Does KIS use current windows firewall rules after install? [Closed]

Go to solution Solved by naber31,

Hello all. I want to buy KIS but I want to know if KIS will use my current windows firewall rules after installing or bypass/delete/ignore them? This is so important for me cause I have so many shady exes in my computer that I blocked their access to internet by windows firewall. If KIS deletes or ignores them, is there a way to copy them into KIS's internet ruleset?

Hello Naber31, Welcome! Can you please operating system, version & build? Where have you configured the rules you'd like to maintain, using what firewall app or tool? Generically, you can configure KIS firewall, however, if we have more specific info we can give more specific guidance. Please let us know? Thanks! Some starting documentation: https://help.kaspersky.com/KIS/2019/en-US/68173.htm

Hello FLOOD Flood thanks for your attention. My OS is Windows 10 latest version. I created my rules manually by windows defender->outbound rules->block specific exe's internet access. I need them to be blocked after KIS installed. Does KIS use those rules, if not can I import them into KIS?

Hello Naber31, Thanks for posting back and the information. Would you mind giving me an example of a object you have blocked so I can test please? Also, please read: https://help.kaspersky.com/KIS/2019/en-US/70910.htm https://help.kaspersky.com/KIS/2019/en-US/68173.htm And, may I ask, just so we fully understand, "so many shady exes in my computer", if these objects are so concerning, why keep them on your computer? Please let us know? Thank you. Note, Berny is correct, no option to import, however, KIS is configurable.

Berny Thanks for the heads up FLOOD I have some torrented games that I don't fully trust their network activities. So I had to block them before running them. Sorry that I can't give you a specific example for legal reasons. Thing is I have bunch of them so I need to know; does KIS start with a new blank page of rules or does it copy anything from existing ruleset? Berny said I can't import, that's okay, so I need to manually enter the old rules to KIS if it does start with a blank page?

Hello Naber31, Thanks for posting back. It's fine if you are unable to provide object names. Not a problem. KIS does not start with a blank page, however, it is configurable. What you could do is install KIS as a trial product, configure the rules you currently have in Windows Defender and trial the efficacy of KIS. Best regards.

FLOOD Thanks again. I've checked some infos and videos and as far as I've seen, KIS wants the product installed and executed before it recognizes and registers them onto its firewall rules. This however too risky for me as I can't start those programs at all, I need to block them before starting them. How can I add files or folders one by one manually like we do in windows defender?

Hello Naber31, It would be helpful if you share the links for the infos and videos you've referenced please? If I was doing what you wish to do I'd start Windows in safe mode with networking, install KIS, configue the rules currently configured in Windows Defender, reboot device to normal mode, test if KIS works as you require. Testing the software is going to clarify for you if the solution is suitable. Another reference doc: https://support.kaspersky.com/14314 (block 1 thru to block 4) Thanks.

• Solution
FLOOD I can't manually select files or folders via Application Control or Firewall (manage applications/configure application rules). How to make KIS scan installed applications? edit: Now I've accidentally found that I can add applications manually by right clicking on low/high/untrusted lines. I think this could be it. Funny no guide shows this method.

Hello Naber31, Please share the links for the infos and videos you've referenced please? ------------------------- Re: "How to make KIS scan installed applications?" Vulnerability scan. ------------------------- Re "manually select files or folders via Application Control or Firewall (manage applications/configure application rules). When I look at my Kaspersky software, EVERY installed application is listed: Manage Applications, inherit, allow, prompt for action, deny & log events. Manage Resources, Read, Write, Create, Delete > inherit, allow, prompt for action, deny & log events. Firewall, Configure Application Rules > inherit, allow, prompt for action, deny & log events. ------------------------- More documentation: https://help.kaspersky.com/KIS/2019/en-US/82507.htm ------------------------- Note, in Kaspersky application, wherever there's a ?, clicking the ? will open KIS help documentation for the specific module. Thanks

FLOOD The guides were all official, like those ones you've linked. I've couldn't come across a solution there but I accidentally found it so no problem. The thing is guides never mention the "right click column to add" method (or so I've missed) which is exactly like windows defender but with more options and you can add multiple files at once! So easy this way! After scan KIS recognized the programs, thanks for the heads up. Thanks for your urgent attention and help, much appreciated FLOOD . Have a nice day, kind regards.

Thank you Naber31. We're always happy if you're happy, experiment with the software and always feel free to ask, there's always someone in the Community willing to help.
  1. Note, if you do decide to use any Kaspersky software and you do need help from Kaspersky Tech Support or Kaspersky Community, always provide:
  1. Operating system, version, build.
  2. Kaspersky software, name, version, patch#
  3. Specific details of the issue requiring support.
  4. Screen prints
  5. Kaspersky REPORTS
Thanks!