Intermittent Black Monitor Screen

Screen monitor started going black. Kept shutting desktop down and restarting.  Screen would be fine but as soon as I attempted to do anything the screen would go black. Could see that Kaspersky Internet Security and separate VPN had been messed with. Figured maybe Microsoft. It seems like it's always updating and trying to disconnect them. 

Nuked everything back to factory settings and it's still happening. Can't operate new Windows 10 install. Can't get through the protocols with the new operating system without screen going black.

Is this a security issue or something else? 

Thank you.

NO! Absolutely do not suspect they are the cause of the issue. Don't blame Russians for everything under the sun. I know better. 

Looking for some insight from the computer savy, like the people here. Can't make an educated guess on this myself as to what is going on or how to resolve it is all.

Thanks.

Hello @Fenn

Thank you for posting back!

1. Look in Windows Event Viewer, in the Windows Search field type in Event, it will bring up the Event Viewer app, look at Categories: Critical, Error, System - you may need Microsoft Support to assist. 
  2. Look in KIS Reports, if there's any events that show the Kaspersky software is involved, it will be necessary to reach out to Kaspersky Support as they may need logs, traces & other data, so they can analyse the issue; also, the data cannot be submitted to the Community, it's a privacy protection that applies to all Community members. 

When it's available, please share the outcome with the Community?

Thank you?

Flood?+?

• Like 1

Have tried Safe Mode. Beasty showed up in the middle of "Advanced Options". My subscription doesn't cover KIS Reports so didn't look there. Went ahead and filed reports with both Kaspersky and Microsoft Support though. 

Will let you know what if anything I find out. Appreciate the help.

• Like 1

Hello @Fenn

Thank you for posting back & the information!

1. All Kaspersky home AV software home comes with Reports. 
  2. Which KIS version is installed, on the Windows taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select About? 

?IF it's v21.3or earlier, open the KIS app, select More tools, select Reports, from there access 17 different KIS Reports... 

Thank you?

Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
  • Like 1

Awesome Flood and Flood's Wife! Thought KIS was cloud only. Will try.

Currently I can't get to safe-mode on it. Black Screen steps in before I can complete the process. (As with Microsoft start up protocol.)

I might agree with you Igor if my Kaspersky and VPN icons hadn't been "messed with" as I first mentioned. Both were gone and just a useless file looking thingy were left in their place. Does that still strike you as a hardware issue?

Thank you both.

@Fenn

17 hours ago, Fenn said:

Does that still strike you as a hardware issue?

Yes, because the issue persists after resetting everything and installing Windows from scratch.

When you mention 'screen goes black' what exactly happens? The PC restarts without showing any errors? The screen is black because there is no signal from video card and the display turns off, or it is black because Windows shows black screen? 

What is the incident number to Kaspersky technical support? 

• Like 3

No Flood and Flood's Wife, it's still helpful to learn about those reports in the long run so I'm glad that happened, thank you. Spent some time reviewing the ones for this laptop. Have had no response from Microsoft. Probably need to follow up.

Yes Igor, the screen goes black when I'm in the middle of a task so I can't see to complete it. Can't help feeling like I'm being trolled. So yes, the computer starts out fine. I then only see a black screen. Can't tell you why. Monitor on/off button is still on as is internet light.

• Thanks 1

Hello @Fenn

Thank you for posting back & the information!

1. If you haven't already, please proceed with logging a case with Kaspersky Support, so there's a incident reference #, also, Support may need logs, traces & other data, they will step you thru how the data is collected & submitted. On the support page select either Chat or Email, then select Application malfunction, Application fails to start template. 
  2. Please let @Igor Kurzin know the incident reference #, when it's available? 

Thank you?

Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
  • Like 1

Per Kaspersky Support was going to give the Rescue Disk a whirl. Tried to copy it to CD then went to run it. (Not Kaspersky's fault.)

Anyways figured I would give the computer another try while it was turned on and darned if didn't get through all the initial protocol for the new operating system! 

Not trusting my good fortune I immediately put in Kaspersky in the search bar to download internet security so I'd be prepared. Guess what happened next? You bet! Screen goes to black. :classic_rolleyes:

Will copy Rescue Disk to thumb drive and try again.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Fenn said:

Tried to copy it to CD then went to run it. (Not Kaspersky's fault.)

Should have been a "Didn't work." in between those 2 sentences. Sorry for the confusion.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Igor for getting somebody @ support to address this issue. I appreciate it.

Still hearing it's a hardware issue which after seeing another super creepy incident done on the computer the day after this business started happening, I'm still not believing it is.

However if it is indeed that, I believe my $ would be better spent getting rid of Microsoft at this point then in diagnosing or repairing current system. (Actually even if repaired free at this point...I want it/them gone. :classic_wink:)

My thanks to all who tried to help.

Edited by Fenn

• 1 year later...