Kaspersky Free AntiVirus Constant Updating and Disabling

roso

What is wrong with this antivirus program? I've been using it for a couple of years, no issue. For the past few months, it's been updating multiple times a day requiring program restart. When I click yes to restart the program, it restarts then silently disables itself. I look in my system tray and there's a red Kaspersky icon. I click on it and it says the program is disabled and I have to manually enable it. WTF? Why should I have to manually enable an antivirus program that I did not disable myself? And 5 minutes after I re-enable it, I get another pop up telling me about a new update requiring restart. AGAIN? WTF?

Never had to deal with this crap before. Any idea what is going on or how to fix it?

Thank you.

Edited by roso

Hello @roso

Welcome!

• ?It sounds as if an update is waiting to be applied *correctly*??
  1. Which Kaspersky software name, version & patch(x), x = letter, is installed, -> on the Windows taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select About?
  2. Which Windows 10, version & build - How to find the version of your operating system
  3. In the Kaspersky application, main window, are there are yellow icons
  4. In the Kaspersky application Notification center, are there any outstanding messages, IF "yes", what do they say
  5. When was the last time the computer was shutdown, using Shutdown, not Restart, then powered on, with the power button?  

Please let us know?

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Version 21.5.11.384 (c)

Windows 10 Version 2004 Build 19041.685

No yellow icons.

One recommendation asking if I want to make Firefox bulletproof.

Last time I shut down was maybe a month ago give or take.

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, roso said:

Version 21.5.11.384(c), Windows 10 Version 2004 Build 19041.685; No yellow icons; One recommendation asking if I want to make Firefox bulletproof. Last time I shut down was maybe a month ago give or take.

Hello @roso

Thank you for posting back & the information!

1. Is the Kaspersky icon in the system try still showing red - even intermittently? 
  2. Which region are you in please? 
  3. When the computer is shutdown, is it done as follows: select Shutdown, not Restart, then power on, with the power button?  

Thank you?
Flood?+?

• Like 1

Hi @Flood and Flood's wife,

The icon only shows red after I get a pop up asking me if I'd like to restart Kaspersky after it was updated. When I click Yes, I guess it restarts but in disabled mode and the red icon shows. Then I have to open up Kaspersky and manually enable it.

I am in Los Angeles, CA USA.

Yes, when I shut down the computer it was the way you described. But that's pretty rare. Like once a month or two.

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

Hi @Igor Kurzin,

I clicked the link you provided but it took me to page to download the update for iPhone only. I am using a Windows 10 desktop PC.

I opened up my Kaspersky to see if there were any links to any updates recommended and it showed nothing about a newer version. Maybe the newer version you provided is only for Apple?

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, roso said:

Hi @Igor Kurzin,

I clicked the link you provided but it took me to page to download the update for iPhone only. I am using a Windows 10 desktop PC.

Hello @roso,

@Igor Kurzin link again, Kaspersky Free for Windows®

image.thumb.png.cf0f9707ca7106cb982b411d9115bcce.png

1. Uninstall the existing software, during the uninstall, only select save LICENSE information only, do not check any other check boxes. leave all other check boxes blank/empty
  2. At the end of the uninstall, shutdown/reboot the computer. 
  3. Power on, login.
  4. Download Kaspersky Free for Windows®.
  5. Install Kaspersky Free 21.8.
  6. At the end of the install, make sure Kaspersky Free is synchronized with your MyKaspersky account, by signing into your MyKaspersky account, from Kaspersky Free application?
  7. Run a manual Database update - allow it to complete? 
  8. Shutdown the computer, using Shutdown, not Restart. 
  9. Power on, login.
  10. Run a Full scan - allow it to complete? 
  11. Check the Kav Free version
  12. Monitor for the red icon & any other issues?

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roso said:

I was unable to uninstall. I got an error message. Please see screenshot. Why are you putting a ? at the end of every sentence?

Hello @roso, Roy

? represent a question, requiring an answer/response/acknowledgement from you - as in, "did this step, completed ok"; you'd be surprised how many people ignore numbered question marked steps, only to say, when things stuff up, "oh, did I have to do that?".

Moving right along.

Read & follow these steps carefully please, no LOL

1. Create a System restore point.
  2. Download Kavremover.
  3. ?Run the computer in Safe Mode
  4. Run the Kavremover exe.
  5. Read the End User License Agreement. Select Accept to agree to the terms.
  6. Enter the security code from the image. 
  7. Select the Kaspersky application you wish to remove - you'll be selecting Kaspersky 21.5.11.384(c)
  8. Select Remove. 
  9. Wait until you receive a notification that the application was successfully removed.
  10. A popup will show: Remove operation finished, you need to reboot your computer, OK, select OK, then reboot/restart the computer to start in normal mode. 
  11. Download Kaspersky Free for Windows®
  12. Install Kaspersky Free 21.8
  13. At the end of the install, make sure Kaspersky Free is synchronized with your MyKaspersky account, by signing into your MyKaspersky account, from Kaspersky Free application?
  14. Run a manual Database update - allow it to complete? 
  15. Shutdown the computer, using Shutdown, not Restart. 
  16. Power on, login.
  17. Run a Full scan - allow it to complete? 
  18. Check the Kav Free version
  19. Monitor for the red icon & any other issues?

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

• 1 month later...

Hi @Flood and Flood's wife

After looking at your 19 point list, I had to put that at the bottom of my to do list as it looked like a major headache that would take hours.

Anyway, I just restarted my computer today and the problem magically fixed itself. It updated by itself to the latest version. So glad I didn't have to go through all that.

Thank you for your help anyway!

Now on to fix all my other broken stuff.

Edited by roso
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, roso said:

Anyway, I just restarted my computer today and the problem magically fixed itself. It updated by itself to the latest version.

Hello @roso

You're most welcome!

Thank you for taking the time to update the Community!

1. We're delighted to read the issue was resolved by: computer restartKaspersky software updating to the latest version; keep in mind: Kaspersky patches & versions arrive silently, they wait for 7 days, if the computer is not rebooted in that 7 days, the Kaspersky icon will turn red, & various other notifications we mentioned previously.
  2. Good housekeeping - reboot - once a fortnight or month.
  3. Make sure all Windows patches are up to date. 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife