Does Kaspersky detect RATs and other malware that remote control your computer?

BigHotStud
Go to solution Solved by Igor Kurzin,

I recently learned about RATs and I’ve been super paranoid about having one. I heard they’re mainly detected by signatures, but what if the signature is unrecognized or changes it? Does Heuristic Analysis pick it up?

I’ve seen my PC behaving weird, but I’ve pushed the mouse stuff to being just a hardware failure. I’ve, recently, noticed some problems with my keyboard. Mainly, cameras switching while playing the game Rainbow Six: Siege or, today, some spaces, 0s and dots while typing in google docs (granted, it could’ve been me accidentally putting my hand on the keyboard).

By the way, I use KSC Free.

• Solution

Hi @BigHotStud , 

Relying solely on signatures is not the Kaspersky approach. That’s exactly the reason why there is System Watcher, Application Control, Firewall and Network Attack Blocker: to form a complex multilayer security solution, to prevent RATs and other types of malware.

Please note, that security must include a wider range of measures: using strong passwords, disabling Remote Access to the PC, correctly configuring local wi-fi and router (how to secure your router and wi-fi network: 
https://support.kaspersky.com/common/windows/12779), do not open suspicious links, etc.

Hi @BigHotStud , 

Relying solely on signatures is not the Kaspersky approach. That’s exactly the reason why there is System Watcher, Application Control, Firewall and Network Attack Blocker: to form a complex multilayer security solution, to prevent RATs and other types of malware.

Please note, that security must include a wider range of measures: using strong passwords, disabling Remote Access to the PC, correctly configuring local wi-fi and router (how to secure your router and wi-fi network: 
https://support.kaspersky.com/common/windows/12779), do not open suspicious links, etc.

I’ve never installed a Remote Access PC app myself, so if any are installed they’re most likely PuPs or Malware, which, I assume, Kaspersky would detect. My passwords are pretty good and I have 2FA enabled on everything that supports it. Thanks for the info, by the way.

Some versions of Windows (Windows Pro, for example) have built in remote access capabilities. You can google for ‘how to disable remote access on windows 10’, to find out how to disable (if it is applicable to your version of operating system). 

Having 2FA enabled is a wise strategy, totally support your decision.

Some versions of Windows (Windows Pro, for example) have built in remote access capabilities. You can google for ‘how to disable remote access on windows 10’, to find out how to disable (if it is applicable to your version of operating system). 

Having 2FA enabled is a wise strategy, totally support your decision.

I am using Windows 10 Pro, so it does have that feature, but it is disabled and, as far as I know, I’ve never enabled it.

@BigHotStud

Thanks for posting back!

As well as the advice from @Igor Kurzin, also make sure the following are unchecked:

[1] Allow managing Kaspersky Security Cloud settings via remote control applications 

If this check box is selected, trusted remote administration applications (such as TeamViewer, LogMeIn Pro and Remotely Anywhere) can change Kaspersky Security Cloud settings.

Untrusted remote control applications will not be allowed to change Kaspersky Security Cloud settings, even when the check box is selected.

[2] Enable external service control.

Our image is from KTS, KSC has the same options. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @BigHotStud , 

Hey, sorry for going back to an old threat, but what if I don’t have premium? Do I only have System Watcher and Network Attack Blocker then?

Hi @BigHotStud , 

Sorry what is "application control"?
Is it essential for the protection of behavioral analysis? In the free version this function is not active.