Google Chrome Download to a network drive - Virus Scan Failed, due to File AV

Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

I can't download any files on my new computer via Google Chrome to a network drive. Each time I try, I get "Virus Scan Failed". Only Chrome is affected, and only network drives. If I turn off File Anti-Virus in Kaspersky, I can download no problem. I have the scope set in File Anti-Virus to not check network drives, but it seems it's doing this anyway. Anyone have any idea where to look from here? I used the same program on my old computer, downloaded to the same location, and it always worked, I never had to make changes to it.

I can't download any files on my new computer via Google Chrome to a network drive. I get "Virus Scan Failed". Only Chrome is affected, and only network drives. If I turn off File Anti-Virus in Kaspersky, I can download no problem. I have the scope set in File Anti-Virus to not check network drives, but it seems it's doing this anyway. Anyone have any idea where to look from here? I used the same program on my old computer, downloaded to the same location, and it always worked, I never had to make changes to it.
Hello pjcolonna, Welcome! The "Virus Scan Failed" message is generated by Chrome virus scanner. Changing Kaspersky "File Anti-Virus" to not check network drives, will have no effect as the alert is not generated by Kaspersky software. ---- Please tell us: Operating system name? version? build? KIS version? patch(x)? x = letter Chrome version? Thank you:pray_tone3:

Chrome is version 76.0.3809.100 KIS is 20.0.14.1085 (c)
Hello pjcolonna, Thanks for posting back & the information:pray_tone3:
  1. Go to KIS (application) REPORTS, look for any events that match the files/network "blocked" or detected, if there are any such events, select the CATEGORY (not ALL EVENTS), 24hrs or 7days, export the report, save the report as a .txt file, upload using the "upload" icon, in your reply please?
IF there are no events in KIS application, go to:
  1. Chrome browser
  2. More Tools
  3. Developer Tools
  4. Console
> replicate the issue look for RED errors only, select the log by "right clicking" in the log area, select "Save as", the file will be a .log file, upload .log file, using the "upload" icon, in your reply please? ---- Note: Exclusion configurations can be applied, however, it would be good to see the actual errors before we provide steps to apply exclusions. Please post back? Thank you. .About Kaspersky Internet Security

I ended up turning off virus scanning on download via the registry at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments by changing the ScanWithAntivirus entry from 3 to 1. The only things I download on this machine are programs from known good sites, so I’m not really worried about this. Thanks for all the assistance Flood!

I ended up turning off virus scanning on download via the registry at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments by changing the ScanWithAntivirus entry from 3 to 1. The only things I download on this machine are programs from known good sites, so I’m not really worried about this. Thanks for all the assistance Flood!
Hello pjcolonna, You're very welcome and I'm delighted you've found a solution:clap_tone3:! Thanks for posting back:pray_tone3:! Just for additional safety, you could also always manually scan any downloaded files, before opening. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...
Any new method to get rid off this error without having to turn off virus scanning via the registry? And what exactly is turned off this way? Virus scan from Windows/Kaspersky? What I dont get so far, is it a Windows, Kaspersky or Chrome related issue? I assume it is either a Windows or Kaspersky issue since on Windows 1809 and KIS18 I never had this problem when downloading something directly to a network drive? Thanks in advance for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
Any new method to get rid off this error without having to turn off virus scanning via the registry? And what exactly is turned off this way? Virus scan from Windows/Kaspersky? What I dont get so far, is it a Windows, Kaspersky or Chrome related issue? I assume it is either a Windows or Kaspersky issue since on Windows 1809 and KIS18 I never had this problem when downloading something directly to a network drive? Thanks in advance for your help.
I, too, am having this problem. The issue only occurred after KIS was installed. Despite Chrome producing the error, I have a feeling this problem might be Kaspersky related, but I don't know what the resolution is. FLOOD thoughts? Support advised I download Kleaner and run it but it didn't fix the issue. I have tried leaving KIS running and disabling only the Chrome Kaspersky extension but that does nothing. Only disabling KIS will allow me to download files. When KIS is enabled, this is the error Chrome produces: Resource interpreted as Document but transferred with MIME type application/octet-stream: "https://box.kaspersky.com/seafhttp/files/a458b4f2-f3aa-48df-8797-d69b6f8355c0/KLeaner.exe". Running KTS 20.0.14.1085(d) Chrome Version 76.0.3809.132 Windows 10 x64 Build 17763

Hello Digital Epitome, Thank you for posting. I do have information, I will post in next 24 hours. In the meantime, may I ask please, which support advised using Kleaner? Please let me know? Thank you
FLOOD Not sure which division / dept the email came from but it was addressed Kaspersky Lab Technical Support - customerservicesolution@kaspersky.com My client's office was about to open and the end-user needed her computer early this morning so I just exported all settings, deleted the license, completely gutted KIS, rebooted, and reinstalled the application from scratch. The problem has now been fixed in case anyone else is subscribed to this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...