Kaspersky Lab Launcher using a lot of CPU

Go to solution Solved by Anton Mefodys,

Since update to the latest version, my computer is slowing down substantially.  Especially when I open Outlook or open a browser (Firefox or Chrome), the power usage would jump to as very high and the CPU would be up to 60%. Generally the CPU would be around 30% or 40% when I did not have anything open or running.

I am running Windows 10 prof and I am a paid customer of Kaspersky Internet Security.

Please advise how to fix this problem.

Hi,

I also experiencing the same problem. I did not done the clean boot but after exiting KTS all is working fine. Once KTS is started all starts again.

Reinstall did not helped.

I will try to raise request as suggested.

I deleted KIS and reinstalled it again.  It was working fine. But when I turned on my computer the next day, the same problem appeared.

I have made a request to Tech Support.

Hello,

Try to find which application running in the OS background environment. such as the application running in system boot automatically. A idea could use to search the application. Sort the CPU usage from high to low, and then post the screenshot here.

Regards.

Hello,

Same problem with kaspersky lab launcher, very often it has a high cpu usage that lasts for some time, but after awhile it drops to 0.1% cpu usage. This behavior is something new, i’ve been using kis since 2016 but recently after some updates, it became noticeable because my cpu temps always spiked for long periods of time, and the only process that was hogging the cpu in task manager was “kaspersky lab launcher” other processes were like <1%. I’ve also checked, when the launcher was hogging the cpu, in kaspersky\s interface to see if any background tasks were running at that time but nothing recent was ran so the high cpu usage shouldn’t be happening.

Same problem. Kaspersky Lab launcher 30% CPU usage. Try switching it off and on again. So go to KIS settings, click on File Anti-Virus, make sure Security level is Optimal, turn File Anti-Virus off, save, confirm. You will receive warning notifications. Turn File Anti-Virus back on, save, confirm. Kaspersky Lab launcher should now be using 0 to 0.4% CPU usage. 

i have the same problem this stupid thing is slowing down my pc drastically tried reinstalling tried everything works for a day next day it pops up again this is xxxxxxx irritating 

I am facing same issue. Is there any official response from Kaspersky … maybe i missed it. What should we do? 

Hello @rajsanghvi  & @Governor,

Welcome!

Follow the instructions provided above by @Anton Mefodys & @richbuff.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

try https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd to identify probable influence from third party applications.

If the issue persits, create a request to Tech Support

Thank you!

Same problem - Kaspersky taking up constant 20 - 30% CPU.  Working through the Microsoft Support article referenced by Anton Mefodys did the trick, though it took me well over an hour.  In my case (on a Dell Inspiron 5000 series running Windows 10) the culprit turned out to be “True Color” which was enabled to run at Startup.  If you’ve got the same issue, check if you’ve got that running and try disabling it (Task Manager » Startup » right click on True Color, Disable » Restart); if that works, you’ve saved yourself some time, otherwise, it’s back to Anton’s MS article and work through it.
PS:
It’s well worth following the recommendation in the MS article to use the “rule of halves” when troubleshooting - if I had not done that it would have taken an awful lot longer to work through all my Services one by one! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I’m sorry for late report in this thread. I’m using latest Kaspersky Internet Security version at Windows 10 x64 Pro (ver. 21H1 OS build 19043.1165). 

My “Kasperky Lab launcher” (which is Kaspersky Anti-virus Service 21.3) always activates to consume up to 40% of my CPU usage when I start using Matlab R2021a, even I rates Matlab execution file as “Trusted” and stop “File antivirus” section. 

It seems that everything goes crazy after I double clicked at Matlab.exe. Not only Kaspersky Lab launcher consumes the most usage of my CPU, the new update version of “Program Compatibility Assistant Service” does as well. Totally CPU’s usage would be up to 100%.

Do you have any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Just went through the ordeal described on the microsoft page. Yes, finally found the culprits. It was not Kaspersky...I recommend to reserve 2 h or so, since you will go through frequent reboots. I had a scribble block next to me to note down which parts I disabled and what the RAM / CPU usage was after each step. Because after a few changes you turn mad ;-)

But in the end I was able to bring down RAM from 7.3 GB usage to 4.2 GB. Main memory eater was Docker Desktop which I only need from time to time but which after an update was configured to fire up each time Wnidows starts. 

And also as a hint, even if I disable EVERYTHING according to the MS article I still have a MEM usage of 3.4 GB. So, at least on my computer (Lenovo Yoga C930 with 12 GB RAM and WIN10) the stories from people saying 2 GB is all that WIN and the basic services occupy is simply not applicable. 

Hint #2: I also could not believe that the total of all programs / services listed in the MS resource monitor should amount up to the total RAM usage listed. But I sat down finally with a calculator and it is really adding up to this. So, no hidden VM mem eaters or whatever some people claim that there is in the dark shadows of your MS system ;-)

There’s a certain development that started with the 2020 version and is still present in 21.3.10.391(f). I monitor my computer’s resource usage very carefully and notice if anything changes. The development mentioned is a slight elevation of CPU activity from either Kaspersky Lab Launcher service or avpui.exe, and sometimes Windows task manager itself whenever KIS produces a popup, such as a detection, or when I choose the “Scan” menu from the interface’s dashboard. I need not even start a scan to trigger it, but context menu scanning is still unaffected. The change is insignificant in my case, but with a slower system it might not be when a user is multitasking.

I wish Kaspersky would look into this.

I am using a laptop and I recently had a problem with high temps of CPU. My CPU usage was very high for Google Chrome. I have opened a few tabs - around 12 tabs. 

I figured to uninstall Kaspersky Total Security and remove the Kaspersky Extension from Google Chrome and guess what? From 20% ++ CPU usage, it decreased to 1.1 - 1.5%. My fan noise is not noisy as when Kaspersky was installed. The temperature is slightly better now.