Initial Impressions of MR5. Few things...

Switched over one of my devices today to the Kaspersky Standard (MR5) with patch A, using the installer from the Australian site. Installed over the top of the latest 21.3 (g) release and Windows 11

Couple of things.

Installation

This seemed to take quite a while to complete. Not sure why? I think there was three steps (Security/Performance and then something else?) It was the security step that seemed to take a while.

GUI

Not a fan of the email address being shown on the left hand side of the application. I'd rather this was just 'My Account' or 'My Kaspersky' or at least allow this to be hidden? 

Data Password Leaker

Can this be disabled? Can see this causing a few issues or creating confusion.

Edit: Apparently the Help section says this can be toggled on/off in the Data Leak Checker section. That option isn't there for me?

PC Speedup.

Seems like this can't be disabled either? Ideally don't want family members deleting or cleaning registry entries on a machine.

Other than that it seems like a step forward. Haven't done too much digging, just these things immediately popped up as potential issues

Hello @Jbennett360

Welcome back! 

Thanks for being the first brave 🐨MR5 poster👍

1. Re:  the long installation time, this one may have big variations, ours are always very slow, maybe something others will report on & something to watch….
  2. Re:  the “exposed” email address on the GUI, we raised this with support, they’ve advised it cannot be “hidden”, we’ve requested it be escalated to Russia, (ioo) it’s a privacy issue & needs to be addressed, there should be an option to hide personal information, there’s no need for it to be plastered all over the GUI

3. Re Data Password Leakermay we have an image please? →  it may be the toggle options are only available in Kaspersky Plus, as it says in the documentation: 
    Data Leak Checker on Kaspersky Basic and Kaspersky Standard plans lets you manually check only the My Kaspersky account. Automatic checks of My Kaspersky account and other accounts are available only in Kaspersky Plus package.”

4. Re PC Speed-Up, is available in the Standard plan → Comparison of subscription plans, so (we’d) expect the toggle option to be available, again, an image would be great please? 

Either wait for @Danila T. to advise or log a case with Kaspersky consumer support, either via Chat or Email, fill in Application malfunction, Other template. Support may request logs, traces & other data, they will guide you. Also, it may help them if you provide a images & or a video of the issue. 

• If selecting Chat option, we recommend you request a copy of the chat transcript, make sure you fill in your email address AFTER the chat is activated by the Chat agent & complete the Verify your email address email AFTER the chat completes.
  • When it’s available, please share the outcome with the Community? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello @Jbennett360

Welcome back! 

Thanks for being the first brave 🐨MR5 poster👍

1. Re:  the long installation time, this one may have big variations, ours are always very slow, maybe something others will report on & something to watch….
  2. Re:  the “exposed” email address on the GUI, we raised this with support, they’ve advised it cannot be “hidden”, we’ve requested it be escalated to Russia, (ioo) it’s a privacy issue & needs to be addressed, there should be an option to hide personal information, there’s no need for it to be plastered all over the GUI

3. Re Data Password Leakermay we have an image please? →  it may be the toggle options are only available in Kaspersky Plus, as it says in the documentation: 
    Data Leak Checker on Kaspersky Basic and Kaspersky Standard plans lets you manually check only the My Kaspersky account. Automatic checks of My Kaspersky account and other accounts are available only in Kaspersky Plus package.”

4. Re PC Speed-Up, is available in the Standard plan → Comparison of subscription plans, so (we’d) expect the toggle option to be available, again, an image would be great please? 

Either wait for @Danila T. to advise or log a case with Kaspersky consumer support, either via Chat or Email, fill in Application malfunction, Other template. Support may request logs, traces & other data, they will guide you. Also, it may help them if you provide a images & or a video of the issue. 

• If selecting Chat option, we recommend you request a copy of the chat transcript, make sure you fill in your email address AFTER the chat is activated by the Chat agent & complete the Verify your email address email AFTER the chat completes.
  • When it’s available, please share the outcome with the Community? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Will sort these bits tomorrow. Thanks for the response!

Hello @Jbennett360

Features that are able to be disabled and enabled are those with a gear⚙ icon, for example App Updater

Data Password LeakerPC Speed-Up are enabled by “design” → cannot be switched off😠 , we’ve logged this with support as well as the exposed email address & requested it be sent to Russia HQ experts/developers → we’re actually very surprised Kaspersky has released MR5 without a Data Password Leaker OFF switch, this issue has been outstanding for a very long time. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

I guess the short term solution is to just sign out of the application

Hello @Jbennett360

Thank you for posting back! 

Yes, that’s definitely a solution, but may not be necessary,  we’ve re-checked the advice from technical support, the original advice is incorrect, the Technical Support Supervisor advised, MR5 Basic / Standard & Plus, Data Leak Checker can be toggled OFF

1. Please check & confirm that’s the case with your installed MR5 Standard software? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

I guess the short term solution is to just sign out of the application

Hello @Jbennett360

Thank you for posting back! 

Yes, that’s definitely a solution, but may not be necessary,  we’ve re-checked the advice from technical support, the original advice is incorrect, the Technical Support Supervisor advised, MR5 Basic / Standard & Plus, Data Leak Checker can be toggled OFF

1. Please check & confirm that’s the case with your installed MR5 Standard software? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Not there for me on Standard. 21.5.11.384(a)

Maybe I need to look at doing a clean install, rather than an install over the top of 21.3?

Or, I just go back to 21.3 and wait for the Official UK release of 21.6, when hopefully all these things will be ironed out and available?

Edit: Looking at the documentation you provided it kind of makes it out like you can’t disable it.

Data Leak Checker on Kaspersky Basic and Kaspersky Standard plans lets you manually check only the My Kaspersky account. Automatic checks of My Kaspersky account and other accounts are available only in Kaspersky Plus package.

Hello @Jbennett360

Thank you for posting back, the screen image & the information. 

• Agreed, that’s what we thought when we read the documentation; however, the Supervisor assures us MR5 Basic / Standard & Plus, Data Leak Checker can be toggled OFF. 
  • We always do a clean install with new versions.
  • IF you don’t mind waiting 24 hrs, we’ll install the standard version tomorrow morning & check, it’s nearly midnight here, so can’t get it done till then, would that be ok? 
  • Also, we’ve just sent the issue to HQ, for a conclusive answer, shouldn’t  be this hard😞

Thank you🙏, 

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello @Jbennett360

Thank you for posting back, the screen image & the information. 

• Agreed, that’s what we thought when we read the documentation; however, the Supervisor assures us MR5 Basic / Standard & Plus, Data Leak Checker can be toggled OFF. 
  • We always do a clean install with new versions.
  • IF you don’t mind waiting 24 hrs, we’ll install the standard version tomorrow morning & check, it’s nearly midnight here, so can’t get it done till then, would that be ok? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

That’s fine.

Majority of people won’t do a clean install, which is why i did it the way I did. I normally do a clean install, but wanted to see how this way went, purely for user ease.

In the mean time I'm going back to 21.3 and will stay on that for the foreseeable. 

Let me know how you get on with the testing!

Majority of people won’t do a clean install, which is why i did it the way I did. I normally do a clean install, but wanted to see how this way went, purely for user ease.

Hello @Jbennett360

Thank you for posting back. 

• Definitely will!

We prefer a clean install, we generally clean up the systems at the same time, it’s a fresh start. 

Thank you🙏, 

Flood🐳+🐋

FYI,  I did a clean fresh install on a W11 laptop I have and it was 21.5.11.384(a) downloaded from https://www.kaspersky.co.uk/free-cloud-antivirus

I also did an inplace upgrade on another W10 computer from the older 21.3.xxxxxxxxx and it too was 21.5.11.384(a) from the same source.

Teh installer was for the Free version and was kaspersky4win202121.5.11.384aen_33704.exe and the details of the EXE were :

FYI,  I did a clean fresh install on a W11 laptop I have and it was 21.5.11.384(a) downloaded from https://www.kaspersky.co.uk/free-cloud-antivirus

I also did an inplace upgrade on another W10 computer from the older 21.3.xxxxxxxxx and it too was 21.5.11.384(a) from the same source.

Teh installer was for the Free version and was kaspersky4win202121.5.11.384aen_33704.exe and the details of the EXE were :

Not sure what that has to do with this thread?

Hello @Jbennett360

Agreed, the install does take a long time, it would be good to know if Kaspersky has some benchmarks for this part of the process. 

1. Our test, is the same as yours, there is no toggle OFF switch, &, reply from the only people any of us should trust: Russia HQ/aka experts: 
    “Data Leak Checker: for Kaspersky Basic and Kaspersky Standard there is no option to switch the automatics check off and it only let’s you check the connected My.Kaspersky leaks.”

2. Your solution, signing out of MyK, is definitely the way to go, otherwise 
    “Kaspersky periodically checks the email address linked to your My Kaspersky account against the database provided by www.haveibeenpwned.com. The first such check is performed 48 hours after installation of Kaspersky. Further checks are made every 24 hours.”
  3. You mentioned rolling backing to 21.3, waiting for 21.6, the 3 issues you’ve identified may not be fixed quite that quickly - if they get fixed at all, that’s one thing; the other & you may already be aware of this, the Standard subscription begins on the date of purchase, it remains in use, irrespective of whether or not the software is installed. 
  4. Other things, that we think stink about the ‘new’ product range, are the fact it’s subscription *only* & there’s no option on the purchase page to *uncheck* renewal, both big red marks against MR5 (ioo). Going thru the laborious ‘cancel renewal’ process that K has documented is not necessary & not consumer focused.  

Thank you🙏, 

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello @Jbennett360

Agreed, the install does take a long time, it would be good to know if Kaspersky has some benchmarks for this part of the process. 

1. Our test, is the same as yours, there is no toggle OFF switch, &, reply from the only people any of us should trust: Russia HQ/aka experts: 
    “Data Leak Checker: for Kaspersky Basic and Kaspersky Standard there is no option to switch the automatics check off and it only let’s you check the connected My.Kaspersky leaks.”

2. Your solution, signing out of MyK, is definitely the way to go, otherwise 
    “Kaspersky periodically checks the email address linked to your My Kaspersky account against the database provided by www.haveibeenpwned.com. The first such check is performed 48 hours after installation of Kaspersky. Further checks are made every 24 hours.”
  3. You mentioned rolling backing to 21.3, waiting for 21.6, the 3 issues you’ve identified may not be fixed quite that quickly - if they get fixed at all, that’s one thing; the other & you may already be aware of this, the Standard subscription begins on the date of purchase, it remains in use, irrespective of whether or not the software is installed. 
  4. Other things, that we think stink about the ‘new’ product range, are the fact it’s subscription *only* & there’s no option on the purchase page to *uncheck* renewal, both big red marks against MR5 (ioo). Going thru the laborious ‘cancel renewal’ process that K has documented is not necessary & not consumer focused.  

Thank you🙏, 

Flood🐳+🐋

Thanks for checking.

These products feels half done and rushed. I've never known Kaspersky products have 'issues' like this before. It's weird.

In terms of 21.5, I was using a 21.3 license, so rollback is fine.

Also in terms of the auto renewal, agreed, that's not great, however, I always purchase keys from Amazon as they're slot cheaper than buying direct.

Not sure what that has to do with this thread?

My mistake.  I mis-read the posts above and thought I was adding some information.  Apologies :-)

I hope this new version of Kaspersky Standard also has the installer (setup.exe) available for those who can only buy from a retail store, otherwise I can't continue with Kaspersky after ten years in a row.

Hello @JPEKaspersky

Welcome back!

Do not worry☺ !

If you purchased a box or an activation card.

Thank you🙏, 

Flood🐳+🐋

I hope this new version of Kaspersky Standard also has the installer (setup.exe) available for those who can only buy from a retail store, otherwise I can't continue with Kaspersky after ten years in a row.

Hello @JPEKaspersky

Welcome back!

Do not worry☺ !

If you purchased a box or an activation card.

Thank you🙏, 

Flood🐳+🐋

Thanks @Flood and Flood's wife  for your clarification and explanation link provided.

I will wait until my country is covered.

You are always so cordial.

• 2 weeks later...