Edge/Brave: Info about Kaspersky protection extension - Phishing, safe money and url advisor [Closed]

Go to solution Solved by Kaspr_us,

In the description page of  Kaspersky protection, it mentions

“The Kaspersky Protection extension ensures operation of the following protection features: - Safe Money – protects your payments by opening sensitive websites in Protected Browser. - Private Browsing – informs you about attempts by websites to collect your data and allows you to block collection. - Kaspersky URL Advisor – marks search results with colored indicators according to the link’s security level. - On-Screen Keyboard – prevents malware from intercepting data entered in website forms. - Anti-Banner – blocks advertising banners on websites. - Dangerous Content Blocking - prevents a website from loading if it is deemed a dangerous or phishing website by Kaspersky.”

I don’t need private browsing, anti-banner i already have extensions for that. I could use Safe Money, keyboard and URL advisor but none seems to work with Brave; and only url advisor works with the new Edge, wich are the browsers i currently use. Furthermore, kaspersky insists in don’t release an extension compatible with Brave and the new Edge despite a lot of users requests...

But i’m worried about protection, as the extensions descriptions mention it is needed to “prevents a website from loading if it is deemed a dangerous or phishing website by Kaspersky”., i’d like to know if using Brave or the New Edge without the extension could impact pishing protection (or any other type of protection) from kaspersky. The extension is REALLY needed for that? 

“bonus”: do you intend to release a compatible extension with Brave? When? I checked you are already testing on with the New Edge, so i’m waiting for that too

Hello @Kaspr_us,

Welcome!

• ➡ Support for Edge Chromium browser, commercially released Jan 15th 2020, is supposed to be coming in patch J.
  • ➡ There is no eta for patch J

The following browsers support installing the Kaspersky Protection extension:

• Mozilla Firefox versions 52.x – 65.x
  • Mozilla Firefox ESR 52.x, 60.x
  • Google Chrome versions 48.x – 72.x
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0, 9.0, 10.0, and 11.0
  • Microsoft Edge Beta Build 77.0.235.25, this is not the latest Edge Chromium commercially released browser. 

⚠ Intenet Explorer 8.0 – 11.0 browser with the new Windows user interface is not supported⚠

🚫 Microsoft Edge Legacy browser is not supported in Windows versions later than Windows 10 1803🚫

✅ For Edge Chromium browser, commercially released 15/01/2020, Kaspersky Security Network (KSN) & the KIS application will provide active protection, without the Kaspersky Protection extension - see image of Eicar Test file accessed in Edge browser, detected & blocked by Kaspersky application:

& video, of same test: 

Link

& KIS Reports (attached) showing detection & actions taken. 

🛑 Brave is not a supported browser, all written communications from the Kaspersky Technical Team state there’s no current plan to support Brave🛑

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello @FLOOD .

Ty for your attention!

I still have some doubts. Could you help with it?

The following browsers support installing the Kaspersky Protection extension:

• Mozilla Firefox versions 52.x – 65.x
  • Mozilla Firefox ESR 52.x, 60.x
  • Google Chrome versions 48.x – 72.x

If i choose to use any of those browsers, without installing the Kaspersky Protection extension; i would certainly not be able to (i) use anti-banner, (ii) on screen keyboard, (iii) safe money, (iv) private browsing and (v)kaspersky url advisor, BUT the protection would be affected in some way? For example, the so called - Dangerous Content Blocking - wouldn’t work and i would be vulnerable to pishing attacks? The same idea would apply for Brave browser as i cant install the extension????

Hello @Kaspr_us,

✅ For Edge Chromium browser, commercially released 15/01/2020, Kaspersky Security Network (KSN) & the KIS application will provide active protection, without the Kaspersky Protection extension -

I noticed that kaspersky anti-banner, url advisor and maybe other things are indeed working with the new Edge without the extension. But this is causing some problems. For example: i entered a site, with Edge, that advised me to disable the addblock (i was not using one with Edge). It took some time till i notice that Kaspersky was the responsible. I could confirm it, by checking the log reports of the anti-banner function, and noticing it was blocking ads in Edge. This is a problem, cause there isn’t an easy way to disable kaspersky antibanner for specific sites in Edge.

Tyvm for the help!

Hello @Kaspr_us

You’e very welcome👌 !

• Regarding: “the protection would be affected in some way, e.g. Dangerous Content Blocking - wouldn’t work?”

1 Please provide actual examples, “using x browser, I went to y site, selected z link & or searched for yy”, so I can test the issue? 

• Regarding: “i entered a site, with Edge, that advised me to disable the addblock (i was not using one with Edge)

2 Which site?

• Regarding: “I confirmed it, by checking the log reports of the anti-banner function, and noticing it was blocking ads in Edge

3 Export the KIS, All Events, 24hr Report, save as a .txt file, attach to your reply please? 

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

• Solution

1 Please provide actual examples, “using x browser, I went to y site, selected z link & or searched for yy”, so I can test the issue? 

My concern is more in a general way than a specific case. If i’m using Brave/Edge/Chrome without Kaspersky Protection extension, and enter a pishing site, than kaspersky would still be able to block the page content from being loaded? To make myself clear,  I made a few tests that results seems to be a lot contradictory with the description  of the kaspersky extension:“Dangerous Content Blocking - prevents a website from loading if it is deemed a dangerous or phishing website by Kaspersky.” 

For example: this teste page: https://www.amtso.org/check-desktop-phishing-page/

Accessed from Edge (with smartscreen off) with no extension: it IS blocked by Kaspersky 

Accessed from Brave with no extension: it is NOT blocked by Kaspersky 

Accessed from Chrome with no extension: it IS blocked, even without the extension

As you can see, the results make no sense. If the kaspersky protection extension is needed to block pishing sites, as it claims, them neither Chrome or Edge should be able block the page with no extension (but they are, as you can see). On the other hand, if the extension is not needed (as it seems), them Brave should block it just like Edge and Chrome, wich didn’t happen!!!!!

From what i can tell, kaspersky doesn’t need that extension to protect from pishing sites, and so the description on the official page is wrong! Besides that it is very strange that kaspersky block pishing pages from Chrome and Edge without the extension, but not from Brave, considering they are all covered by the same desktop kaspersky internet security suit. Furthermore, Brave, Edge and Chrome are all chromium based browsers!

2 Which site?

3Export the KIS, All Events24hr Report, save as a .txt file, attach to your reply please? 

I entered the site a few days ago, so i don’t remeber wich one exactly. I’ll try to find another one later. I wont attach the .txt file cause it would show almost every single paged it blocked in the last 24h, what i consider an invasion of privacy. But you can easily reproduce the conditions.

1. Activate antibanner in KIS suite
  2. Visit some sites with new Edge
  3. Check the antibanner log

Well, but i still had no answer for my question...

“My concern is more in a general way than a specific case. If i’m using Brave/Edge/Chrome without Kaspersky Protection extension, and enter a pishing site, than kaspersky would still be able to block the page content from being loaded?”

Brave was only part of the problem. I want to know specifically about the extension! What is the purpose of the extension, considering the results i showed you??? Even without the extension, kaspersky seems to work perfectly with Chrome and Edge. So why the hell the extension description page say it is needed to block pishing sites??

Hello @Kaspr_us,

Thank you for replying👍

• Regarding “Without the extension, Kaspersky seems to work perfectly with Chrome and Edge”, please read my 1st reply. 
  • For all issues, excluding Brave, please contact Kaspersky Technical Support. 
  • The Kaspersky Community cannot provide you with a resolution.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳