If I lost master key, is it over?

Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

Hey there,

I used to be the type of person who uses the date of birth as a password on all of my accounts, one day I was a victim of gmail fishing leading to a devastating loss, where I lost access not only to my gmail account, but to all of my gaming and working accounts, all the confidential data on my professional email address were leaked and that was a mess.

Since then I started using an antivirus (Kaspersky) and a password managed, since the total version includes a KPM, I purchased it.

Now after a while of using my average to low security master key, I realized it might be important to upgrade it into something more secure, but sadly, it is very hard to remember a complex master key.

With that being said, if I were to lose access to my master key, is it over for all of my accounts & passwords ? Isn't there a solution B to reset it or maybe recover it? Are there any solutions you can suggest to me in order to set a complex master key and one I would not forget? Wouldn"t it be past if I were to store on my pc so I can simply copy past?

Finally, why is there an Opera Gx extension of KPM ?

Thanks for reading!

• Solution
15 minutes ago, AshenOne said:
  1. if I were to lose access to my master key, is it over for all of my accounts & passwords?
  2. Isn't there a solution B to reset it or maybe recover it?
  3. Are there any solutions you can suggest to me in order to set a complex master key and one I would not forget?
  4. Wouldn't it be past if I were to store on my pc so I can simply copy past?
  5. Finally, why is there an Opera Gx extension of KPM?

Hello @AshenOne

Welcome back!

1. Yes. Kaspersky does not know the Main password; if you lose it or forget, no-one at Kaspersky can help you - this is what the documentation says: If you forget your main password, you will no longer be able to access your data. In this case, you will have to create a new vault and protect it with a new main password. Then you will be able to add new data to the vault; read: What to do if you have forgotten the main password
  2. IF the Main password is forgotten, create a copy of the vault & create a new vault *but* you'll only be able to restore the original data to the new vault if you remember the original password, read:  Forgot your main password?
  3. Kaspersky says: A password is considered strong if it contains at least eight characters, including uppercase and lowercase Latin letters, digits, and special characters. Think of 3 things that you've never forgotten in your life, write them down, look at them carefully & work out why you remember them - compress & convert those into one master password. 
  4. Who has access to the PC, is the PC *ever* unlocked when you are not there, how much risk are you prepared to take? Windows Hello is available to unlock KPM, read: Unlock the vault with Windows Hello
  5. There isn't. 

Thank you? 
Flood?+?

26 minutes ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @AshenOne

Welcome back!

1. Yes. Kaspersky does not know the Main password; if you lose it or forget, no-one at Kaspersky can help you - this is what the documentation says: If you forget your main password, you will no longer be able to access your data. In this case, you will have to create a new vault and protect it with a new main password. Then you will be able to add new data to the vault; read: What to do if you have forgotten the main password
  2. IF the Main password is forgotten, create a copy of the vault & create a new vault *but* you'll only be able to restore the original data to the new vault if you remember the original password, read:  Forgot your main password?
  3. Kaspersky says: A password is considered strong if it contains at least eight characters, including uppercase and lowercase Latin letters, digits, and special characters. Think of 3 things that you've never forgotten in your life, write them down, look at them carefully & work out why you remember them - compress & convert those into one master password. 
  4. Who has access to the PC, is the PC *ever* unlocked when you are not there, how much risk are you prepared to take? Windows Hello is available to unlock KPM, read: Unlock the vault with Windows Hello
  5. There isn't. 

Thank you? 
Flood?+?

Thank you so much, such a lovely reply!

1. Well, I believe I missunderstood what they said, thank you for clarifying it for me

2. Meaning I can recover my passwords by creating a new vault and use my main kaspersky account's password to recover them? I wouldn't need the master key?

3. I will defintly tru this out

4. I am the only user of this PC, no one can access it unless it gets compromised by a hacker. physically speakings, nobody can access it besides me (I live alone)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AshenOne said:
  • A. Meaning I can recover my passwords by creating a new vault and use my main Kaspersky account's password to recover them? I wouldn't need the master key?

Hello @AshenOne

You're most welcome?!

• ?A. No. IF you lose or forget the main password you will not be able to access the existing KPM vault application & you will not be able to access KPM via (your) MyKaspersky account -> you will be able to sign into (your) MyKaspersky account - as long as the MyKaspersky password is different to the KPM Main password, but, once signed into MyK, you will not be able to sign into the web KPM - without the main password. 
  • As a 'golden rule' create a copy of the KPM vault every month - call that housekeeping. 
  • IF the KPM Vault password is lost or forgotten, do the following:
  1. Create a copy of the existing KPM Vault. 
  2. Create a new KPM Vault - this step deletes the original KPM vault, read the documentation (we provided above) carefully!
  3. When you remember the original KPM Vault password restore the data to the new KPM Vault. 
  • Re the PC security, even tho you live alone, it never hurts to implement as much physical security as possible for valuable assets, for example, a physical Security key, that's inserted to unlock the PC & Face authentication, if that's available on the PC. 
  • One other small tip, the Export to text file feature (different to the KPM Vault backup) - creates a copy of the KPM data that you can print, it's an unprotected file - you must ensure the safety & security of such data. 

Thank you? 
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
clarified A
  • Thanks 1