Host Process for Windows Services webcam notification

Hello,

as a Surface Go user, I got notifications that Host Process for Windows Services (PID: 3656) is using my webcam every time I logged in, because I use Windows Hello (face recognition) when logging in to my PC. But several days ago I started seeing that notification permanently on my screen (not disappearing after few seconds).

I also tried to block that process’ access to my webcam via Kaspersky, but after restart probably a new process started running and my cam was again on. I also have a camera privacy light on my PC and it is not shining all the time, only correctly when using camera for Windows Hello.

Couldn’t it be some type of malware using my webcam masked as “Host Process for Windows Services”? Or is it just some bug in Kaspersky? I tried to run deep antivirus scan, but it found nothing in my PC.

Thank you!

PID: 3656

PID: 3656

Windows version: 10 Home x64, Build 19044

Version of Kaspersky: 21.3.10.391 (d), latest update today (26/07/2021) 14:02

Hello,

For answer your question, You should do the following step to analyse which svchost.exe (Host Process for Windows Services) do this behavior.

When this popup windows display, you should record this process PID. I use Edge browser to explain how to do.

For your situation, It should svchost.exe. There are so many svchost.exe, according to the PID, you should find the related svchost.exe, right-click it and select go to service(s). you will find the services name. Please tell us the services name.

Regards.

Hi, @Wesly.Zhang, it's WbioSrvc (process Windows Biometric Service), so it should be ok. Therefore I don't understand why I'm seeing that notification all the time after logging in and I have to manually hide it, maybe it's really some bug.

Hello,

The biometric fingerprint recognition technology and the initial API call of the camera to recognize the face may trigger this detection.

Regards.

it's WbioSrvc (process Windows Biometric Service), so it should be ok. Therefore I don't understand why I'm seeing that notification all the time after logging in and I have to manually hide it, maybe it's really some bug.

Hello @peeters147

Thank you for the information👌

Also:

1. What options are available after selecting the tiny down arrow? 

2. Does “I have to manually hide it”, mean you’ve managed the alert from the KIS application or from the Webcam alert (we see in the image)? 
  3. Patch E is being rolled out in staggered distribution, remove 21.3.10.391 (d) & do a clean install → do not save any options, other than Save License information only & recheck the issue? 

Please let us know?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hi, thank you for your responses! 👍

I tried it with another app and the notification is also not disappearing after closing the app, so it might be some bug. I tried uninstalling and installing newest version of Kaspersky as you sent me and my problem is still not solved.

(@Flood and Flood's wifeManually hide it means I have to click on Hide notification as can be seen in screenshot.)

Hi, thank you for your responses! 👍

I tried it with another app and the notification is also not disappearing after closing the app, so it might be some bug. I tried uninstalling and installing newest version of Kaspersky as you sent me and my problem is still not solved.

(@Flood and Flood's wifeManually hide it means I have to click on Hide notification as can be seen in screenshot.)

Hello,

Go to Webcam Protection settings to uncheck this setting.

if you want to config some application which could access webcam, you can do the following step, such as the browsers.

Regards.