Issues with updating [Closed]

Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

Hello. I have 2 PCs in my house, one is mine and one mum's. She caught some kind of adware and while googling advice how to deal with it, my own Kaspersky blocked a dangerous java script. It was weird because it happened on google search page. That script came from domain "fairlotto". To be safe I added it to my router's url keyword blocker. This is where it gets weird. Somehow because of the block on all urls containing "fairlotto" neither my KIS nor Steam can update anymore until I take the word out. Steam can update itself but not any of its games. KIS just has networking failure error message. As soon as I remove the block on word, however, both update without any issue. Why does this site interfere with updates? I can browse the rest of the internet fine with this word being blocked. All online games work fine, youtube and twitch have no issues, any other site loads as usual. I checked my router and network settings, and neither have been tampered with. I also wonder why there was a dangerous java script on google search page?

Hello Qute, Welcome!
  1. May we have name & version & patch #'s of all Kaspersky software installed on your device?
  2. Device operating system, name version, build?
  3. Please don't post the actual url, however, please post a screen print of the google page showing the source of the dangerous java script?
  4. KIS REPORTS, please extract a sample of all "fairlotto". logged entries, please upload the txt file using the upload icon below, not we only need a capture for the 24 hour or 7 day period, and if there are no entries with "fairlotto" then this will not help.
Thanks!

I will try to answer to the best of my ability, I'm not very good with PCs.
  1. Kaspersky Internet Security 19.0.0.1088(f)
  2. Windows 10 Home, Version: 1803, Build: 17134.829
  3. It was just a google search results page, I don't remember the exact search. I haven't clicked on any of the results, just scrolling down. I was told it's very unusual that search results page would have any dangerous java scripts on it.

Hello Qute, Thank you for posting back. You've done great!
  1. Re: "(fairlotto) was added to the routers keyword blocker" - that was done to prevent any intrusion at the router point?
Yes? No?
  1. With "fairlotto" configured in the router KIS does not update?
Yes? No?
  1. Have you done a factory reset of the router?
Yes? No?
  1. Have you reset KIS to default settings?
Yes? No?
  1. Regarding router & KIS resets - if these have NOT been done, please don't do them, just let me know & I'll post back the procedure.
  2. Also, please make sure you have current backups, create a system restore point and a system image please.
  3. And, confirm, please, you did not override the Kaspersky warning, you did not select "click here... etc"?
Thanks!

Hi,
  1. Yes, I was afraid that because it popped up during search results page that it could've infected my PC or router (which is password protected, not default password). So I decided to block any further attempts on router level.
  2. That's right, KIS will not update while the word is blacklisted. It doesn't stay at 0 but downloads extremely slowly and eventually fully stops with error message "Network failure while downloading updates".
  3. I haven't done factory reset on router as it takes awhile to set up from scratch and I currently don't have anybody who could help. :(
  4. No, I haven't reset KIS to default settings but I haven't touched its settings to begin with, only to set it to update at a certain time.
I will look into how to make system restore point and do that. I was afraid of this java script because one day before it happened, mum's PC - which shares my network - got some kind of adware. It would present her with a pop up ad window on safe websites (vk, facebook), with Adblock enabled. Perhaps the same java script is to blame? Although I haven't visited any of the sites she did. I purged all cache, cookies and temp folders and the problem has stopped. Her PC runs different older version of KIS as the PC itself is older. I don't know if this information is of any help though.

Oh, and I haven't attempted to go on that site myself, I'm too scared. :( I was googling if anybody else had adware problems after visiting "kwikeer" site which is where I believe my mum got adware. While scrolling down the results a notification from KIS popped up saying it stopped 2 java scripts firing.

Hello Qute, We can help, we'll just work thru everything methodically. If the router is difficult to setup and assistance is required then let's leave that for the time being, we'll see if we can avoid doing that all together. Just in case it does become necessary, do have available the master password or code it was shipped with, and let me know router brand and model please? Please reboot PC, then generate a GSI & Windows Logs, upload the complete GSI .zip folder to cloud storage of your choice & post back the link please? https://support.kaspersky.com/common/diagnostics/3632#block7 Re your Mum's PC, if you're concerned about that we can also look and see if there's any issues, but let's sort out the situation you've presented first. Thanks!

Oh, and I haven't attempted to go on that site myself, I'm too scared. :( I was googling if anybody else had adware problems after visiting "kwikeer" site which is where I believe my mum got adware. While scrolling down the results a notification from KIS popped up saying it stopped 2 java scripts firing.
Ok, thanks Qute, the extra info is very helpful. And yes, stay away from that site. Kaspersky has correctly blocked, we just need to sort out the other issues. On your Mum's PC, does her Kaspersky software have the extensions and addons active in the browsers she's using? And yours too?

Okay, I created system restore point. My router model is ASUS RT-N10E. I will get back to you with GSI and windows logs shortly. On my PC the only extension I see in Chrome is Kaspersky Protection but it is currently Off, the same goes for the 2nd PC. I do not know what it does and had assumed having KIS was enough.

Hello Qute, the KIS browser extensions are available to provide protection - anti banner & block attempts to collect data. When you & or your Mum are performing google searches do you see the Kaspersky shield againsts sites? Little green, yellow, red, grey shields? Some ref doco: https://help.kaspersky.com/KIS/2019/en-US/130451.htm

I do, although I haven't seen yellow or red ones yet. Her KIS is older than mine, I think it's version 14-something so she doesn't get shields. If we manage to resolve this problem I'll reinstall newer KIS (she has Win 7 and PC is pretty old & slow so I was worried that it might not be compatible). I just didn't pay enough attention to which version she was running, that's my fault.

Hello Qute, Ok, let's work on your Mum's PC when we get the issues with your setup up sorted. Having the shields working can be helpful for your Mum. Not seeing red & yellow shields is a good thing, green is always the colour to look for. It would be good for you to enable your Kaspersky browser extension. Can you confirm for me you don't have Kaspersky Secure Connection/Kaspersky's VPN active/installed on your system please? Thank you for the GSI.

I see Kaspersky Secure Connection in my tray but I never used it and it's currently Off. I don't use any VPN. I don't think I have McAfee installed, it's not in my Apps list. What additional features does Kaspersky extension provide?

I see Kaspersky Secure Connection in my tray but I never used it and it's currently Off. I don't use any VPN. I don't think I have McAfee installed, it's not in my Apps list. What additional features does Kaspersky extension provide?
Hello Qute, Ok for KSC/VPN. McAfee we'll sort out as Kaspersky software is never happy with McAfee. Don't worry about it for the moment, I'll let you know. Thanks!

I reset my router and found out its blacklist wasn't working which is what was causing trouble. Now KIS updates automatically, scans automatically, Steam updates are fine too! Problem has been fixed. Big thanks to FLOOD for helping me out!

• Solution
Hello Qute, We're very happy to help:grinning: We're glad you've reset the router and determined the blacklist feature has not been working for a long time. We're also glad KIS is updating automatically and all KIS components are working normally. And we're glad Steam is updating as it should & all the games are working as you need. Big thanks to you for working methodically thru each step of the process:clap_tone3: Best regards!