Kaspersky Internet Security freezing pc whenever there is a high internet usage

Creeper

Hello, I had been experiencing stuttering audio issue since I had upgrade my internet connection to a 100 Mbps Fiber Connection a few weeks ago. I was using a wireless 4G Mobile Network through a 4G router before which only had a download and upload speed of 23+ Mbps.

I found out that it was Kaspersky Internet Security causing the stuttering issue when there is a high internet usage after searching a lot on google. At first I thought it was the Ethernet LAN driver so I had tried upgrading and downgrading the driver version but none of them helped.

I did not experience this problem with my old connection because it only had a download and upload speed of 23+ Mbps which was slow but with the new 100Mbps connection when I do a speed test or watch a YouTube video the audio and my mouse cursor would freeze for a second several times if the video is still downloading, it affects the PC audio as a whole. It doesn’t matter if I play a music or video on YouTube, Windows Media Player, VLC, or Browsers (Chrome and Firefox) whenever there is a high internet usage but when the downloading is done and there is no internet usage the problem is gone.

It doesn’t seem to effect me while gaming or while streaming a video on facebook because it only uses a few Mbps around 20, it only happens when the download and upload speed gets above 50+ Mbps.

Turning off Kaspersky Internet Security completely fixes the issue but when I turn the Anti virus back on the pc would start freezing again when there is a high internet usage. Using the internet through Wifi doesn’t seem to be effected with the stuttering problem.

So I had tried uninstalling Kaspersky Internet Security and downloaded the latest version and installed it and this seem to have fixed the stuttering issue.

I am however facing another problem with Kaspersky Internet Security, it says that “Network Attack Blocker is not enabled with error code 2789474320”. I used KAVREMOVER to remove completely but I’m still facing the problem, it says “some protection components are corrupted” I had already installed twice with different installers but still facing the problem.

On the Notification Center it says some protection components are corrupted and when I got to settings > protection. It says off from the outside but when I click on Network Attack Blocker its turned on inside the settings. I also keep getting spammed with the message on the windows 10 notification. Please help me fix the problem. Thanks!

Hello @Creeper

1. Has Kaspersky Technical Support been advised of the update you’ve provided here? 
  2. Did Kaspersky Technical Support advise to use KAVREMOVER? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello @Flood and Flood's wife ,

1. No, I haven’t provided the update to the Kaspersky Technical Support yet.
  2. No, I had been using KAVREMOVER for many years now. Whenever I try to repair or do a clean installation I use KAVREMOVER to uninstall the Anti-Virus.

I have fixed the “some protection components are corrupted” issue by running the Kaspersky setup without uninstalling the previous installation.

The new Kaspersky version 21.1.15.500 still have the stuttering problem so I have done a few more test, and I have found out that “Network Attack Blocker” is causing the stuttering / freezing problem. If I turn the Network Attack Blocker off there is no more stuttering problem. So I have turned off the Network Attack Blocker for now.

Will I be at risk if I turn off the Network Attack Blocker feature off until it gets fixed?

I have also attached the GSI & Windows Logs

@Creeper Please see this K-Lab article: https://support.kaspersky.com/common/error/other/14827

@Berny I have already fixed the components error by overwriting the already installed Kaspersky with a Setup file without uninstalling the previous installation.

Its the Network Attack Blocker now that’s causing the stuttering / freezing problem. If I turn it off the problem goes away but if I turn it back on it starts stuttering and freezing again. Thanks!

Hello,

When I used downloading software and AVP for a long time, I found that the CPU thread they shared together turned out to be the virtual core of Hyper-Threading Technology.
Known features of Hyper-Threading technology: "When prioritizing virtual cores instead of real cores, the computational efficiency is extremely low."
So draw the conclusion:
A. Prioritize the use of real cores instead of virtual cores.
B. Separate Kaspersky threads and download software threads to run on different real cores.

So this issue maybe related to utilize the heterogeneous scheduling function of windows 10 to disguise all hyperthreads as small cores, to achieve priority use of non-hyperthreaded cores and reduce thread switching cores, which can reduce response delays and improve program performance and single-core performance without affecting multithreading performance.

As a workground, In order to improve your CPU performance and make full use of hyper-threading technology.

1. Create a REG registry file with the following content:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel]
"DefaultDynamicHeteroCpuPolicy"=dword:00000000
"DynamicCpuPolicyExpectedRuntime"=dword:00001450
"DynamicHeteroCpuPolicyImportant"=dword:00000002
"DynamicHeteroCpuPolicyImportantShort"=dword:00000000
"DynamicHeteroCpuPolicyMask"=dword:00000004
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel\KGroups\00]
"SmallProcessorMask"=dword:00000555
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318584]
"Attributes"=dword:00000000

2. Modify the value of SmallProcessorMask in above reg file: 2 cores and 4 threads are changed to 00000005, 4 cores and 8 threads are changed to 00000055, 6 cores and 12 threads are changed to 00000555, and 8 cores and 16 threads are changed to 00005555 (due to the actual measurement of Windows 10 under 0 2 4 threads are hyperthreads, so it is 010101010101, and their hexadecimal value is 555. Here, the 00 in KGroups\00 is the number 1 cpu, if it is a multi-channel cpu, you also need to set 01 and so on.)

3. After modifying and saving as a reg file, double-click and import it, enter the "Power Options" in the system settings and open the "Change Advanced Power Settings" in the power scheme you need to use, and find "For the first Restart the computer after placing the minimum number of cores for processor performance cores with similar processor power efficiency" to 100%.

THIS WILL IMPROVE CPU PERFORMANCE. While increasing the download speed of the download software, reduce the CPU occupancy rate of the AVP process so that AVP will not stuck the system when scan network traffic created by download software.

Another workground is that: Set download software proceess to trusted application and exclude “scan all network traffic”.

There is an old Chinese saying: It is impossible to want a horse to run and not to eat grass.

Regards.

Hello @Wesly.Zhang ,

I had tried adding Google Chrome to trusted application but the stuttering / freezing problem is still there when there is a high internet usage.

I did not try the above registry file yet because I had Hyper Threading disabled on my system for a long time now as it creates stuttering issues in some games like Metro 2033 Redux and Metro Last Light. My processor in an Intel Core i7 4770K and since I had Hyper Threading disabled the processor now reports 4 Cores 4 Threads (Hyper-Threading disabled), not 4 Cores 8 Threads (Hyper-Threading enabled). Since I didn’t know the value to edit I didn’t try the above registry.

For now I have turned off  the “Network Attack Blocker” as its the one causing the stuttering / freezing issue. Turning it off completely fixes the problem. Thanks!

Hello @Wesly.Zhang ,

I had tried adding Google Chrome to trusted application but the stuttering / freezing problem is still there when there is a high internet usage.

I did not try the above registry file yet because I had Hyper Threading disabled on my system for a long time now as it creates stuttering issues in some games like Metro 2033 Redux and Metro Last Light. My processor in an Intel Core i7 4770K and since I had Hyper Threading disabled the processor now reports 4 Cores 4 Threads (Hyper-Threading disabled), not 4 Cores 8 Threads (Hyper-Threading enabled). Since I didn’t know the value to edit I didn’t try the above registry.

For now I have turned off  the “Network Attack Blocker” as its the one causing the stuttering / freezing issue. Turning it off completely fixes the problem. Thanks!

Hello,

high internet usage

Which software lead to high internet usage. Chrome or other software? Please set the program that causes high network traffic as a trusted program( Only set do not scan network traffic )except browsers ,browsers, em… browsers (Important things need say three times) for cyber security considerations in order to avoid malicious javascript (XSS) attack and shellcode attack.

when I do a speed test or watch a YouTube video the audio and my mouse cursor would freeze for a second several times if the video is still downloading

Does this behavior happen in chrome, firefox, edge? how high cpu usage of the avp and browser process when os stuck?

Please kill those processes to check this issue:

Regards.

GSI & Windows Logs 

Your Windows Event Log contains multiple Errors and Warnings that are pointing to Kaspersky e.g.

“Application: Kaspersky Internet Security -- Error 29000.
You must close Kaspersky Internet Security before proceeding with the installation.”

“Application: Kaspersky Secure Connection -- Error 29000.
You must close Kaspersky Secure Connection before proceeding with the installation.”

Hello @Wesly.Zhang ,

High Internet Usage

It could be any program or software, like for example if I use Chrome and Firefox to watch a 1080p or 4K video on YouTube or download a file using the browsers, using Steam, Origin or Uplay to download games, windows update, etc If I have a music or video playing while using those programs (while downloading) the audio would stutter / freeze like when you have a BSOD for a few seconds, the stuttering and freezing would keep happening every few seconds as long as the internet is in use.

I tried adding chrome in trusted application and ran a speed test to see if problem is fixed but the stuttering / freezing was still there.

Network Attack Blocker is not enabled with error code 2789474320

I have already fixed this issue by running a Kaspersky setup on top of the already installed Kaspersky. So all the features are working now. For some reason when I do a clean install I get the following error.

From GSI 6.0 report. I see two adapters need be deleted

Those 3 drivers are actually the drivers of my TP-Link Dual Band Wifi Adapter that I’m currently using on my PC.

Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #3 (2.4Ghz)

Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #4 (5Ghz)

TP-Link Wireless USB Adapter by Microsft (The driver for the Wifi dongle)

When I do a speed test or watch a YouTube video the audio and my mouse cursor would freeze for a second several times if the video is still downloading

Yes, it happens on every program that’s using the internet, not just chrome, firefox or edge. The CPU usage is normal when the stutter / freezing happens. The freezing can happen even on 9% CPU usage. I have also checked the CPU usage of both Chrome and Kaspersky when the freezing happened the CPU usage were both around 2 or 3% usage.

I have also killed those 3 processes but the stuttering / freezing is still happening. Those are actually the process for monitoring CPU, RAM, GPU Usage & Temp, FPS, etc. while playing games. Thanks!

GSI & Windows Logs 

Your Windows Event Log contains multiple Errors and Warnings that are pointing to Kaspersky e.g.

“Application: Kaspersky Internet Security -- Error 29000.
You must close Kaspersky Internet Security before proceeding with the installation.”

“Application: Kaspersky Secure Connection -- Error 29000.
You must close Kaspersky Secure Connection before proceeding with the installation.”

Hello @Berny,

The GSI and Windows Event Logs attached to this topic is an old log from when I had trouble getting the Kaspersky installation to install without getting the components corrupted. This issue is already fixed. I had already provided the latest log to Kaspersky Technical Support Team. Thanks!

Hello,

Could you try to use LAN instead of tp-link usb wifi adapter? I mean you remove TP-Link usb wifi adapter from you PC and use a network cable connect from rounter to you network card of PC. Please check does this issue also happen on LAN? I want to know whether this issue is related to your usb wifi adapter or not.

Regards.

@Wesly.Zhang

Hello,

I mainly use the LAN connection on my PC. The TP-Link USB Wifi Adapter is only used for back up when my main internet connection is down.

I had already tried removing the TP-Link USB Wifi Adapter from the PC and tested with the Wifi adapter unplugged but the stuttering / freezing problem is still there.

This problem is mostly noticeable on LAN connection as there is much more frequent stuttering / freezing with the LAN connection when the internet usage is high. I cannot confirm if the stuttering / freezing issue is preset on Wifi Adapter yet because the Wifi seem to be working fine without the stuttering / freezing problem, I had only heard the audio freeze one or twice with the Wifi adapter I think, I’ll have to do more testing with the Wifi Adapter to confirm the problem.

UPDATE: The Wifi Adapter doesn’t have the stuttering / freezing problem but there is sometimes a popping or freezing sound that happens rarely and is not very noticeable.

Hello,

If KL support give you some information or advices, Please try to use their information or advices to create some data and send to them.

If it is convience, Could you do a simple operation to chech this issue.

Please run this comand in command prompt (cmd.exe) with administartor privilege.

sc query type= driver group= NDIS >> c:\query_ndis_filter_reslut.txt

It will returns the result. Please upload the c:\query_ndis_filter_reslut.txt to here.

Another question: which graphics card does your machine use. Intel integrated graphics or nvidia ? Please check this.

BTW. If this behavior will lead to bsod, Please collect the memory dump and set to KL support.

Regards.

Hello,

Thank you for replying back. Should we do a test for kaspersky ndis filter driver? The operation is simple and as below:

1. Disable KL product self-defense. You know how to disable it, right?
  2. Execute the command in command prompt with administrator privilige:
    sc stop klim6
    sc config klim6 start=disabled

3. Rename C:\windows\system32\drivers\klim6.sys as klim6.sys.bak.
  4. Reboot PC
  5. Enable KL product self-defense.
  6. Check this issue again. Please post back the result.

Regards.

Hello @Wesly.Zhang,

I have executed the commands as instructed and the stuttering / freezing is completely gone and I feel that my internet feels much more smoother and the mouse cursor as well, I’m not sure if my computer feel much smoother as a whole as well. Thanks!

Hello,

Now you can send information to KL support. Tell them klim6.sys related to this issue.

Regards.

Hello @Wesly.Zhang ,

Kaspersky Technical Support Team asked me to follow these steps to send the traces to them but I’m stuck on Step 4. Can you please help?

1. As you have mentioned that Network Attack Blocker seems to be the issue please re-enable it

2. Enable Tracing. Click on the customer support icon in the bottom left corner of the main Kaspersky window – Support Tools - Enable traces.

3. Reboot your PC and wait for Kaspersky to start.

4. Please re-attempt downloading. Please give it a few minutes

5. Disable Tracing. Click on the customer support icon in the bottom left corner of the main Kaspersky window – Support Tools - Disable traces (stop).

6. Send us the resulting traces.

I tried to install the Kaspersky Setup after following step 3 and let it download but it ask me to restart my computer every time as the previous Kaspersky installation is still installed and it removes the whole Kaspersky Internet Security Anti Virus when the computer restarts and after the computer reboots it start downloading automatically and installs the anti virus. When I go to disable the tracing, its not running and there is no tracing results as it probably got removed during the automatic uninstallation when running the Kaspersky setup. I have asked them to clarify step 4 and still waiting for the reply.

I have also tried to update them about the klim6.sys related issue but my support request is stuck on “Waiting for processing the request”  so I cannot add a new reply.

And is it safe to leave the “klim6.sys” disabled or should I re-enable it back?  Thanks!

Hello,

Why do you install kaspersky setup? I don’t know what problem……

First, You should have installed kasepersky product. If yes, You don’t run kaseprsky installation file to install product again.

Second, In order to do the test provided by kl support. You should recover the klim services settings via the following step.

1. Disable KL product self-defense.
  2. Rename C:\windows\system32\drivers\klim6.sys.bak as klim6.sys.
  3. Execute the command in command prompt with administrator privilige:
    sc start klim6
    sc config klim6 start=boot

4. Reboot PC
  5. Enable KL product self-defense.

Third: Go to follow step 3 provided by kl support to enable traces (step2) and reproduce the issue (Let you OS stuck), after reproduce issue go to disable traces (step5) and collect the traces file via: Support > Support Tools > Send report to Technical Support > Check "Operating system information" and "Data received for analysis" > Save report on your computer > Save file to "Desktop" > Upload this saved file to My Kaspersky Technical Request (step 6).

Fourth: After submitting the traces file, you can temporarily stop the klim6 service to get rid of the system freeze problem, just as my previous post said.

If you have any question, Please reply back, Let me know.

Regards.