How long should a "full scan take" on a half full 2TB hard drive on a MacBook Pro running Catalina plus... [Closed]

Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished as you posted your message.  Glad to say that it has finished with no signs of infection whatsoever.  Have included a screenshot to show the result for your info.  BTW, would it now be wise to include the Time Machine and CCC HDDs from any further backups seeing as they take so jolly long in performing?  Just as I have with all the Adobe applications which I have installed.

I have to go out for an hour or so, so will wait to hear from you before I reconnect the Time Machine and CCC HDD and do a clean backup on both of them.

Hello @Sister Sabina

Well done, excellent work👏 !

🅰 Regarding “would it now be wise to include the Time Machine and CCC HDDs from any further backups seeing as they take so jolly long in performing?”

1. Include or exclude? 
  2. What do you use the Time Machine for?
  3. Ditto for Carbon Copy Cloner? 
  4. Is it necessary to have both? 

General conversation, Full Scans are always necessary after a clean install, a major update, if there’s an infection (as we’ve been working with in your Topic), otherwise, if the system starts clean, Daily Scans & Kaspersky’s Real Time Protection should be sufficient. 

The HDDs are large, that may be a factor in the Scan time duration, but maybe not, it’s possible that the detected objects were so “thick”, KIS was methodically digging away. 

I have seen similar detections in old backups, that KIS can identify, but not resolve, that may also have been a factor🤔  I think we do a bit more work & plan out the best scenario moving forward🤔  

Let me know when you’re back please and we’ll continue☺ ?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

1. Sorry I meant: “exclude” from KIS scans since if I am now able to do full scans that don’t take days to complete due to their scanning of Time Machine. I am now able to do weekly full scans.
  2. I have Time Machine doing backups of my HD at regular intervals during the day. I think its on an hourly basic to start with.  Tremendous piece of software should you have unknowingly deleted something.  You can always get it back. CCC also backups the whole of the HD and I run it once daily.  That is just in case Time Machine fails for some unknown reason.  Time Machine is great for installing a HD image onto a new PC.
  3. Ok I will now go ahead with my backups and I will report back.  
  4. As for doing full scans.  I will certainly be doing so from now on thanks to you having sorted this out for me.

I will report back and many thanks.  

Hello @Sister Sabina,

It’s my pleasure, I’m very happy with the work you’ve done & the outcome😊

Thank you for the update & the clarification👌

With all backups, and disaster recovery “solutions”, it’s worth doing regular housekeeping, that helps when Scans are run as there’s no real value scanning archives from years back if those sets don’t have any changed data. 

When you’re ready, I’ll like you to run Malwarebytes for Mac, hopefully it won’t find anything, but let’s do it just in case🤔

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello @Sister Sabina

I never accept cookies unless I’m forced too, that translates to, if the page cannot be accessed unless cookies are accepted, I “accept” under duress😠 , after finishing on the page, I clean the browser of whatever has been “loaded”, for Firefox, about:preferences#privacy, Manage Data, Clear Data, either clear the lot or clear what you wish to get rid off… 

Oftentimes, Adware comes “surreptitiously” with browser extensions & Themes, if you start getting alerts similar to ““not-a-virus:Heur.AdWarex”, always check extensions or Themes. 

If KIS Report gives a path to any detection, scan the file at Kaspersky Virus Lab Online Scanner, if you think the detection is a False Position, zip the file, secure the zip with a password & log a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, include as much history as possible, Operating system version & build, KIS version & patch, images, ask them to analyse the file. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Not out of the woods yet!  Malwarebytes found the following two items.

Is it worth paying for the “premium” version in order to be completely safe?  I don’t mind if it will keep my Macbook Pro “free” of these little nasties.

Hello @Sister Sabina

I missed the double post, sorry😓

Let me look at this, I will reply shortly. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello @Sister Sabina

• ➡ Please export the MBAM Report to a text file & attach📎 to your reply please? 
  • NB, MBAM is very good at finding PUPs, potentially unwanted programs, can also be known as Adware & or Crapware, however, imo, there’s no need to invest in the Premium version, simply use the Free version on a regular basis, include it in a housekeeping routine, or if the system starts to show signs of problems. 
  • MBAM has Browserguard (free) for both Firefox & Chrome, imo, these are valuable tools and complementary with KIS & KIS Protection extensions. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello @Sister Sabina

For the future, for you, in case you decide to continue using MBAM, check if MBAM-MAC has Save Results v Copy to clipboard, Export to TXT

If the 2nd MBAM Scan is clean, please download MAC-CCleaner, read Using CCleaner for MacAbout CCleaner for Mac's RulesMac OS X Tab, run the tool please, however, report the results, do not run the final clean atm please? 

Let me know the outcome please? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

I sent a report off to MBAM and am awaiting a reply.

1. Both Time Machine and CCC are still backing up.
  2. KIS reported the following adware in Time Machine
  3. Run CCCleaner and following is the result  (no, I haven’t deleted anything)

MBAM’s response:

“Hi,
Those would have been part of one of a couple antivirus apps that we detect as PUPs (potentially unwanted programs). Since those were the only files detected, I'm guessing you probably removed the app at some point in the past, leaving those two pieces behind.”

Hello @Sister Sabina

Thank you for the update👌

Apologies for the delay getting back to you, I managed to brick my system doing some of the testing😲 ​​​​​​, has taken me hours to fix😰

1 Regarding the PUPs, please Quarantine both files, if there’s a Delete option, please use that as well or instead, reboot, rerun MBAM, let me know if there’s any continued MBAM detections please? 

a] Regarding the KIS .js detections, please open KIS, Preferences, Reports, export the Report (the little export icon is in the top righthand corner of the reports window), save as a txt file, attach to your reply please?

2b] Regarding the KIS .js detections, follow the TimeMachine path, if possible find the file(s), zip, password protect, upload to cloud please? 

3 Regarding CCleaner, may I have an image of the CCleaner app main window please? 

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Yes, I know what you mean about “bricking” your PC.  My Macbook Pro has developed this flickering which doesn’t look too good. 

1. There was no option to “delete” so I “quarantined” both.
  2. CCC has just finished its massive backup and detected a .js file as well.  Aslo a “private..ckBrowse.safariextension?Scripts/background.js” so I can only presume that it is the same one that Time Machine is finding.  However, from the report it gave me, I can’t see how to get a report to you.  e.g. KIS, Preferences, Reports, export the Report (the little export icon is in the top righthand corner of the reports window) doesn’t seem to exist on my version.  Mine is all in Japanese and I can’t get it to load the file at the seat of the problem. Time Machine still hasn’t finished its backup so can’t say where that one is.  Maybe the same.  Where could I find /private/tmp/…… I have tried a search of pc but to no avail.
  3. Have attached the CCleaner main page for you.

Hello @Sister Sabina

Thank you👌 !

1. Re flickering😟 , is it possible to make a small video and post please? 
  2. Was CCC massive even with exclusions? ‘
  3. If TimeMachine is still backing up let’s wait until it’s finished before searching🤔
  4. For CCleaner, may I also have an image of Applications window & Tools window please? 
  5. Please run CCleaner again and post the result please? 
  6. KIS Reports, remind me to learn Japanese 😉, the icon looks like
  • a] Select the KIS Protection icon, there should be a dropdown list with Reports, take an image of the full screen, post back please? 
  • b] Select the KIS Threats icon, take an image of the full screen, post back please? 

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

1. Will catch the “flickering” when I get the chance.
  2. Yes, some 900GB for CCC and Time Machine is a little less but it won’t go its full backup as yet. I agree to letting Time Machine have its chance to backup since if this machine has to go in for repairs I will need that image to restore from.
  3. Have attached all the CCleaner files you requested.
  4. I still can’t find the upload icon you are talking about.  Got one that might be of interest.
  5. According to that report there are no infections, despite the indication that there was one earlier today.  And, thankfully, CCC didn’t find any when it just did its daily backup.  They usually appear then with their nasty little “growl” sound.

I’m currently experience serious pc problems - display seems to be giving up the ghost.  Maybe the motherboard as well.  Fortunately, I just bought a new Macbook Pro 16inch a couple of weeks ago but that has displayed not problems in regards to these problems which I have been discussing here.  Both TIME MACHINE and CCC are backed up there.

Hello @Sister Sabina

1. The very last image, the detection, is that current? 
  2. Re CCleaner, Firefox, Safari, to help me understand, didn’t you decide not to use Safari? 
  3. The image with the fat-green-midorikuma-bear, is that the KIS main window? I’m after the Kaspersky application window showing the Menu bar, with the Kaspersky icon, Preferences etc, or take a full screen image of every Kaspersky window, post please: even tho the 🇮 text on the images is impossible for me, I’ll be able to find the Reports, eventually😓 

Please post back🙏

Flood🐳

KIS Reports

1. That image appeared around lunchtime.
  2. No, I’m not using Safari at all.  I have both Chrome and Firefox installed.  I have absolutely no idea how that Safari entry was generated.  It certainly wasn’t through my doing.  Unfortunately you can’t delete Safari completely even if you wanted to.  But I will certainly deleted what is in CCleaner if thats ok with you.
  3. No, that’s not the main window.  I have attached the “preferences” window.

In order:

1. Protection
  2. Scan
  3. not sure what the lightening bolt is
  4. Kaspersky Security Network
  5. Update
  6. Privacy
  7. Browser
  8. Information - here there are 2 items: 1. report - record also non-urgent events. 2. send report automatically to KIS when errors occur

but in both the two later error reports there is nowhere to “export” a file.

Hello @Sister Sabina

Thank you👌

1 So, the detection that occurred ‘around lunchtime’ was beforeCCC didn’t find any when it just did its daily backup. They usually appear then with their nasty little “growl” sound”, which, tracking back was 3 hours ago? (We’re on different timezones, so forgive me please for not knowing the correct time). 

2 Yes definitely use CCleaner to get rid of the Safari entries, then if nothing is running, shutdown & restart, run CCLeaner again, let me know the outcome & run a KIS Full Scan, let me know the outcome please? 

3 Open Information please, may I have a full screen image please? 

4➡ Looking at the KIS Reports documentation:

Application operation report, information about events related to File Anti-Virus, Web Anti-Virus, Network Attack Blocker, Website Tracking, virus scan, or update tasks in the Reports window. To open the Reports window, in the menu bar, choose Protection > Reports.

⭕ Is this documentation incorrect? ⭕

5 The black triangle with the  ⚡ is Threats

6 Have you installed KIS on the new MAC and does the new MAC have the image from this MAC we’ve been working on? If “yes” it would be a good idea to run a Full Scan on the new MAC to make sure no contaminated files have been transferred please? 

7 Are there any Safari processes in the Activity Monitor?

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳