Kaspersky Internet Security locked my Samsung Galaxy J5, How do I get the PIN? [Closed]

Eli
Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

Kaspersky Internet Security - free licence- locked my Samsung Galaxy J5 - Android 6 Mashmallow. already typed the Recovery Code provided by My Kaspersky and it didn't unlock the phone. Then I disconnected the device from the protection and it still asks me for a PIN to unlock it, but I have no clue on how to get it. What am I supposed to to unlock my phone?

Kaspersky Internet Security - free licence- locked my Samsung Galaxy J5 - Android 6 Mashmallow. already typed the Recovery Code provided by My Kaspersky and it didn't unlock the phone. Then I disconnected the device from the protection and it still asks me for a PIN to unlock it, but I have no clue on how to get it. What am I supposed to to unlock my phone?

• Solution
Hello Eli, Welcome! As you are using KISA free, sadly, Kaspersky do not provide support from the Technical Support Team, so let's see if we can help:
  1. KISA version#?
  2. Do you have backups of all critical data running on your phone?
  3. Before using the MyKaspersky "RECOVERY" code, on the android locked screen, did a message display:
"Forgot your code?" Please let us know? Thanks!

Hi Flood! Thanks for your reply! 1. I don't know the version, but it was updated 2, maximum 3 weeks ago. 2. Most of it. I don't have recent backups for my WhatsApp account and some recent documents. That's my main concern. 3. The message says to return the device to the owner. I was in the middle of a call when it stopped working. I was able to use the regular Samsung keyboard to type my password. When I called back the person I was talking to it locked the device and showed up the message above. I went to My Kaspersky to get the required PIN. A RECOVERY CODE - 16 numbers - were given. Tryed it out a couple of times. It didn't unlock the device. Same message shows up. Then I disconnected the device on My Kaspersky. Nothing changed. Same message. The device is still locked. Thanks for your help.

Hello Eli, Thanks for posting back and the detailed infromation. It helps a lot!
  1. Re "WhatsApp", doesn't that application backup your encrypted info to a Whatsapp cloud service?
  2. Can you access your Whatsapp account from a Windows PC?
  3. If you can, you can backup the data & or be reassured the data is safe.
  4. Did you have KISA setup with the "Data Wipe" option selected, if "YES" you can wipe the phone via your online MyKaspersky account, then perform a [physical] full factory reset of the device.
  5. If, because you selected "disconnect device", you now cannot "reconnect" via the MyKaspersky account, you'll need to perform a full factory reset.
  6. Please let us if a full factory reset is the only option left to you & we'll post back steps?
Thanks!

Thanks again for your help. 1. I am not sure. I'm afraid I had to have the backup through my Google account. It's saved on drive I guess. 2 and 3. I can do that. I'try it out. 4 and 5. Yes I disconnected it from My Kaspersky. 6. Só now the only option is the full factory reset? Can I perform it or should I go to Samsung Support for that? TThank you so much. I really appreciate your help.

Hello Eli, We're very happy to help and very sorry the issue exists! Before doing a factory reset, power off the device, (on another device) login to your MyKaspersky account, power on the android & check to see if the device synchronises, if it does you'll be able to select "Data Wipe" If the android does not show, reconnect/syncronise with the account, please let us know, we'll step you thru a factory reset. One other thing to ask Eli, did you setup the sim with a pin code? Thanks!

Thanks Flood. By " did you setup the sim with a pin code?" you mean if I added a PIN CODE to the SIM? If that's correct, no I didn't. Is it possible the PIN that's required has something to do with the SIM? Thanks!

I'm no expert here but I didn't think free KIS gave the user the option to select anti-theft. I have the premium version so don't know for sure. How do you usually get to your desktop screen, swiping to remove the lock? Is the phone originally yours as that screen looks familiar to the one I got recently when somehow the device lock screen was changed from swipe to PIN under settings>security. If the phone wasn't originally yours it's possible that the original owner set a PIN to remove the lock but switched it to swipe when you got it. If it was always yours and you never set a pin then try just leaving the field blank and pressing ok. btw is there a reason why you aren't on android version 9?

Hi Flood! The MASHMALLOW device doesn't show at all in the My Kaspersky on line account. The problem persists", does this mean the second device is now also "locked" unable to be accessed? = Just the 1st device remains locked. The 2nd device is working fine with the same SIM . Thanks!

Hi petsy! The free KIS does have the anti-theft option. I unlock my device with password, just letters, no numbers. And the KIS keyboard - that's in the picture I attached - doesn't allow letters, just numbers. I am the 1st and only owner of this device. And I've never had a problem with it. I am not on Android 9 cos' it's an old device. I guess this version is not supported. Thanks for your help!

Hello Eli,
  1. I've locked my device, the lock flash screens are from KISA.
  2. Remote management via the MyKaspersky account will not work unless the device is connected & synchronised.
----------- (My phone) At this screen, AFTER I select "UNLOCK" I enter my PIN CODE = numbers.
  1. (in the following screen) Is this where you unlock your device with password, letters, no numbers?
  2. Your "pin" in this screen, is in alphabetical code?
----------------------- The only incompatabilty issue (MR21) Kaspersky reports for Samsung Android 9 is:
  1. "On Samsung devices with Android 9, when an app is locked by the App Lock feature, you can unlock the app only using the pattern or your secret code. Fingerprint scanning is not available."
  1. If the device remains disconnected or unknown (not even visible) in the MyKaspersky portal, no interaction with the installed Kaspersky application will function correctly.
Please post back if you need help with factory reset? Thanks!

Hello Flood!
  1. (in the following screen) Is this where you unlock your device with password, letters, no numbers?
Not really. This screen is KIS isn't it? I've never seen it before. I attached the picture of the lock screen where my PIN is in alphabetical code. I use the regular Samsung keyboard to unlock it.
  1. Your "pin" in this screen, is in alphabetical code?
That's the problem, since this is KIS screen, I think, I don't know what PIN it requires. It doesn't accept the alphabetical code here. If I can't unlock the device and there's no other option I do need help for factory reset. Thank you so much for your help!

Hello Eli, Thanks for posting back. Let's do a checkpoint before we make any changes: In this screen (BLUE background) , which you've not seen before, your phone unlock alphabetical code is not working and the Kaspersky RECOVERY CODE - 16 numbers, is not working? In this screen (flower backgroud), your phone unlock alphabetical code is not working and the Kaspersky RECOVERY CODE - 16 numbers, is not working? Please let us know? Thanks Eli!

Hi Flood! I used "unfortunately" just because it was something that I wanted to avoid, but there was nothing else to do. But the device is working fine now. I guess I realized what was wrong. About a month ago there was a system update that now I believe didn't go well. I think so cos' now that the device was restored and the system reinstalled I noticed that there were some errors concerning some settings like personal preferences in the display, for example. But I couldn't tell it before. So, maybe that caused the KIS bug. The device is fine now. I did lost some critical data, but my fault really, cos' I didn't have recent backups. I haven't reinstalled KIS yet. Even though it wasn't a KIS problem it was not a pleasant experience. Maybe I will install it later but haven't so far. If there's anything else I could add that would be helpful let me know. Again thanks a lot for your help! Problem solved. Thanks! Here's the screenshot of the unlock screen. The regular keyboard is back. ?

Hello Eli, Thank you for letting us know you're able to use your phone again. We're glad the factory reset - even tho drastic - was the solution, to recover access to your phone and we do appreciate your feedback. Even tho being locked out was very stressful, as soon as you're able, please install some protection for the phone. These devices are as important in our daily lives as laptops & pcs and are just as vulnerable to attack. Also, having a backup solution running in the background ensures data is never lost. And, when the need arises, the Community is always here to help :relaxed: Best regards!

Hi Flood! Thank you so much for your help and support. It's crucial in moments like this, as you said are stressful, to count on guys like you that are willing to be truly helpful. I can't thank you and also petsy enough. It's a good point on security you've got here. I'll install KIS back asp. Thand for everything! Kind regards!

• 5 months later...

I have the same problem, my smartphone is locked, we don't know the pin since I never set it and in an attempt to unlock it from the computer I made to disconnect the smartphone. I understand that I need to restore the factory version, but how can I access my phone to restore the factory version?

Hello  @Sabri,

Welcome!

• A factory reset will reset the phone to default, everything will be wiped, that’s if it’s done manually or via your MyKaspersky account, before you do a factory reset, please tell me: 
  1. When you say “in an attempt to unlock it from the computer I made to disconnect the smartphone”, does that mean, in your MyKaspersky account you disconnected the device? 
  2. If you set up KIS Anti-theft, a pin code was created, otherwise Anti-theft cannot have been setup.
  3. Post an image of the pin request screen please? 

Please post back?

Thank you