"free" version of 2020 security cloud complains that I didn't have a licence.

ShanePhillips

I have tried upgrading 2 of my existing computers from the free version of Kaspersky 2019 to the "free" version of 2020 security cloud (in fact security cloud is the only thing now offered when I search Kaspersky free) but it doesn't actually seem to be free at all. On both computers as soon as I signed in it simply complained that I didn't have a licence. It would be rather nice for a free antivirus solution to actually be a free antivirus solution, so I guess the question is are Kaspersky's licensing servers currently screwed up or is this a way of conning people into buying subs?

I have tried upgrading 2 of my existing computers from the free version of Kaspersky 2019 to the "free" version of 2020 security cloud (in fact security cloud is the only thing now offered when I search Kaspersky free) but it doesn't actually seem to be free at all. On both computers as soon as I signed in it simply complained that I didn't have a licence.
Hello ShanePhillips, Welcome! Just to clarify, when a previous 365 day license of Kaspersky AntiVirus Free ends, the only product available is Kaspersky® Security Cloud – Free. If Kaspersky Customers have a subscription service, for example for KSV/KIS/KTS, that expires, they are offered the option of renewing the subscription OR installing KAV Free, for 365 days. After the 365 days expires, Kaspersky Customers have the option of buying a subscription or installing Kaspersky® Security Cloud – Free. --- I've checked: https://www.kaspersky.co.uk/free-antivirus, it is installing Kaspersky® Security Cloud – Free image 1
  1. When you say, "as soon as I signed in it complained that I didn't have a licence", can you please post an image of this issue please?
  2. Also, please post an image of: Kaspersky Security Cloud Support screen (see my image 2)
image 2 Please post back? Thank you:pray_tone3:

I've worked out what the error was. For some reason I can't fathom I had an old trial sub to Kaspersky cloud personal registered on my account, and instead of activating the free version it was cleverly trying to activate the expired trial. Removing the trial from my account fixed the problem.

I've worked out what the error was. For some reason I can't fathom I had an old trial sub to Kaspersky cloud personal registered on my account, and instead of activating the free version it was cleverly trying to activate the expired trial. Removing the trial from my account fixed the problem.
Hello ShanePhillips, That's super, I'm glad the issue is resolved:clap_tone3: Thanks for letting us know:pray_tone3:

• 1 year later...

So okay… is there *actually* a way to install and activate the free version??
Without waiting for the trial to time out and disable the program?
I don’t need the trial version, I’m not going to buy it, I want the free version.

I have *repeatedly* tried to follow Kaspersky’s instructions for “install the free version”, and every time I end up again with the trial version… I am tired of rerererebooting my machine, I just want this to work… is it even possible???

@Flood and Flood's wife ???😖

Hello @Gorlash

Welcome back!

KSCF MR3 21.3.10.391

Do not install on top of any installed Kaspersky software. 

Do a clean install:

1. Check if the computer meets system requirements?
  2. Check whether any applications installed on the computer are incompatible with KSC?
  3. Close all running applications

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

hi again, @Flood and Flood's wife 

1. I *did* do a completely uninstall, reboot, clean re-install, each time; that’s part of what I meant by continuous reboots.  I *did* install “Kaspersky Security Cloud Free for Windows”, every time, though that is not what I ever end up with… instead, I get “Kaspersky Security Cloud personal”, which expires in two weeks.
1a. One detail that is different; I’ve been selecting ‘California’ rather than ‘Global’ in that pulldown box - because I’m in California.  don’t know if that makes any difference.
2. I reviewed all this incompatible entries; there *is* one issue here; on install, Kaspersky keeps saying “you have to remove this program, can I do so?"… the program is Malwarebytes.  If I say “go ahead and remove it”, the installer says “You need to reboot now”… but after the reboot, it still say Malwarebytes is installed. 
To address this issue, I aborted the install, manually uninstalled Malwarebytes, deleted all of its directories, rebooted, then re-started the Kaspersky install - but it *still* incorrectly says that Malwarebytes is installed.  So I’ve been telling it to skip that.

Okay, for now, I’m going to try installing the Global version instead of California version, and see if I actually end up with the free version or not.  I’ll be back after a couple more reboots.

Okay, @Flood and Flood's wife , let’s keep playing the Kaspersky game.
I downloaded the Global version of the program that you linked to above;
Uninstalled Kaspersky, with all boxes unchecked, rebooted, installed this version, and I get a message saying:
Your security trial expires in 14 days.

So back to the original question: why is it not possible to install the Free version ??

Hello @Gorlash

Thanks for the update👌

Re Cali, the documented advice from Kaspersky is:

Kaspersky created a special version of the application for residents of the U.S. state of California. If you are a resident of the U.S. state of California, you need to download and install the Personal or Family version of the application.”

They don’t mention Free, however, we think it would be the same.

The versions of the application that Kaspersky and our partners distribute in the European Union, the United Kingdom, Brazil (as well as the versions intended to be used by California residents) meet the requirements of the regulations governing the collection and processing of personal data that have been established in these regions.”

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Okay, @Flood and Flood's wife , let’s keep playing the Kaspersky game.
I downloaded the Global version of the program that you linked to above;
Uninstalled Kaspersky, with all boxes unchecked, rebooted, installed this version, and I get a message saying:
Your security trial expires in 14 days.
So back to the original question: why is it not possible to install the Free version ??

Hello @Gorlash

1. In (your) MyKaspersky account, have you disconnected the device that’s associated with the original license?

Please let us know?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

@Flood and Flood's wife 
Okay, I am confident that it simple is *not* possible to install Kaspersky Free on my machine…

I just went through all of the uninstalls again, and I deleted my machine from My Kaspersky account, and I now have no registered machines.  

I then rebooted again, and installed
ks4.021.3.10.391en_es_25349.exe
which is what I get when I download from your link, with ‘California’ selected.

I closed the registration window without completing it, then went to my account at My Kaspersky.
I selected ‘Protect New Device’,
Under ‘Select Protection’, selected Kaspersky Security Cloud
On next window, it shows ‘Personal subscription: trial version’; I will include that window here.
Selecting ‘Other downloads’ does not provide any Windows options.
Clicking on ‘Personal subscription: trial version’ does not provide any options.

Hello @Gorlash

Thanks for the update👌

Just for clarity, that’s a result of our last reply:

Select California

https://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/free-antivirus-download ?

• Why did you close the Registration window without completing it

& why did you then proceed to ‘Protect New Device’, Under ‘Select Protection’, selected Kaspersky Security Cloud...etc”? 

Please let us know?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Hello @Gorlash

Thanks for the update👌

Just for clarity, that’s a result of our last reply:

Select California

https://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/free-antivirus-download ?

• Why did you close the Registration window without completing it

& why did you then proceed to ‘Protect New Device’, Under ‘Select Protection’, selected Kaspersky Security Cloud...etc”? 

Please let us know?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

ummm… did you read my post??  I clearly described what I did, including the steps that you just mentioned… and as I noted in that post, after I selected ‘Kaspersky Security Cloud’, it took me to the page that I included the image of, which shows that it is giving me the Trial edition - like it always does, *NOT* the free edition...

BTW, the reason that I closed the registration window without completing it, is that I already knew that was going to result in me getting registered with the trial version, which is not what I want.

Hello @Gorlash

Umm, yes we did read your post. 

1. You’ve downloaded the Free version.
  2. You’ve installed the Free version.  
  3. How do you think that’s going to work if you don’t enter your email address & sync with your MyKaspersky account? 
  4. BTW, we have *no* idea why you went to “Kaspersky Security Cloud’ in the MyKaspersky account”, that’s not the procedure.

Please let us know?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋