Kaspersky PROGRAMDATA folder taking up >4GB on C: drive

MrB

Hi

I noticed my ? drive was filling up and used WizTree to diagnose the culprit(s). Top of the list was Kaspersky with >4GB in C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP21.3 and a 3GB file C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP21.3\Report\g_objdt.dat, but does anyone know why the g_objdt.dat is so large and if it is possible to (easily) store all these app data files on another drive?

I'm running KTS v21.3.10.391 (i) on Win10.

Edited by MrB

Hello @MrB

Welcome!

Please let us know? 

Thank you?

Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
  • Like 1

Tx for the reply, for some reason I wasn't getting emailed topic reply notifications.

As I noted above, it's the g_objdt.dat file which is 3GB and takes up most of the (now increased to) 5GB total of the C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP21.3 folder.

Is there an issue in my case that this file is 3GB rather than the "normal 1-2GB"?

Reading the referenced thread, it seems a very poor limitation of the app that it doesn't permit storing such large data files elsewhere, and even more so that they become so large anyway. Swap or temporary files can usually be moved to any location so it seems odd that this file cannot.

Also I know developers get to run on the latest higher spec kit, but in the real world, folks can't just keep buying bigger and bigger system drives to acccomodate apps with poor housekeeping. Security should be made as easy as possible, and these hurdles to overcome don't really help. ?

Edited by MrB
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, MrB said:
  1. As I noted above, it's the g_objdt.dat file which is 3GB and takes up most of the (now increased to) 5GB total of the C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP21.3 folder. Is there an issue in my case that this file is 3GB rather than the "normal 1-2GB"?
  2. Reading the referenced thread, it seems a very poor limitation of the app that it doesn't permit storing such large data files elsewhere, and even more so that they become so large anyway. Swap or temporary files can usually be moved to any location so it seems odd that this file cannot.
  3. Also I know developers get to run on the latest higher spec kit, but in the real world, folks can't just keep buying bigger and bigger system drives to accommodate apps with poor housekeeping. Security should be made as easy as possible, and these hurdles to overcome don't really help. ?

Hello @MrB

You're most welcome!

Thank you for posting back & the additional information/comments. 

1. It's not possible to answer this question without analysing your system; that cannot be done in the Community, if you wish you may log a case with Kaspersky Support, select either Chat or Email, then fill in Application malfunction, Other, they may request logs, traces & other data, they will assist; however; in the first instance, we'd recommend uninstalling KTS, saving License information ONLY, do not check any other check box, complete the uninstall with a full reboot, make sure C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP21.3 folder has been removed; download a new KTS installer & perform a clean install, follow: How to install Kaspersky Total Security, including the: Check whether any applications installed on your computer are incompatible with Kaspersky Total Security; complete the install, then monitor the issue; if it persists, escalate to Kaspersky Support. 

2. & 3. Regarding the poor design & poor housekeeping, we agree, we've raised this with Kaspersky, ioo their response is less than satisfactory; there's a big difference between the requirements of an operating system an an anti-virus app; however, getting Kaspersky to recognise the issue is challenging, despite the complaints from a number of their subscribers. 

Please update the Community with progress of the issue if it's resolved by a clean install or if Support find any issues? 

• IF the *topic email notifications* issue persists, you may wish to let @Igor Kurzin & or @Danila T.know, send them a private message or use the Contact Us link - they will certainly be able to assist. 

Thank you?

Flood?+?

• Like 1

Tx for the most informative reply!

I tried to uninstall it but somehow it appears to have "updated" my install to Kaspersky Free instead. But in any case I have a lot more ? drive space now with the APPDATA Kaspersky Lab folder only taking up 800MB, so I will investigate this new version of the app. Tx again for all the helpful info.

BTW the topic/content email notification setting was rather buried in a sub menu and wasn't enabled by default so that is solved now.

Edited by MrB
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, MrB said:

I tried to uninstall it but somehow it appears to have "updated" my install to Kaspersky Free instead. 

I have a lot more ? drive space now with the APPDATA Kaspersky Lab folder only taking up 800MB, so I will investigate this new version of the app. 

BTW the topic/content email notification setting was rather buried in a sub menu and wasn't enabled by default so that is solved now.

Hello @MrB

You're most welcome!

• We're pleased to read there's a "lot more drive space", however, Kaspersky Total Security converting to Kaspersky Free does not sound right, certainly not an ideal outcome, unless there was a problem with the Kaspersky Total Security subscription, was it expired - for example??  
  • Kaspersky Free is basic, limited features, no Kaspersky firewall - Windows firewall instead & no Kaspersky Technical Support; if you're going to stay with Kaspersky Free, read all the documentation: About Kaspersky Free
  • IF you decide to change back to Kaspersky Total Security or use Kaspersky Plus, read the following guide: Switching from Kaspersky Free to a different subscription & also read guide written by @Danila T.Frequently asked questions (FAQ) Kaspersky: Basic, Standard, Plus, Premium.
  • We're also pleased to read the email notification issue has been resolved, good work?.

Any further issues or concerns, please do not hesitate to post back!

Thank you?

Flood?+?

• Like 1