Best regards!

• 1 year later...

Hi I’ve been having the same issue the last few weeks and can’t find anywhere other than this thread to discuss. I’ve had Total Security for years without too much hassle but the last few weeks the extension for PM has been doing the same thing but sitting at 16% cpu utilisation constantly and then jumping up whenever it feels like to 20/30% which is giving me a headache tbh. I have tried everything suggested without any luck, please advise...

• 2 years later...

OMG after many months of frustration I've landed on this.

This is still an issue with latest Chrome version. Sometimes the CPU usage is fairly normal but other times the CPU usage skyrockets to 100% on Xeon E3-1280 v2 and another Ryzen 7 2700X system I have. Only happens with chrome and this extension installed.

What seems to trigger it is random mouse movements over UI elements like hyperlinks/buttons etc. on the webpage. It may or may not happen sometimes but when it does it's really bad it chokes the CPU and freezes applications hard until it's done doing what it wants.

I've removed the extension since yesterday and it's not happening anymore. I believe it's due to the extension being too old and some things sure must have changed with Chrome in all this time.

I love this AV and been using since a decade but this extension either needs to be updated or removed but if kept is trouble.

Edited by enthusiast29

• 5 months later...

Buenos días a todos.

A mi me está pasando lo mismo, el proceso "kaspersky native messaging server" dentro del Chrome se pone en actividad muy alta junto con algún proceso de Chrome. Todo está actualizado al 100%. Acabo de desinstalar el complemento de Kaspersky del Chrome y parece que se ha resuelto, pero ¿a que precio?, ¿estamos realmente protegidos sin este complemento?

Yo uso el Kaspersky Internet Security hace ya... ni se los años, pero mas de 15 seguro y nunca me había pasado esto. Estoy muy contento con este antivirus, pero me vuelvo a preguntar si estamos protegidos sin este complemento.