Kaspersky Password Manager 9 has no proper search function

roknos
Go to solution Solved by Igor Kurzin,

Recently the search funtion of the Kaspersky Password Manager 9 (Win10) does not work as expected. When I type a word of a website login, for example ‘cornelsen’, it really should show me this as first entry:

Instead it shows me this (while the entry I was looking for comes up last):

That’s really not how a search engine should work. I’m not looking for a bunch of single letters.
Infact the same wrong entry will come up all the time because it simply has many different letters. I was able to provoke this even with the weirdest search words (sorry):

Mod edit: removed the image

The search function used to work fine and should be fixed to do so again.

Please!

Hello @roknos

Welcome!

Read before you create a new topic!

We’re unable to replicate the issue:

1. Make sure all Windows updates have a Successfully applied status?
  2. Confirm latest KPM version & patch(x) x = letter ? 
  3. Create a KPM Backup. 
  4. Close all browsers, do not re-open atm. 
  5. Uninstall KPM.
  6. Shutdown computer using Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login. 
  7. Download new KPM.
  8. Install KPM.
  9. Recheck issue? 
  10. If the issue persists,  Kaspersky Technical Support, fill in: Application malfunction, Other template; support may request Logs, Traces & other data, they will guide you.
  11. After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will be in touch, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in their MyKaspersky account.

➡ Please share the outcome with the Community when it’s available? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using Kaspersky Total Security for Windows 10 (current version 21.3.10.381(f)) with Kaspersky Password Manager for several years with great satisfaction. Now, my instance of Kaspersky Password Manager is suddenly displaying the same behavior as described by the OP.  I currently have version 9.0.2.19011(s)  installed and until very recently, the search function was working properly. That is, it was finding only the Password Manager entries containing the character *string* I typed into the search field. Now it is finding all entries that contain the characters in the search string, REGARDLESS of any other characters that may appear between the characters in the search string. For example, if I type “chase” in the search string, I expect Password Manager to list only those entries that contain the EXACT string “chase”.  But, instead, it now also lists entries like the following, which just happens to have a URL in it that just happens to have the characters  ‘c’, ‘h’, ‘a’, ‘s’, and ‘e’ in it, in the same order as in the string “chase”.

https://www.empireblue.com/health-insurance/home/ove...

This renders the search function in Kaspersky Password Manager unusable.

Hello again, @Flood and Flood's wife.

May I ask you what versions of Kaspersky Total Security and Kaspersky Password Manager you are using?

I see that you created an entry in your Password Manager installation that contained a URL containing the exact string “empire”, then showed that when you typed the character string “empire” in the search field, the search function only found your entry containing “empire” in it. This is expected behavior. When I type the string “empire” into the search field, my Password Manager also finds all entries that contain the exact string “empire.” My Password Manager also finds several other entries that contain the characters ‘e’, ‘m’, ‘p’, ‘i’, ‘r’, and ‘e’ in the same order as they appear in the string “empire”, but not as the exact string “empire”. Oddly, it also identifies an entry containing the following URL as a match with the search string “empire”, highlighting the substring “em” in the URL.

https://accounts.firefox.com/signin?service=sync&context=fx_desktop_v3&entrypoint=fxa_discoverability_native&action=email

Given that we all have different entries in our Password Manager installations, I would not necessarily have expected your Password Manager installation to find any entries containing all of the characters ‘c’, ‘h’, ‘a’, ‘s’ and ‘e’, in that order, either as exact strings or single characters appearing in a longer string in the same order as in the search string, so that attempt on your part to replicate the unexpected behavior encountered by the OP and me is inconclusive.

As to why your Password Manager installation did not identify your “App Asana” entry as a match for the search string “tapas”, I can only wonder at this point if you’re using the same Password Manager version (9.0.2.19011(s)) as I am.

To answer your question, I have not performed your recommended steps 1 through 9 contained in your reply to @roknos. I have performed your recommended step 10.

Thank you so much for your attempts to help resolve this issue for the OP and me.

@Igor Kurzin

I have the same problem.

The search function has been rendered almost useless because of this problem. When I enter a search word, I have to scroll down the list of entries that are displayed until I find the one I am looking for. This is not an insignificant problem. I am truly disappointed the fix will not be available until next year. Is there any way to expedite a fix for this problem? Is there a way to revert back to the previous release or patch level? I currently have 9.0.2.19011 (s) / 1633606949_7038 / 1.0.523.0-0.8.3.0_1

Hi all, We expect a fix of this issue in patch ‘T’, which is scheduled for January 2022. Sorry for the inconveniences.

Hello @Igor Kurzin

9.0.2.19011 (s) / 1633606949_7038 / 1.0.523.0-0.8.3.0_1

We also now have the same issue!

1. The issue did not exist pre patch(s); what did Kaspersky break? 
  2. Why is patch(s) still being rolled out with such a flaw? 
  3. Why do we all have to wait until Jan 2022 for a fix? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hi all, We expect a fix of this issue in patch ‘T’, which is scheduled for January 2022. Sorry for the inconveniences.

Hello @Igor Kurzin

9.0.2.19011 (s) / 1633606949_7038 / 1.0.523.0-0.8.3.0_1

We also now have the same issue!

1. The issue did not exist pre patch(s); what did Kaspersky break? 
  2. Why is patch(s) still being rolled out with such a flaw? 
  3. Why do we all have to wait until Jan 2022 for a fix? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

I am not pleased with the current version of KPM. I would very much like to reinstall the previous version rather than wait for next year. Does anyone know how I can revert back to the  patch level before 9.0.2.19011 (s)

1. The workaround is to search via Kaspersky Password Manager browser addon
  2. or via https://my.kaspersky.com/MyPasswords#/search

Hello @Igor Kurzin

Thank you for the update.

The search function fulfills more than one purpose. 

1. KPM browser extension is not a “workaround”, the same problem exists. 
  2. MyKaspersky KPM does not reflect the application, in all aspects. 
  3. IF internet access in not available, the MyKaspersky KPM solution is not viable. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

The search is now useless. If I type "bank" then every entry that has the letters 'b', 'a', 'n', and 'k' is displayed. This is ridiculous and I now have to search through 20 different entries to find the one that has the word "bank."

This has changed a few weeks ago and I request it be restored to be a useful search.

9.0.2.19011 (s) / 1633606949_7038 / 1.0.523.0-0.8.3.0_1

Does it really take 3 months to restore this feature that used to work properly? This is most annoying.

It’s nice to know that the company I am entrusting all of my personal data and online security to are unable to develop a basic functional search function and require 3 months to fix it.  

I’m not sure if anyone else is having the same issue as me but KPM is completely unstable on Windows 10, if I search for something it displays entries containing each letter of the string as OP described, but it also then proceeds to freeze and crash the program, forcing me to manually end the task and open KPM again. This does not happen on my Mac or iPhone. 

Here is the really strange part though… When I uninstall KPM and reinstall it, everything works fine, including the search, then when I change my DNS server to my Pi-hole server, everything goes back to how it was, crashing, broken search ect… Something tells me this issue is related to DNS somehow, is everyone in this thread using some custom DNS server? I would be curious to know as I think this is definitely DNS related.

EDIT: Upon changing my DNS server to my Pi-hole, I also noticed that the check for updates function no longer works (failed to connect, check your proxy settings….) until I reinstall KPM with my DNS back to 8.8.8.8 I checked my DNS server and it does not appear to be blocking any traffic to KPM domains, is there a list of KPM domains that I can check against? 

The search is now useless. If I type "bank" then every entry that has the letters 'b', 'a', 'n', and 'k' is displayed. This is ridiculous and I now have to search through 20 different entries to find the one that has the word "bank."

This has changed a few weeks ago and I request it be restored to be a useful search.

9.0.2.19011 (s) / 1633606949_7038 / 1.0.523.0-0.8.3.0_1

Does it really take 3 months to restore this feature that used to work properly? This is most annoying.

It took them 2 years to fix a major security vulnerability so I wouldn’t expect this to be done any quicker sadly.

Hello @Leeham

Welcome again!

Yes, it’s not just the dodgy search function that’s a problem with the last KPM patch, we also confirm the performance issues. 

You may wish to log a case with the same people who created the problem, ask them why?

On the support page, select either Chat or Email, fill in Application malfunction, Other template; support *will* request logs, traces & other data.

❗If you select Chat, we recommend you receive a copy of the chat transcript, make sure you fill in your email address AFTER the chat is activated by the Chat agent & complete the Verify your email address email that arrives AFTER the chat completes❗ ​

When it’s available, please share the outcome with the Kaspersky Community? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋