I get a message saying that neither Windows nor Kasperky Firewall or Security is turned on. Am I protected? [Closed]

Dinsdale1
Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

See attached document for screenshots of all of the following.

For the last week every time I turn on my PC I get a message saying that neither Windows nor Kasperky Firewall or Security is turned on.

However, when I go to ‘Security at a Glance’ it tells me that I am protected and that no action is required. When I go further to ‘Firewall and Network Protection’ it again says that both are turned on.

When I then click on ‘Who is Protecting Me’ it initially said that Windows Defender Protection and Firewall were on but that Kaspersky was not. However when looking at the Kaspersky App it showed that both were actually turned on. I tried turning the Windows Firewall off as I thought it might be conflicting so on the screenshot of the ‘Who is Protecting Me’ it now shows that neither firewall is turned on. I can toggle both off and on in the two apps - Kaspersky and Windows Defender - but the ‘Who is Protecting Me’ screen continues to show both as ‘off’ whilst the summary screen continues to say that the firewall is on and that no action is required. Nothing happens when I try to turn off Windows Defender.

So, everything seems to show that I am protected but it isn’t clear by whom, but despite this my computer keeps warning me that I am not protected.

Also, if I am protected it seems from the summary screens that the protection is actually being provided by Windows Defender, so if this is protecting me and stopping me from fully initiating Kaspersky then I could be paying Kaspersky for nothing.

Any ideas?

• Solution

Hello @Dinsdale1,

Welcome!

Please tell us:

1. Operating system, version & build
  2. KIS version and patch
  3. In image 1, what is the “extended detail” of each ?
  1. For clarification, (image 2), when you toggle Windows Defender Firewall switch OFF it automatically returns to on? Is that correct? 

2. When the problem began a week ago, had Windows updated to a major version? 
  3. Have all Windows updates been applied with a successful status? 
  4. Have you checked the system for hardware & software compliance? 
  5. Please read: How to disable or remove Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender)
  6. If you’re still unable to change the status of WD/FW, run Windows in SafeMode with Networking, start cmd.exe as Administrator, type in msconfig   in the Services Tab, uncheck Windows Defender, select Apply, select OK
  7. In the Startup Tab, disable Windows Defender (no image), select Apply, and OK. 
  8. Windows Defender Properties, change Startup Type to Disabled

9. Reboot

Thank you

Well thanks, this may well have solved it.

I followed the link on how to disable Windows Defender. I think something has changed as the pathway didn’t take me to the windows that were illustrated, however, after poking around I found a similar screen where I was able to disable Windows Firewall (screenshot 1 on the attached). However, at this point my computer was still telling me that both firewalls were turned off even though Kaspersky’s was showing as ‘on’. I then restarted and initially got two messages telling me to turn on Kaspersky Firewall, then another telling me to turn on Kaspersky Network protection. Both of these then seemed to turn on automatically before I had a chance to do anything.

For now it seems that the issue is solved. It appears that something has recently turned on the Windows security because I am fairly certain that I turned this off when I installed KIS on my new computer about 2 months ago. It is now more difficult to find the Windows settings (as mentioned above) which is why I was initially unable to disable it, causing an apparent conflict.

I will answer your other questions in case this helps you understand the issue should anyone else have the problem.

On the next screenshot I have expanded the ‘down’ arrows to show you that each of these simply had a ‘turn on’ or ‘turn off’ button (as appropriate) and an ‘open app’ button. It was when I clicked these buttons earlier that nothing appeared to happen.

When I toggled that Windows firewall button earlier it did not automatically toggle back on again. Initially that previous screen showed Windows Defender Network Security and Firewall as both being ‘on’ and both KIS apps as ‘off’ (even though KIS app itself showed both as ‘on’). When I toggled Windows Firewall ‘off’, it changed to off on that summary screen but it then stayed as ‘off’ on that screen even when I toggled it back on again.

I don’t know if any Windows updates were considered major but they have all successfully installed (see attached).

I have now checked hardware and software compliance and as far as I can tell this is all compliant. My computer is very new (about 2 months old) and I have not installed any new hardware or software since original set up and this issue has only just occurred.

Thanks - as I say I will monitor this but I am hoping that this was a simple conflict introduced by a Windows update that I have now resolved.

Hello  @Dinsdale1,

You’re very welcome, I’m delighted the issues are resolved🤸

Thank you for the additional information and for thinking of others who’ll read your post👏

• Autorun, is a good/recommended setting.

In my image, the tiny ? highlighted red, selecting a question mark in any Kaspersky software will open a browser to the help document specific to the application window; the ? on this screen, Launch Kaspersky Internet Security at computer startup (recommended)

• If KIS does play up, and it’s not due to any other 3rd pty software, hardware, or environmental issues, selecting Restore settings may help, otherwise, reinstalling, can be a successful solution, & always ask, we’re here to help, if we can’t, the Kaspersky Technical Team will (for licensed software). 

Regarding Windows, 1909 is the latest version.   

Best regards. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, having apparently fixed the issue it has come to light today that since that exact time taht I turned off Windows Defender Kaspersky has stopped updating databases, despite the settings still being set to automatic and autorun etc…

I clicked ‘update database’ and this updated successfully, however, having done so, I have now got the original issue again whereby my computer keeps telling me that neither Kaspersky or Windows security is turned on. As before, Kaspersky does state that it is ON - Windows Defender has NOT turned itself back on - that still shows as off.

I’m going to monitor this over a few days to see whether databases start updating automatically again and whether or not I keep getting those messages telling me Kaspersky is not switched on.

I may try re-installing Kaspersky, though to be honest I find this rather onerous as I have had to do this several times this year for various reasons. I may just give up on it now!

Hello  @Dinsdale1,

Welcome back.

May I ask please: 

1. Patch f is being rolled out, is KIS still at patch e?
  2. Is Windows still 1809?
  3. The software compatibility check, what shows up?
  4. If Windows is run in SafeMode with Networking, do KIS Databas updates run automatically? 
  5. Have you contacted Kaspersky Technical Support, if “yes”, what have they advised please?

Please let us know?

Thank you

I am also facing similar issues after updating to Windows 1909, and as beforehand things were running okay.

KIS build is 20.0.14.1085

windows firewall is reporting it’s on, even though KIS firewall is on too. There isn’t even a report in the windows security panel to suggest kis is even installed (it appears under antivirus section howver). It appears as windows firewall is the only app on the PC to have firewall capabilities. 

If KIS firewall is turned off, i get the notification from KIS, but no warning comes from Windows security, unlike if the antivirus is turned off.

The firewall is now broken as i have tested and blocked programs from having internet access -  however, regardless of these settings, the apps still can access the network.

Furthermore, I have reinstalled and have found the issues to be there same, therefore can only suggest this is an issue with the new windows feature update.

Please update regarding a Kaspersky patch?

I am also facing similar issues after updating to Windows 1909, and as beforehand things were running okay.

KIS build is 20.0.14.1085

windows firewall is reporting it’s on, even though KIS firewall is on too. There isn’t even a report in the windows security panel to suggest kis is even installed (it appears under antivirus section howver). It appears as windows firewall is the only app on the PC to have firewall capabilities. 

If KIS firewall is turned off, i get the notification from KIS, but no warning comes from Windows security, unlike if the antivirus is turned off.

The firewall is now broken as i have tested and blocked programs from having internet access -  however, regardless of these settings, the apps still can access the network.

Furthermore, I have reinstalled and have found the issues to be there same, therefore can only suggest this is an issue with the new windows feature update.

Please update regarding a Kaspersky patch?

apologies, after going into security providers through windows security panel I see under antivirus defender is off and KIS is on. Under firewall windows firewall is on and KIS is off. If I turn this on through the menu it doesn’t seem to change anything (KIS firewall is actually turned on under KIS settings - however, as previously stated the rules aren’t applying i.e denying access) 

So this is a real mess re the firewall

Hello  @WhatTheBucks,

Welcome!

1. What patch is KIS on? 
  2. Please perform a software compatibility check?
  3. Have you logged a case with Kaspersky Technical Support? If “no”, please do so, and please include GSI & Windows Logs, a full problem history, including actions taken to resolve & images. 

Please let us know?

References: 

KIS Patches A – F for version 20.0.14.1085 Release notes

Vulnerability Report: List of Advisories, issued on 25th November, 2019

Thank you

Well, I still have patch e but this morning things are OK again. I have NOT received any notifications to say that this or that firewall is or isn’t turned on, and databases DID update automatically.

All I actually did yesterday was run the update manually when I got a notification that these ‘were extremely out of date’ and the Kaspersky icon turned red (funny that I hadn’t previously had any warnings to say that these were out of date and I went from green to red in one go). Although I checked to see that all settings were OK, they were, and I didn’t change anything.

I have had issues previously with databases not updating and the advice is always to do a clean install. Given that the problem appears to fixed on this occasion without re-installing, it’s hard to say whether the re-installation was actually what fixed it before. On that basis I will do nothing more for now. I have had Kaspersky for many years and only had minor issues from time to time when I was running Windows 7. However, it doesn’t seem to work well with Windows 10 as I have had nothing but trouble with it since I was forced to switch to W10 earlier this year!

Thanks, when I had issues previously I did raise a ticket with support and went through all of those things. In fact it took a week for them to discover that the fault was with Kaspersky and a patch was released that fixed the issue. On that occasion automatic updates were not happening and I was unable to run a manual update either.

On this occasion updates stopped happening after I turned off Windows Defender and Firewall (which had turned themselves on, causing other issues). I only noticed this a few weeks later when I got an ‘out of date’ notification.  This time I was able to run the update manually, which I did, and since doing that, automatic updates have resumed again without me changing any settings. 

All working OK again now.

Well, after automatically updating the databases for two days I notice this morning that this stopped happening again as my databases are once again out of date.

I decided to do a clean re-install and I thought this would automatically update the data bases - it didn’t and I have had to manually update them. Having done so I have now received the messages about neither Windows or Kaspersky security being turned on.

Whatthebucks mentioned earlier that problems seem to be associated with security patch e and disappeared once he received patch f. I rather thought that a forced reinstall would update me to patch f, but no, I’m still on patch e and what I read online suggests I cannot do anything to force the update. 

Since ‘upgrading’ to Windows 10 I am worn out with all the issues I have had with Kaspersky - never had any significant issues with Windows 7 over many years. I have sadly cancelled my automatic renewal and will try something new when my current subscription expires.

Hello  @Dinsdale1

Additional to  @KarDip.

Patch E for Kaspersky Internet Security version 20.0.14.1085 was released on October 23, 2019, it’s really odd that, even after a fresh install, KIS has not updated to F. 

As Kaspersky staggers global patch distribution (& as we don’t know your region), it’s worth asking Kaspersky Technical Support if F has been released in your region?

Furthermore G is being rolled out as atm… 

We’re very interested in your issue, please let us know the outcome?

Thank you

Region wise, I am in the UK. Two days after clean install I checked to see if databases had updated and I noted that they had and I have now also received patch f. I waited to see if automatic updates happened and for the first 48 hours they didn’t. I thought they were more frequent than that so it initially seemed that these were not happening, however, this morning they have updated.

So, again, all appears to be OK for now so I will monitor from time to time to see that updates continue. If not, I will update manually.

As I say, I have raised several tickets with support over the last few months, for various issues including one similar to this, and it is too onerous to do so again. My subscription runs for 3 more months so if all runs smoothly I will probably renew (manually as I have cancelled automatic renewal) and if not I will try something else.

Thanks for your interest an help!