Internet Security on Android Wiped my email and contact [Closed]

Go to solution Solved by TSNJ,

After I activated the Anti-Theft portion of Internet Security on my Samsung S7, I had to authorize it to have admin control. Then it wiped my email account from my phone and all of my contacts. I thought that was a feature I could activate remotely IF my phone was lost or stolen. So, what happened? How do I use this feature without having to reset my phone? Thanks for the input.

Hello TSNJ, Welcome! Can you please tell us KISA version?
  1. When the "wipe" function is activated KISA wipes everything, returns device to how it was when it was shipped from the manufacturer, it does not select individual applications/data.
KISA "DATA WIPE", is a feature that can be activated remotely IF a phone is lost or stolen. KISA "DATA WIPE", is accessed/activated via the MyKaspersky online account.
  1. With your email/contacts, you had no backup to cloud service?
  2. May I ask what mail & contacts app/s you use please?
Please let us know? Thanks --------------- Please read:
  1. https://help.kaspersky.com/KISA/MR23/en-US/178865.htm - info re S7
  2. https://help.kaspersky.com/KISA/MR23/en-US/71836.htm

Thank you. I don't know the KISA version. I downloaded it today, signed in with my Kaspersky ID, updated it, then started setting it up. I have two email accounts on my phone: one is Mindspring, which was unaffected, the other is a business account linked to MS Exchange, which is the account used for the Kaspersky ID. I think the issue is that MS Exchange requires its program to have admin control of the phone for email and contacts (I saw this when I was setting up my email again. The email, contacts, and calendar synced again.) Luckily, I had my phone email set to defer to the server if there are issues. Or maybe that didn't matter. Since the whole email account was removed from my phone, the individual emails and contacts were still on the Exchange server. I don't think I had any issues until I was setting up the Anti-Theft portion, and it said it needed admin control so that I could remotely lock the phone, change the password, wipe the phone, etc. Having remote control seemed like a good thing to me. I can try setting this up again, but I'm hesitant to really use the features.

Hello TSNJ, Thanks for replying. Can I suggest, before you activate the KISA Anti-Theft features, you install backup software from Google Play store, I've pm'd you the link. It backups EVERYTHING (you choose) to cloud, is free, easily configurable, has a few tiny ads, is lightweight - doesn't chew up massivse system resources. That way, you have the best of both worlds, KISA & total data backup, if the worst should happen and your phone is stolen you can comfortably use all of KISA's features AND know you have everything backed up & retrievable. When I installed KISA, I tested the Anti-theft: by selecting:
  1. Lock the device and get its location.
  2. Turn on a loud alarm on the device.
  3. Take a mugshot of the person currently using the device.
Those 3 functions worked perfectly, I chose NOT to test the "Data Wipe", simply bc, I do not wish to restore my phone and I'm confident the "Data Wipe" feature will work as it should, given the other 3 AT features work perfectly. Also, if you use additional storage in your Android, don't forget to secure it as well.& setup the Sim Card lock. Post back if you need any help? Best regards!

• Solution
I might have this figured out, maybe. MS Exchange requires it to have admin control over email and contacts to set up the email acct on the phone, with the associated contacts, calendar, and tasks. AT wants the same thing. So when I give admin control to AT, it's taken away from MS, which then means that the MS account won't be valid on the phone, and is then taken off. The MS account is still in place on the server, it just lost it's place on the phone device. I think it's true what you said, that KISA didn't eat my email account. If this is the case, it'd be nice if KISA AT was able to share the admin control with MS, and vice versa.

MS Exchange requires it to have admin control over email and contacts to set up the email acct on the phone, with the associated contacts, calendar, and tasks. AT wants the same thing. So when I give admin control to AT, it's taken away from MS, which then means that the MS account won't be valid on the phone, and is then taken off. The MS account is still in place on the server, it just lost it's place on the phone device. I think it's true what you said, that KISA didn't eat my email account. If this is the case, it'd be nice if KISA AT was able to share the admin control with MS, and vice versa.
Hello TSNJ, I don't use MSExchange. So I replicate your situation & verify, is your MSExchange setup with:
  1. IMAP, POP, POP3 or something else?
  2. Incomng server =?
  3. Outgoing server = ?
  4. Any other config settings?
(I'll mirror exactly what you advise) Please let me know? Thanks!