In Continuation to a Closed Thread with no Resolution

Garb

Hello,

I have the same problem as that discussed in the following thread:

However, the thread has been closed in 2021 without providing a final resolution.

Can you please fill me in on the way to fix this issue?

Thank you very much.

Hello @Garb

Welcome!

1. Read before you create a new topic! - please provide 1. to 4. as listed in Danila T.'s guide? 
  2. Is (your) software, Kaspersky Security Cloud a subscription (Personal or Premium) OR Free?  
  3. It's impossible to "fill you in on the way to fix the issue" without knowing the above please. 

Please post back? 
Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife

Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    22H2
Installed on    ‎19/‎08/‎2021
OS build    19045.2604
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Kaspersky Security Cloud - Free

Application Version: 21.3.10.391 (j)

3. & 4. Exactly what the OP described.

Thank you

6 hours ago, Garb said:

Windows 10 Pro, 22H2, 19045.2604, WEP: 120.2212.4190.0 || Kaspersky Security Cloud - Free 21.3.10.391 (j)

3. & 4. Exactly what the OP described.

Hello @Garb

You're most welcome!

Thank you for posting back & the information!

1. Which Region are you in please? 
  2. Please go to Kaspersky Reports, find the error, post a full screen screen-print - ensuring as much detail is shown as possible? 
  3. Go to the app with the certificate issue & select DETAILS - show the extended certificate details - post a full screen screen-print - ensuring as much detail is shown as possible? 
  4. Has this been added: fp.measure.office.com to Encrypted connection scanning - Trusted addresses*.fp.measure.office.com to Web Anti-Virus Trusted URLs

Please post back? 
Thank you?
Flood?+?

Thank you.

Region: Middle East

Kaspersky Reports Screenshot of Error (with Microsoft OneNote):

image.thumb.png.468d195d65cee02edd65e232d3e1d71e.png

As for Step #3 - I don't understand where to select DETAILS?
Should it be in the problematic application (OneNote) or somewhere in Kaspersky Security Cloud?
If it is the latter, can you tell me where I should be looking? (I can't seem to find an explanation online)

Step #4 - I just added the domain to Web Anti-Virus Trusted URLs. But I cannot find how to add it to Encrypted connection scanning Trusted addresses.
I looked through:
https://support.kaspersky.com/Cloud/1.0/en-US/137999.htm
But I don't seem to have these options.

Thank you for your help.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Garb said:
  1. Region: Middle East
  2. Kaspersky Reports Screenshot of Error (with Microsoft OneNote): 
  3. OneNote, DETAILS. 
  4. I looked thru: Kaspersky Endpoint Security Cloud, Configuring the Encrypted Connections Scan feature; But I don't seem to have these options.

Hello @Garb

You're most welcome!

Thank you for the information!

There's potentially a couple of ways to manage this issue; let's check a few things first before we try to fix anything... 

1. Check ME site, is Kaspersky FREE 21.9 {Kaspersky's *new* software release} available? 
  2. Where is (your) OneNote (Office) sourced from? 
  3. KSC Reports, go to that error you've screen-printed, in the top righthand corner of the Report window, select SAVE, save the Report as a text file, upload the text file to any cloud service of your choice & post the share link please? 
  4. When the Invalid name of certificate error happens, is it *only* when One Note is opened / accessed? 
  5. Kaspersky Endpoint Security Cloud is a different product from Kaspersky's commercial/business range, not Kaspersky Security Cloud - for home users, those instructions will not help. 
  6. Go to: Network settings, Encrypted connections scan, When encrypted connections scan errors occur - is it accessible, can it be changed to Do not scan encrypted connections <- note, this is a test only. 
  7. OR are you able to select & add the domain to exclusions? 
  8. Scroll further, are you able to add OneNote as a Trusted app? 

Please post back the information & do not make any other changes, there's more work to do. 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife

Hi,

1. Couldn't find version 21.9 of Kaspersky FREE in the middle-eastern site.

2. I don't understand the question. What does "sourced from" mean?

3. Done. I don't think a cloud service is necessary. This is all there is in the file:

Today, 03/03/2023 11:04:44    Task started        avp.exe    C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Security Cloud 21.3\avp.exe    C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Security Cloud 21.3        SLOTH\Aviv    Active user                                            
01/03/2023 15:48:46    SSL connection with invalid certificate detected    Microsoft OneNote    ONENOTE.EXE    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\ONENOTE.EXE    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16    16412        Not defined    Blocked    Blocked                    16b85855411c4ba5be3e7162fc859fcd.fp.measure.office.com    16b85855411c4ba5be3e7162fc859fcd.fp.measure.office.com            Invalid name of certificate. Either the name is not on the allowed list, or was explicitly excluded.

4. I always have OneNote open on my PC. So I guess the answer might be "only when it's opened".

5. OK.

6. I didn't quite understand this step. I have the option, in "Encrypted connection scanning" to "Do not scan encrypted connections". But when I select it I get a warning saying "This will reduce protection". Should I select it anyway?

7. I can see a list of excluded domains by clicking the link "websites" but I don't see how I can add a domain here. See screenshot:

image.thumb.png.6f8978c58c39fbf4773d930e2a152697.png

8. Yes I can. But what should I select in the "Exclusions for application"? "Do not scan encrypted traffic"? ("Only for specified IP addresses"? "Only for specified ports"?)

Thank you very much for your help.

Hello 

On 3/3/2023 at 8:24 PM, Garb said:

2. I don't understand the question. What does "sourced from" mean?

3.  Invalid name of certificate. Either the name is not on the allowed list or was explicitly excluded.

4. I always have OneNote open on my PC. So I guess the answer might be "only when it's opened".

6. I didn't quite understand this step. I have the option, in "Encrypted connection scanning" to "Do not scan encrypted connections". But when I select it I get a warning saying "This will reduce protection". Should I select it anyway?

7. I can see a list of excluded domains by clicking the link "websites" but I don't see how I can add a domain here.

8. Yes I can. But what should I select in the "Exclusions for application"? "Do not scan encrypted traffic"? ("Only for specified IP addresses"? "Only for specified ports"?)

Hello @Garb

Thank you for posting back & the extra questions. 

Please do the following:

1. Create a System Restore point, refer: How to create a restore point in Windows

2. Run the computer in Safe mode, refer: How to start your PC in Safe Mode

3 Go to: 

(a) C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp  ||| delete the contents of the Temp folder   { USER = YOUR name }

(b) C:\Windows\Temp ||| delete the contents of the Temp folder 

4.  Return the computer to the normal mode. 

5.  Create a *new* Windows user profile with Administrative privileges. 

6. Sign out of all applications.

7. Sign out of the existing Windows user profile. 

8. Shutdown the computer, using Shutdown, not Restart, power on by pressing the power button, at the Login screen, login with the *new* Windows user profile, open the Microsoft OneNote app & check if the certificate error persists? 

Please share the outcome? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Thank you for the guidance.
I performed the above steps exactly as described.

I had one problem deleteting one file that was in use from my user's Temp folder.

The file is FXSAPIDebugLogFile.txt and its size is 0KB. It was in use even after a second Safe Mode restart so I just skipped it.

Other than that, I did everything you suggested.

I am now logged in as the new admin.

OneNote is running.

I will update you if I get another certificate error or not.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again,

I ran the computer for several days as the new admin, with OneNote open.

Yet I did not get any certificate errors.

When I came back to my original admin user and ran ONeNote,

within a few hours I got the certificate error again.

So, what do we do from here?

Thanks