Issue with importing from Dashlane to KPM

Go to solution Solved by BlackEdition,

Hi,

I moved from Dashlane to KPM and I really love it, but there’s a slight issue with importing from Dashlane.

I tried to export my entries from Dashlane to csv, then I imported that to KPM, but there were issues with most of the entries having this in the login field “empty_account_name_2021-12-01 11:15:19.237”. How can I get this fixed? The comments are not getting imported either. You can see below:

Im not good at this stuff. What can I do in my csv file to have all the logins and comments imported correctly? Here’s the file structure from Dashlane that I was able to decipher:

"Name","Website URL","Username","Email","Secondary Login","Password","Comment"

KPM Version: 9.0.2.20210 (t) / 1637262200_7078 / 1.0.523.0-0.8.3.0_1

License: Premium (part of my KTS license)

Installation: It was installed from KTS

Thanks

Thank you, but I can’t manually delete every single login. I have over 300 of them and it will take hours to do that. What’s the point of the export/import feature if im going to do stuff manually and waste hours? It already took me about 2 hours just to look up the issue with importing incorrectly and how to solve it and I couldn’t find a thing. It’s like im the first person to migrate from Dashlane to KPM.

My question: Is there a way I can clear all the logins from my account in a fast way? Something like deleting a local file and force it to sync an empty account. I ask because I want to start over and test with import configurations until it works correctly. If I can’t get everything removed by myself, can the technical support clear it for me? A simple yes or no would help me greatly so I can figure out my next step.

Thank you @Berny 

I was finally able to create a new vault and experiment with imports to try and get it to import the correct data. What I discovered after multiple tests is that KPM is deciding to only import the “Username” table from Dashlane, not the “Email” table (why not both of them?).

Is there a way to get this working in my favor or do I need to ditch one of these tables (username/email table) and go fix them later manually?

As a workaround, since I don’t have as much websites that use username logins compared to email logins, I decided to get rid of the table for “Username” and just go with the “Email” table, and then go and manually edit and add the usernames later.

The new issue is now whenever I edit the csv file in Excel 2021 and save the file, KPM refuses to recognize the file and keeps saying Failed to import data

Why does that happen? Editing and saving from Notepad++ and the Windows notepad app doesn’t corrupt/mess with the file, but I can’t modify anything from there because they don’t show the data in tables like Excel does.

Only saving from Excel makes the file unreadable to KPM. I can’t figure out what does Excel change when saving the file? Does it have something to do with the the settings here from Save As > Tools > Web Options? I tried to change the encoding to make it always save in the same default encoding but that still corrupts the file for KPM.

I did find online websites that convert the comma data to tables, but this is sensitive login info that can’t be shared and it would defeat the point of going with an encrypted password manager in the first place, so I would have to do that locally by either get Excel not to corrupt the file for KPM, or use a different app. This is the only thing stopping me now from achieving my goal. Any help is really appreciated.

Ok. I just realized that when I edit the csv file and save it from Excel 2021, it removes all the quotes that were in the file.

Original goes like this:

"Name","Website URL","Username","Email","Secondary Login","Password","Comment"

After saving as a CSV (Comma Delimited) in Excel 2021, it comes out with no quotes:

Name,Website URL,Username,Email,Secondary Login,Password,Comment

Hence why KPM keeps failing to import the data. I don’t know how to solve this. I already wasted at least 5 hours just trying to get KPM to import my credentials and im still nowhere done.

Im sure this issue can be fixed from here somehow?

But I just can’t get it to work the way I want. I even tried to go with Google Sheets but it does the same thing and removes the quotes, rendering the data unreadable for KPM.

This is turning into more pain and annoyance than I was hoping for. Why can’t Kaspersky and Microsoft get this right? Im a computer and a techy guy and im failing at this and having to spend hours to figure it out with no success, imagine what an elderly person or a noob have to go through to get this working for them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

After no helpful answers here or from the technical support, I ended up solving this all by myself. Good for me.

I will list down all that you need to complete your migration from Dashlane to Kaspersky Password Manager, because this will be hell of a process and I will hopefully make it easier for you.

1- Open up your Dashlane desktop app and export your logins from there as a CSV file (I haven’t tested exporting from the browser’s extension or the Dashlane website). Please note that KPM cannot import your comments from Dashlane, and it does not import your other saved such as notes and address and documents etc (as far as I know, but I guess this isn’t a big issue since only logins are the ones that will come with many entries).

2- The default CSV structure exported from Dashlane goes like the following:

"Website Name","Website URL","Login","Email","Secondary Login","Password","Comment"

3- You will now need to perform some manual modifications on your CSV file, because KPM will definitely read the wrong data for you if you import the exported file as is (unless Kaspersky decides to start caring and fully support migrating from Dashlane with just a click of a button without having to go through all of this, because after all it’s in Kaspersky’s best interest to ease the migrating process and capture more customers for its business).

4- DO NOT use Microsoft Excel to perform and modifications on your CSV file. It keeps messing up with everything and it will make your life a living nightmare. Just go with the free OpenOffice and use my following settings when you open the CSV file:

5- You will need to do perform some manual work on your CSV file because there’s just no escaping that, unfortunately. Make sure your CSV structure is configured like the following:

"Website Name","Website URL","Email/Username","","","Password",""

Important notes:

• From my hours and days of testing, you will only be able to import these 4 data (website name, website URL, email/username, and password). Everything else will have to be deleted in order to make the importing process successful.
  • KPM does not work well with websites having both a username and an email, because it only reads one column in the CSV file (either an email or a username for login), and then it puts that data in KPM’s field called “Login”. This is a big issue because even if I login from said website by just using my username and password, I also like to have the email that I registered with saved in my password manager for my records because if you’re like me, you may have more than 1 email for different uses, and it would be an issue if you don’t know which email your account from that website is registered with. In this case you will have to make sure that KPM captures either the username or the email that you will be using to login to that website, and then enter the other one as a comment after finishing the import process so you can keep track of everything. So if you only use the username to login, then copy and paste that into the Email/Username column (and vice versa).
  • Make sure every cell begins and ends with a quote mark “like this” because otherwise KPM cannot read the data.
  • Make sure to delete the contents of those empty cells and fill them with just 2 quote marks “”. You will have to get rid of all the contents in these 3 empty cells and manually enter them later on after finishing up the import process.
  • Go through all your passwords and make sure they start and end with a quote mark. If you notice that OpenOffice captured the wrong data for your password, then it may be because your password had a combination of “ and , which confused the app from reading it. Just ignore that and move on. You will have to manually fix that later after importing.

6- After completing all the modifications on your CSV file, just save the file as CSV.

7- Now go to KPM’s Settings > Import > Import from password managers and choose your file.

8- If everything is correct, you will finish importing all of your logins. If it fails or does not import your entire list, then you had some errors in the file. Just go back to OpenOffice and review all your data and make sure that you are using the same structure that I mentioned in step #3 and that everything starts and ends with a quote mark. You may need to sacrifice some passwords and leave them empty or not fully filled, and then you manually can fix those later after importing.

9- After successfully importing everything, you may need to review your websites and enter the incorrect/missing data (such as fixing the passwords that didn’t get read correctly, or adding your comments etc).

10- If you end up having a lot of duplicate logins due to importing your same data more than once after experimenting with your CSV modifications, you can wipe out your entire entries in KPM and start over by just following these steps to create a fresh new vault.

These steps may change in the future depending on how Dashlane exports their data, and if Kaspersky changes how it reads the exported data from Dashlane.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Why haven’t the mods approved my previous post that I sent more than a week ago? I spent a long time writing a whole and complete steps on migrating from Dashlane to Kaspersky Password Manager with all the necessary steps and secrets on how to import the data, and then the post goes to a “waiting for approval” and you guys decide not to do anything about it? Don’t you want Dashlane users to move to your service? I offered a long and tiresome help for others, don’t let that go to waste.

That’s not what im talking about. I already managed to get everything working by myself with no useful help from here or the technical support that just wasted my time and asked for a trace report, which had nothing to do with what I wanted to achieve. I had to experiment and learn everything from scratch, by myself, to get this working, and I succeeded.

I already submitted a post in this thread about a week ago explaining all the steps for moving from Dashlane to KPM for whoever else in my same situation, but the post went into a “waiting for a mod’s approval” state. Can’t you see a hidden post that needs your approval? Great. All my time writing that post was for nothing.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

If anyone is still facing this issue. I wrote a simple code in javascript to convert the CSV exported from Dashlane to import into KPM.

I had more than 500 passwords to migrate and it would be impossible to manipulate everything manually. so I decided to write this code to make my life easier and that of those who go through it.

Anyone who understands a little programming, just clone the code and convert the file.

https://github.com/grimpa/dashlane2kpm

For me, it worked just fine. Any questions I am available to help. And any problems with the code, just open an issue on Github.

Thanks and good luck to everyone.