DNS Client high CPU usage

rraffo

Hi everyone,

a "DNS Client" high CPU usage has persecuted me for a long time.

Today I've started to analyze the behavior and the origin of this problem.

I've found that the problem occurs every 2:30 minutes and lasts for 30 seconds. 

With the help of the DNSQuerySniffer from Nirsoft I have checked the DNS Client request performed by my PC and I have found that every 2:30 minutes almost 90 DNS requests are generated by Kaspersky.

This is just a sample of what I've collected:

image.thumb.png.41eed9fee5bf81cf4dd428dc186903a4.png

I initially pointed my finger at KSN service but by disabling it the problem doesn't disappear. Even setting the Update service to "manual" didn't improve the situation.

Closing Kaspersky by exiting the application interrupts the generation of the DNS requests but of course, it can't be a solution.

I use Kaspersky Security Cloud - Free version 21.8.5.452(c) on a Windows 10 Enterprise 

Does someone know how to fix this problem?

Hello @rraffo

Welcome!

1. Tell us the Windows OS version & build https://support.kaspersky.com/common/diagnostics/15026
  2. Update Kaspersky Security Cloud – Free to version 21.3.10.391 https://www.kaspersky.com/free-antivirus - by doing a clean install, uninstall 21.8.5.452(c), do not check any check boxes *except Save License information*, leave all other check boxes empty/blank.

Thank you?
Flood?+?

• Thanks 1

This is

Edition    Windows 10 Enterprise
Version    22H2
Installed on    ‎27/‎12/‎2020
OS build    19045.2604
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Are you apparently asking me to downgrade the Kaspersky version from 21.8.5.452(c) to version 21.3.10.391?

Could you explain this passage?

Thanks

• Thanks 1

Hello @rraffo

Thank you for posting back & the information. 

1. On the Windows taskbar or hidden icons, right click the Kaspersky icon, select About - post a full screen-screenshot of the About screen please? 
  2. Which Region are you in? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
Added Q 2.

Hello @rraffo,

You're most welcome!

Thank you for the images!

It appears as tho originally Kaspersky Security Cloud - Free (Kaspersky's old software range), was installed, that's since updated to Kaspersky's new software range Kaspersky Free, as shown in the About screen, the next release for Kaspersky Free will be version 21.9.6.465

Version updates are rolled out in staggered distributions, 21.9.6.465 distribution has already begun, we recommend you wait for the update to arrive & recheck the issue when the Kaspersky Free application has updated. 

Version & patch updates are applied when the computer is rebooted. 

Unfortunately, we're unable to advise a date for the distribution to Italy; we recommend you do a weekly shut down of the computer using Shutdown, not Restart, then power on by pressing the power button, login, check the Kaspersky Free version & recheck the issue? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
Modified 1st paragraph
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm back with good and bad news.

The good news is that I've received the update to the new Kaspersky Free 21.9.6.465 version.

The bad news is that the strange DNS client behavior is still there and the new version didn't solve it.

Nothing has been changed.

Any idea?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...