C:\Windows.old\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.IE5, not processed, access denied.

Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

Recently, I did a full scan of my laptop. I found this “C:\Windows.old\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.IE5” 

Could anyone possibly tell me what this is, and whether it’s malicious? I’m on Windows 11, and on a HP laptop. 

Event: Object not processed
User type: Active user
Component: Virus Scan
Result: Not processed
Result description: Not processed
Object type: File
Object path: C:\Windows.old\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.IE5
Reason: Access denied

Could anyone help me?

Recently, I did a full scan of my laptop. I found this “C:\Windows.old\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.IE5” 

Could anyone possibly tell me what this is, and whether it’s malicious? I’m on Windows 11, and on a HP laptop.

Hello @TheFutureNoob

Welcome!

💥 The object appears to be an *old* Windows 10 Internet Explorer Content.IE5 folder (for temporary/cachefiles); not normally accessible via normal file access means💥

1. Which KTS version & patch(x) is installed, on the Windows Taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select About
  2. When was the computer updated from Win 10 to 11? 
  3. Have all Windows 11 patches been applied? 
  4. Since the update, has a Windows Disk cleanup been run? 
  5. Have the KTS Clean & Optimize tools been run: PC CleanerCleaning up unused data, Privacy cleaner
  6. Read How to remove a virus from Windows PC, computer virus scan, preventing infection of the device

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

1. Clicked about on the launcher and got “21.3.10.391 (g) Not sure if this is answering your question, sorry.
  2. I got this laptop on new years day, and updated on January 2nd. (2022)
  3. Yes, I believe so.
  4. No, so far a disk cleanup has not been run. I’m fairly new to laptops and currently don’t know how to do that. Sorry, any help would be appreciated.
  5. No, I currently do not have access to PC cleaner, I cannot find Cleaning up unused data, and I just did a privacy check.

6. Much help would be appreciated, and many thanks in advance. I’m very sorry for my cluelessness, as I’m only 13. Thanks a lot.

• Solution

Hello @TheFutureNoob

Thank you so much for the information & Happy New Year🐣 !

• We don’t see any ‘cluelessness’ at all, take your time, read everything carefully; if you get stuck, read again, write down any questions & ask!

First, try not to worry, (ioo), the ‘access denied’ is normal, the file/object appears to be an old cache file from the system - Windows (old) that (your) system created when the update to Windows 11 was done. 

Please do the following:

1. ⚠ Create a System Restore Point
  2. 💥 Change to Safe Mode💥
  3. Copy the folder: C:\Windows.old\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.IE5 to the desktop
  4. Change back to normal windows mode
  5. Scan the Content.IE5 object (that’s been saved on the desktop) using Kaspersky’s Threat Intelligence Portal
  6.  ⚠Save / Export ALL Bookmarks for  ALL browsers
  7. Run Windows: delete temporary files and folders
  8. Run KTS PC Cleaner.  
  9. Run KTS Unused Data Cleaner
  10. Run KTS Privacy Cleaner

11. Read & follow @richbuff’s guide: Kaspersky notification of detection, file or website detected
  12. Reboot the machine using Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login.
  13. Run a KTS Database update, allow it to complete. 
  14. Run a KTS Full scan, allow it to complete
  15. IF the Full scan is clean, delete the Content.IE5 object from the desktop & let us know please? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

but how could I possibly find the file?

Hello @TheFutureNoob

Thank you for the good New Year Wishes!

• When (you’re) in Safe Mode, using Windows Explorer, go to the Object path that’s shown in the KTS Report. 
  • TIP: SAVE the KTS Scan report to (your) Desktop, so it’s easy for you to copy the path to Windows Explorer, when the system is running in Safe Mode

• ☢ In Windows normal mode, the file is not accessible, that’s where the ‘access denied’ comes from☢

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello! Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been in class. I can’t seem to find the file still? I’m on safe mode, and I’ve been searching up the file in file explorer. Any help would be appreciated. Yes I know I’m pretty bad at this.

Edit:Figured out how to find the file but it says Access Denied

Edit 2: Figured it out, and it’s now on desktop.