How long should a "full scan take" on a half full 2TB hard drive on a MacBook Pro running Catalina plus... [Closed]

Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

Hello @Sister Sabina

Additional to my last reply, KIS19 Reports looks like, with the Export feature in the top right hand corner…..

Even if Kaspersky have changed KIS20, I cannot comprehend they would do away with the Reports feature, let’s keep looking, they have to be there somewhere🤔

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have eventually found the report icon which you are talking about.  But unless I get another indication of that adware notice before 10am our time I won’t be able to report back to you unfortunately.  MacBook off to doctors and it most likely won’t be back for a day or two as we are sending it in rather than taking it in ourselves.

Hello @Sister Sabina

Well done👏

To put me out of my misery, may I have an image of the full Report screen please? I’m going to frame it😅 !

Don’t worry about actually exporting any data atm, it’s more important to get the MAC repaired,

If you need / wish to post back when you have it back, I’m happy to keep working with you. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Well after leaving my MacBook Pro in the pc clinic for 2 days, they couldnt find anything wrong with it.  Now I’m having trouble with KIS scans.  KIS keep “not responding” after say 19% or even 50% way through the “full scan”.  I have since, unplugged both CCCloner and Time Machine which allowed the scan to proceed through to 100% after 4 hrs.  But now, KIS refuses to export the final report.  It just hangs there with the typical MAC spinning and refusing to budge.  

Hello @Sister Sabina,

Welcome back!

• Has the flickering stopped?
  • Can any Report be exported?

Please do the following:

1. Check the (system) temp cleanup steps we’ve done earlier in our troubleshooting, repeat if necessary?
  2. Uninstall KIS, using uninstallation Wizard
  3. Reboot the computer.
  4. Install KIS again. 
  5. With CCloner & TimeMachine disconnected, run the Full scan again, check the time & if it “hangs” at any point?
  6. If the Full Scan is successful, try again to export the Report? 
  • Please let me know the outcome?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Yes, the flckering has stopped.  It stopped the very next day after it appeared.  The tech could only put it down to having too much running at the same time: e.g. two backup software, full virus scan, an OS upgrade to say the least. And I think it just wanted a night’s sleep.

No, no report whatsoever can be exported.  It just hangs “KIS is not responding”.

1. I have been running the temp cleanup steps consistently just in case that was the problem.
  2. Will now uninstall KIS
  3. I did run KIS this morning with neither Time Machine nor CCloner working but will do again.

BTW, fortunately, this mornings run didn’t find anything out of the ordinary and MAL reported nothing out of the normal, except to say that I had too many antivirus and the like installed.  LOL

Hello @Sister Sabina,

Thank you!

• (imo), the MAC wanting/needing 😴 is perfectly reasonable, he/she has been thru a lot!
  • The Safari detection has gone👏 , that’s wonderful🤸

Discussion, in the Windows environment with KISv20, there’s s documented conflict between KIS & MBAM, it’s not documented for MAC/KISv20, however, just to exclude the possibility, uninstall MBAM, reboot, uninstall KIS according to my previous reply, reboot, then: 

1. Install KIS again. 
  2. With CCloner & TimeMachine disconnected, run the Full scan again, check the time & if it “hangs” at any point?
  3. If the Full Scan is successful, try again to export the Report? 
  • If 1 to 3 are successful, we may have to check if MBAM conflict also exists for MAC, we’ll worry about this based on your findings🤔
  • Please let me know the outcome?

Thank you🙏

Flood

The result is as before.  I uninstalled MBAM and CCleaner, uninstalled KIS and then reinstalled it.  KIS did its full scan without incident but it absolutely refuses to export a report.  Shows KIS is “not responding”.  I give up.  I will be satisfied at this stage now after all of this that, if I don’t have an abnormality on a weekly full scan of KIS then so be it.  This version is a 10 license version (for the congregation) and I’m not sure for how many years that license runs for.  However, I think I will just have to rethink when KIS is due for renewal to choose something more compatible.

Many thanks for all your time and effort.  I truly do thank you.  I believe that we have exhausted all avenues at this point.

Sr. Sabina

PS. forgot to say that I had also unplugged both Time Machine and CCC.  

Hello @Sister Sabina

You’re most welcome!

• I’d like to commend you for your determination, attention to detail and for being so easy to work with, it was a my pleasure to assist you☺ , you made it easy for me, thank you🙏
  • I don’t see the need to uninstall CCleaner, it’s a valuable tool, (imo) keep it, it helped cleaning up the system.
  • Ditto for MBAM, it’s also valuable, and clearly not responsible for the “unable to export Report” issue. 
  • If you wish to know the KIS license period, check the MyKaspersky account, Licenses Tab, select Details, you’ll find the Expiry date, alternatively, the KIS application Information screen should have the license Expiry information, 3rd option, the KIS icon shield, rightclick, select About.
  • As the original issue is resolved, all the detections have been cleared, that’s a good outcome, you did a lot of work to get to this point👏
  • Clearly, if another detection occurs, please post back🤔 ?
  • Are you reconnecting TimeMachine &  CCC, (imo), I hope so, I would suggest only disconnect them when running a Full scan, otherwise, as you said previously, they are important to your DR strategy. 
  • Before you leave, allow me to “re-confirm”, no report, no even a small report can be exported, is that correct, please let me know? 
  • Please check  /Library/Application Support/Kaspersky Lab/KAV/Data/Report, are there any Reports?

Please let me know? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

1. Thank you for your kind words.  I am noted for my determination even if it is to the detriment of my health at times.
  2. I did as you suggested and reinstalled both CCleaner and MBAM.  Reason being, CCC on its backup this afternoon triggered the same “adware in Safari”.  Despite never using Safari and the CCC external drive having been reformatted at the weekend.  I just “quarantined” the one which I wasn’t given any other option, and deleted the one which I could.  I guess I just have to take your word and treat “adware” as something which I need to be aware off. There was, though, no option to export a “report”.  Even though I do know whether the little export button lies now.  Will see if I can get a report tomorrow.
  3. Yes, I have now reconnected both Time Machine and CCC.  That was after the full scan this morning.
  4. Just checked your  /Library/Application Support/Kaspersky Lab/KAV/Data/Report and, guess what?  There are 4 Folders, then 4 .dat files and a “report.rpt”  The last one is only 17kb though.  Do you want me to send these to you to look at?  And if so, what is the best way to send them?

The reports are 18.1mb compressed

Hello @Sister Sabina

You’re most welcome!

Thank you for replying and the additional information🙏

Your determination is evident, as is your attention to detail, both much to be admired☺

• Regarding the Safari detection, are there any Safari processes in the Activity Monitor, check when the FireFox browser is active? 
  • I would like to look at the .rpt file, however, it may not attach, please copy it, change the extension to .txt & attach to your reply, that may or may not work🤔
  • Re the 18.1mb Reports, zip them please & attach please? 

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

1. Sorry it took me this long to get back to you.  Had to do a google for  “Activity Monitor” is in order to check.  According to the monitor all Safari items are at 0 in and out. However, CCleaner always has a heap of Safari stuff when I do an analyze. And that is even when I never use it.  Have included a screenshot of what CCleaner always brings up in regards.
  2. I have included the .txt file and will try to get the zipped file of the other data.  Hopefully KIS is generous with such big transfers.
  3. I also had further feedback from MBAM to the effect: “ In addition to my last email, there is also a proxy setting that you may want to remove it if not needed. For that, Go to > System Preferences > Network > Advanced > Proxies 

Uncheck whatever is checked so that it sets to default

Restart computer.

Hello @Sister Sabina

Thank you for the information & the Reports & the image👌

• Unfortunately the Report “idea” was not fruitful. 
  • Safari showing up in CCleaner does not surprise me as it’s part of the Mac operating system, my concern is the Safari .js detections, those I would like to stop. 
  • Is it possible to double click on the Safari items & get the extended detail please, look primarily for anything that has a .js extension? 
  • I know we did a full reset of Safari, I’m not sure I checked the Safari version, looking back thru the work it would appear not, please confirm all MAC updates have been applied and the Safari version?
  • (imo) if the Safari .js detection returns, that’s the file/data that would be good to submit to Kaspersky Virus Lab & Kaspersky Lab Technical Support for analysis, it could very well be a False Positive, if so, they will fix it or advise why not, if, in their opinion, it should remain classified🤔
  • If you do submit another case to the Support Team, it’s worth asking them why the Reports cannot be exported & or downloaded? If they suggest it’s due to a MBAM conflict you can let them know the issue pre-existed MBAM😉 .
  • It would be good to have an update in a week, if things are all good, and I’d certainly like to hear if things go off the rails again? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hi, just reporting as to what has been happening and to let you know that, as of this moment and after 4 backups on Carbon Copy Cloner, the “adware” problem which I was having has, miraculously disappeared and that my MacBook Pro is running ever so smoothly with TIME MACHINE, CCC and KIS coexisting just nicely.  Nearly 3 weeks now all told.  Japan KIS technical support got in touch because 7 days had passed since my initial request for help.  They forwarded me onto London support.  Not much help though.  In the meantime I had uninstalled KIS on the recommendation of people at the Apple community group.  Reinstalled KIS on my own initiative, ran CCleaner many times, MALB and problem gone. 

Thank you so much for all your help and for not having given up.

Sr. Sabina

Tokyo

Now a very happy KIS user

Hello Sr. Sabina,

You’re very welcome☺ !

It’s great to hear from you & especially pleasing to read the outstanding results👏

Thank you for taking the time to update your topic🙏 . 

• ❓ Did Japanese or London Support assist with the Report export/download issue or is that still outstanding?

Please let us know?

Best regards,

Flood🐳

No, it was kind of a joke.  London says change your pc language over to English (which it is) then follow what Japanese technical support requested.  Then come back to us with that file which I had been able to produce for even you.  So I was no better off.  Turned to Apple community and they tell me I don’t need an antivirus at all and that it was most likely put in there by KIS in the first place.  A total disaster and a good laugh if it wasnt funny.  Looking back now, it comes as a comedy in these dire times.