Help! Can't install/run w/o installing Kaspersky's root CA key

Mr.ME
Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

Hi.  I am a licensed 

Kaspersky Internet Security
for Mac user.
It stopped working and I reinstalled, and I am stuck.  It seems I'm being FORCED to allow "Encrypted web traffic inspection*" in order to use any features of the application.
This seems to be a new anti-feature.  I don't want to enable this feature - I don't want to install Kaspersky's root CA key.  I want the rest of the features.
Is there a solution?  

*"Installing the trusted certificate allows Kaspersky Internet Security to search for malware and internet threats in encrypted HTTPS traffic."

• Solution

Hello @Mr.ME

Welcome back!

In the Start the application for the first time, it says: 

image.thumb.png.b330733bccab00d2058c0de6dd6a6b0c.png

• IF there's features you do not wish to use but doing so may compromise the effectiveness of the security, you may wish to contact Kaspersky Support, on the support page select either Chat or Email, then select Application malfunction, Other template; please include any screen images of the error, the KIS Report & a detailed history; Support may request logs, traces & other data, they will guide you. 

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.  This bites.  I opened a chat and they said the same thing, more or less.  I asked for a refund and they refused.
I tried to allow it, and it installed the cert (I can see it in Keychain.) but KIS still thinks it's not installed, and refuses to run. 
I'm trying remote support now.  I asked for a copy of the chat and they (Carlo) agreed to provide one BUT I haven't received it.  And the chat window is incomplete - the top is truncated.  Quite diabolical.  I wanted to give Kaspersky a chance after the USG was heavy handed, but it seems I shouldn't have. :-(

I appreciate you being here offering help though.  

• Thanks 1

(Here's the non-truncated bit of the chat:

Please try to restart first anfd if you still need help, please connect via remote using steps over email.

Carlo
3.12.2022 22:33

Maybe I need to do that before you connect? How can I continue the chat after reboot?

You

OK, thanks.

You

If issue was reoslve, please reply back on my email

Carlo

Yes please reboot. Thank you

Carlo

Thank you for your patience

Carlo
3.12.2022 22:34

Would there be anything else that I can help you with?

Carlo

Reboting now.

You

I see your email.

You
3.12.2022 22:35

Sure, please reply back to my email if any issue or connect via remote session

Carlo

If that would be all I will proceed to close this chat session.

When I close the chat on my end, a survey will automatically appear for you to rate the service that I provided to you today, we will appreciate if you participate in the survey.

This rating will be based only on the support I have provided to you to measure your satisfaction with my service.

The chat information will also reappear after completing the survey.

You can email the information I have provided in the chat using the envelope icon in the upper left of the chat window.

Thank you for contacting Kaspersky.

Carlo

We care for your personal data, therefore we don’t keep cookies for this page. Please, don't reload the page, otherwise your chat session will be automatically closed.

The conversation has been completed. Please feel free to continue it anytime.

Carlo
3.12.2022 22:36

Neat. The chat survived the reboot.

)

PS.  I've been 1st in queue for 25 minutes now, for "remote support".
Edited by Mr.ME
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mr.ME said:

Thanks.  This bites.  I opened a chat, and they said the same thing, more or less. 

I asked for a refund, and they refused.
I tried to allow it, and it installed the cert (I can see it in Keychain.) but KIS still thinks it's not installed and refuses to run. 
I'm trying remote support now.  I asked for a copy of the chat, and they (Carlo) agreed to provide one BUT I haven't received it.  And the chat window is incomplete - the top is truncated.  Quite diabolical.  I wanted to give Kaspersky a chance after the USG was heavy handed, but it seems I shouldn't have. ?
I appreciate you being here offering help though.  

Hello @Mr.ME

You're most welcome!

Thank you for posting back & we're so sorry you've had an unsatisfactory support experience?

1. Ouch, that transcript is ugly - sadly the new online chat software leaves a lot to be desired. 
  2. There is no Email chat button for Kaspersky Subscribers to be able to use, to send their own chat transcripts, forcing them to request the transcript from the Chat operator - the Chat operator is supposed to send the Chat transcript as soon as the Chat ends, but, in our experience, it can take up to 3 working days to arrive & when it does - it will be in (1) .pdf format & (2) it's a combination of English & Russian (most of the important stuff is English, so don't worry, you won't have to take a crash course, learning Russian). 
  3. Why did they refuse a refund? 
  4. Please post the Incident reference number
  5. Please keep the Community updated with the progress?

Thank you?
Flood?+?

• Haha 1

1. Agreed. 
2.Thanks - wow :classic_ohmy::classic_wacko:
3.They didn't give a reason for refusing a refund. 
4.I'm curious what the benefit is of posting the Incident reference number.

I guess this is it?  ID INC000014794360. 
5. I'm still in queue.  I got to the front, only to have to grant access to my browser, which required a browser restart, and a return to the queue. 

• Thanks 1

Oh, man.  Now Firefox is completely broken by KIS.  It refuses to connect to any website.   (I'm using Brave for this site.)

google, microsoft, youtube, all broken.  Mozilla: 

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.mozilla.org. PR_CONNECT_ABORTED_ERROR

Error code: PR_CONNECT_ABORTED_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Even Kaspersky:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.kaspersky.com. PR_CONNECT_ABORTED_ERROR

Error code: PR_CONNECT_ABORTED_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Learn more…

(same)

While youtube and google are like list: 

Unable to connect

An error occurred during a connection to www.youtube.com.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the web.

Edited by Mr.ME
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mr.ME said:

• 3.They didn't give a reason for refusing a refund. 
  • 4.I'm curious what the benefit is of posting the Incident reference number. ID INC000014794360. 
  • 5. I'm still in queue.  I got to the front, only to have to grant access to my browser, which required a browser restart, and a return to the queue. 
  • 2.Thanks - wow :classic_ohmy::classic_wacko:

Hello @Mr.ME

Thank you for posting back & the information. 

1. Re the Refund, they have to give a reason - ask them!
  2. Does the Secure Connection Failed, PR_CONNECT_ABORTED_ERROR - have any extended details
  3. Is it only Firefox? 
  4. Is Firefox signed in with a User account? 
  5. While you're online with the Chat op, report Secure Connection Failed, PR_CONNECT_ABORTED_ERROR issue as well. 
  6. Read: PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR - there's a lot of reading!!
  7. The Chat transcript will look like: 

image.thumb.png.819dea59899bf75a223397c9b310fc4a.png

Please post back?

Thank you?
Flood?+?

3/4. It's only Firefox.  It is signed in.   This bites.  Firefox is my main/preferred browser!

But after quitting and reopening it, it's working again!?! google, microsoft, youtube, Mozilla all work in Firefox again. 

Edited by Mr.ME
  • Like 1

(16:45:09) Jeddy said:
for the refund, it is not possible. its already beyond the window period
(16:45:21) You said:
When was the window period?
(16:45:42) Jeddy said:
its 30 days after the payment
(16:45:50) You said:
Doesn't make sense; it was working, it stopped working.
(16:46:49) You said:
The app didn't even require this root cert be installed; now it does and won't run even though it is installed.
(16:50:02) You said:
If you won't refund me, then when you're escalate it to our developer, ask if/how I can just bypass the Encrpted web traffic inspection.  I don't want it anyway. I just want the rest of KIS to work.
(16:55:07) You said:
Hello?
(16:56:29) Jeddy said:
sorry for the inconvenience
(16:57:08) Jeddy said:
for now i can only escalate to the developer for the alternative option
(16:57:59) You said:
:-(
(16:58:08) Jeddy said:
i am truly sorry about this
(16:59:22) You said:
You can't even ASK if/how I can use the software without the newly forced on me feature that doesn't work that I don't want?  Really?
(16:59:37) Jeddy said:
yes, as that is required

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Mr.ME said:
  1. "for the refund, it is not possible. its already beyond the window period"
  2. Re Forced feature

Hello @Mr.ME

Thank you for the update!

1. Yes, 30 days refund policy, there's no getting around that, new feature or not. 
  2. Re the new "forced" feature, it appears as tho Kaspersky are approaching the complainant as a suggestion?

Thank you?
Flood?+?

• 4 weeks later...