Computer gets really slow - unable to work while full scan is running

I am doing photo editing in multiple photo editing programs at once. I have experienced that all the browsers and all applications crashes while full scan is running. Therefore, i have to quit the KIS to work with my applications. Is this a bug in the system? I haven't experienced this much crashing in previous KIS systems.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same problem which only seems to have happened over the past month or two. I need a setting to run full scans as a background task. At the moment when I check Kaspersky in Task Manager whilst it is running a Full Scan then both Power Usage & Power Usage Trend are showing very high but strangely CPU & Disk usage are not maxed out. Another point which might be relevant is that Win10 Task Manager shows Kaspersky Anti-Virus (32 bit) - I have a 64 bit machine is this correct?

I have the same problem which only seems to have happened over the past month or two. I need a setting to run full scans as a background task. At the moment when I check Kaspersky in Task Manager whilst it is running a Full Scan then both Power Usage & Power Usage Trend are showing very high but strangely CPU & Disk usage are not maxed out. Another point which might be relevant is that Win10 Task Manager shows Kaspersky Anti-Virus (32 bit) - I have a 64 bit machine is this correct?
In addition to what the others have said, you can always run the Full Scan manually, at a time that suits you rather than scheduling it. Kaspersky is 32 bit, but is designed to run on 64 bit machines.

• 1 year later...

Hello @The Engineer 
Was your problem solved in the latest version? Please let's know this situation.
If the problem has solved or fixed, Please mark best answer to the post which could help you solved the problem, We are grateful to invite you to do this.
If the problem hasn't gone, Please let me know, Thanks!
Best regards.

Hello @Wesly.Zhang  After a few months this problem has reduced a little in severity BUT I still find that I have to stop the Full Scan far too often [it is scheduled to run once a week].  As it stands the full scan will take the best part of a day to run and I’m afraid that this is unacceptable given that it makes using the PC time consuming.  I don’t really mind how long the Full Scan takes [within reason] but I MUST be able to use my PC whilst it is doing so.  I repeat what I said over a year ago - we need a user setting which allows/forces Kaspersky to run in the background without consuming disproportionate resources.

@Fenderman Thank you for your suggestion to manually run the scan but this isn’t really the point - I expect this type of utility software to run in the background I don’t want to remember to manually run it because to be honest I would just forget.

Hello @The Engineer

• What Performance settings have been configured?
  • What Full scan > Advanced settings have been configured?
  • & a heads-up, requesting assistance, without providing data, is equivalent to removing a cane, a seeing eye dog and all other aids from a blind person, then asking him to help you get home, to your home, where he’s never been. 

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello @Wesly.Zhang  After a few months this problem has reduced a little in severity BUT I still find that I have to stop the Full Scan far too often [it is scheduled to run once a week].  As it stands the full scan will take the best part of a day to run and I’m afraid that this is unacceptable given that it makes using the PC time consuming.  I don’t really mind how long the Full Scan takes [within reason] but I MUST be able to use my PC whilst it is doing so.  I repeat what I said over a year ago - we need a user setting which allows/forces Kaspersky to run in the background without consuming disproportionate resources.

@Fenderman Thank you for your suggestion to manually run the scan but this isn’t really the point - I expect this type of utility software to run in the background I don’t want to remember to manually run it because to be honest I would just forget.

Hello,

If there is a large number of large-capacity compressed files such as zip,rar,iso,cab,7z,tar files or packered files such as some vm packer existed in your PC. The scan enginne will load plently system memory resource to decompress them. So scan speed and system reaction will more slow if your PC doesn’t have spare CPU usage and memory. On the other hand, if you also enable another av product such as malwarebyte and windows defender etc, Their scan engine also will scan file when KL product scan file, So it is not necessarily Kaspersky products that cause the system to run slowly.

I now want to investigate whether the problem can be solved with this setting. Please set exclude rule for *.zip,*.rar,*.iso,*.cab,*.7z,*.tar. Let me know whether this solution will work or not.

Regards.

Hello @FLOOD 

Thank you for your helpful comments and here are my responses:

1. Performance Settings - .  This is set to “High Performance”.
  2. Full Scan Advanced Settings:  I have attached screen shots of all the settings in the PDF.  Note after looking at these settings I have now opted to scan only new and changes files.  However, I’ve set this running expecting Kaspersky to scan only a few hundred files as I’d previously carried out a Full Scan only a couple of hours previously - not so!  2,836,412 files were scanned and took 2hrs 52mins  and I simply do not believe that these were all either new or changed.  I know having seen those being scanned that many were neither new nor have been changed today.  So another problem - Kaspersky is not identifying new & changed files correctly. As an aside the time remaining indicator is wildly inaccurate “less than a minute left … “ and 30 minutes later still say the same thing.  Now I know that these by their very nature cannot be accurate BUT this is setting false expectations - better to stick to the xx% completed only.
  3. Blind Person:  I’m not blind ☺  - the first 2 point were all that were needed.

Further information - I ran the full scan overnight and it took 3hrs 35min to complete the scan of 4,259,844 files.  I’ve checked back through the logs [which as far as I can see go back only 30 days] and the only other Full Scan to run through to completion took 3hrs 27mins.  I cancelled the other scans because they were interfering with my work.

Hello,

If there is a large number of large-capacity compressed files such as zip,rar,iso,cab,7z,tar files or packered files such as some vm packer existed in your PC. The scan enginne will load plently system memory resource to decompress them. So scan speed and system reaction will more slow if your PC doesn’t have spare CPU usage and memory. On the other hand, if you also enable another av product such as malwarebyte and windows defender etc, Their scan engine also will scan file when KL product scan file, So it is not necessarily Kaspersky products that cause the system to run slowly.

I now want to investigate whether the problem can be solved with this setting. Please set exclude rule for *.zip,*.rar,*.iso,*.cab,*.7z,*.tar. Let me know whether this solution will work or not.

Hello ​​​​​​@Wesly.Zhang 

Thank you for your note. I have set the exclusions you have recommended and will run the scan tonight together with the option to “scan only new & changed files”. but also see my response to @FLOOD above.

Overall I’m not sure that your suggestion would be a long term solution as there could be nasties lurking in future compressed files.  however, if this helps to track down the problem then all well and good.

One further thing to note is that I have Google Drive File Stream installed and this morning it probably took 30 minutes to scan that drive alone - I suspect Kaspersky is downloading every single file to scan it - it should not have done if the  “scan only new & changed files” option was working correctly.

Thank you very much for your help.

Hello @The Engineer,

You’re most welcome☺ !

Thank you for replying, the further information, your analysis & commentary🤔

Re 😎 , not you, us🙂 , we’re often asked to assist, but data is not provided, the majority of us are not seers. 

• Re Performance Settings, not Windows, Kaspersky, open Kaspersky application, select Settings⚙ , select Performance - choose options to suit your requirements.
  • Re Scan, new & changed, good, had that not been selected, it was what we would have recommended. 
  • Have you scheduled the Full Scan to run at a time when it will have the least opportunity to interfere with your work? See image 1 as an example.

Image 1

• ➡ Re the scan discrepancies, try:
  • 1Exporting Kaspersky Settings - see video.
  • 2Restore Kaspersky Settings - see video.
  • 3 Shutdown device using Full shutdown, not Restart.
  • 4 Power device on, login.
  • 5 Start Kaspersky application.
  • 6Import Kaspersky Settings - see video. 
  • 7 Manually run a Full scan.
  • 8 Check Full scan results?
  • 9 Monitor original Scan issue? 
  • 🔟 Let us know the outcome please? 
Link

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello,

I now want to investigate whether the problem can be solved with this setting. Please set exclude rule for *.zip,*.rar,*.iso,*.cab,*.7z,*.tar. Let me know whether this solution will work or not.

Hello ​​​​​​@Wesly.Zhang 

Thank you for your note. I have set the exclusions you have recommended and will run the scan tonight together with the option to “scan only new & changed files”. but also see my response to @FLOOD above.

Overall I’m not sure that your suggestion would be a long term solution as there could be nasties lurking in future compressed files.  however, if this helps to track down the problem then all well and good.

One further thing to note is that I have Google Drive File Stream installed and this morning it probably took 30 minutes to scan that drive alone - I suspect Kaspersky is downloading every single file to scan it - it should not have done if the  “scan only new & changed files” option was working correctly.

Hello @The Engineer 

If you want to prohibit avp scaning google driver, You also exclude its folder in Exclusion with no scan. 

Another answer for “scan only new & changed files”. You should know the reference object to the word. ‘ scan only new & changed files compare to what reference object ’ This help document explain how ‘scan only new & changed files’ work.

Scan only new and changed files

This check box enables / disables the scanning only of new files and those files that have changed since the last time they were scanned. This scan mode applies both to simple and compound files.

Now A question has rasied. How does product know the time when scaned some files changed? The answer is ichecker and iswift technology.

Let us see the time Expiration date of these technology.

iSwift Technology

This technology is a development of the iChecker technology for computers using the NTFS file system.

There are limitations to iSwift Technology: it is bound to a specific file's location in the file system and works only with objects in the NTFS file system.

iChecker Technology

This technology allows increasing scan speed by excluding certain files from scanning. Files are excluded from the scan using a special algorithm that takes into account the release date of Kaspersky Internet Security databases, the date when the file was scanned last, and any changes made to the scan settings.

There are limitations to iChecker Technology: it does not work with large files and applies only to files with a structure that the application recognizes (for example, EXE, DLL, LNK, TTF, INF, SYS, COM, CHM, ZIP, and RAR).

As you see, ichecker -- the basis for icheck to determine whether a file has changed is that in the same threat database version. When scanning the same file multiple times, it determines that the file has not changed, but once you perform the update and update the threat database version, icheck will deny before it was determined, it began to re-scan the same file.

If you use NTFS file system, iswift technology will work. If iswift is a development of the iChecker technology, Does the icherker limitation also take effect on iswift? Support article don’t tell us, but  As I test serval years, It has inheritance. So you may see so many ‘scaned and un-changed’ file still be scaned. This is the reason for that.

English is not my native language, So if you don’t understand what I said in some place, Please let me know.

Best regards.

Hello @The Engineer,

You’re most welcome☺ !

Re 😎 , not you, us🙂 , we’re often asked to assist, but data is not provided, the majority of us are not seers. 

• Re Performance Settings, not Windows, Kaspersky, open Kaspersky application, select Settings⚙ , select Performance - choose options to suit your requirements.
  • Re Scan, new & changed, good, had that not been selected, it was what we would have recommended. 
  • Have you scheduled the Full Scan to run at a time when it will have the least opportunity to interfere with your work? See image 1 as an example.

Image 1

Link

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello @FLOOD 

Thank you for your prompt response.  I have checked my performance settings as shown below - these haven’t changed;

in addition I’ve activated “Pause File Anti-virus” for Photoshop, Adobe Bridge & Light Room”.

I’ve also got as far as step 6 in your list above and will manually start the scan this evening.

Thank you once again for your help.

Hello,

Hello ​​​​​​@Wesly.Zhang 

Thank you for your note. I have set the exclusions you have recommended and will run the scan tonight together with the option to “scan only new & changed files”. but also see my response to @FLOOD above.

Hello @The Engineer 

If you want to prohibit avp scaning google driver, You also exclude its folder in Exclusion with no scan. 

Another answer for “scan only new & changed files”. You should know the reference object to the word. ‘ scan only new & changed files compare to what reference object ’ This help document explain how ‘scan only new & changed files’ work.

This check box enables / disables the scanning only of new files and those files that have changed since the last time they were scanned. This scan mode applies both to simple and compound files.

Now A question has rasied. How does product know the time when scaned some files changed? The answer is ichecker and iswift technology.

iSwift Technology

This technology is a development of the iChecker technology for computers using the NTFS file system.

There are limitations to iSwift Technology: it is bound to a specific file's location in the file system and works only with objects in the NTFS file system.

iChecker Technology

This technology allows increasing scan speed by excluding certain files from scanning. Files are excluded from the scan using a special algorithm that takes into account the release date of Kaspersky Internet Security databases, the date when the file was scanned last, and any changes made to the scan settings.

There are limitations to iChecker Technology: it does not work with large files and applies only to files with a structure that the application recognizes (for example, EXE, DLL, LNK, TTF, INF, SYS, COM, CHM, ZIP, and RAR).

As you see, ichecker -- the basis for icheck to determine whether a file has changed is that in the same threat database version. When scanning the same file multiple times, it determines that the file has not changed, but once you perform the update and update the threat database version, icheck will deny before it was determined, it began to re-scan the same file.

If you use NTFS file system, iswift technology will work. If iswift is a development of the iChecker technology, Does the icherker limitation also take effect on iswift? Support article don’t tell us, but  As I test serval years, It has inheritance. So you may see so many ‘scaned and un-changed’ file still be scaned. This is the reason for that.

English is not my native language, So if you don’t understand what I said in some place, Please let me know.

Best regards.

Hello @Wesly.Zhang 

thank you for your prompt response and for your good english.  I can confirm the I have the NTFS file system on my PC.  From what you say it seems that whenever the threat database is updated [in my case it is set to Automatic so it appears to update every hour] then Kaspersky ignores most unchanged/new flags and scans almost everything again.  I may exclude Google Drive File Stream in the future but I am reluctant to do any sorts of exclusions because that’s where problems could occur. As noted in my reply to @FLOOD I will run a manual Full Scan this evening.  

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Hello,

Hello ​​​​​​@Wesly.Zhang 

Hello @The Engineer 

iSwift Technology

iChecker Technology

Best regards.

Hello @Wesly.Zhang 

thank you for your prompt response and for your good english.  I can confirm the I have the NTFS file system on my PC.  From what you say it seems that whenever the threat database is updated [in my case it is set to Automatic so it appears to update every hour] then Kaspersky ignores most unchanged/new flags and scans almost everything again.  I may exclude Google Drive File Stream in the future but I am reluctant to do any sorts of exclusions because that’s where problems could occur. As noted in my reply to @FLOOD I will run a manual Full Scan this evening.  

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Hello @The Engineer,

You’re most welcome☺ !

Image 1

Link

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello @FLOOD 

Thank you for your prompt response.  I have checked my performance settings as shown below - these haven’t changed;

in addition I’ve activated “Pause File Anti-virus” for Photoshop, Adobe Bridge & Light Room”.

I’ve also got as far as step 6 in your list above and will manually start the scan this evening.

Hello @FLOOD 

Another full scan run tonight with changes as suggested by you and @Wesly.Zhang .  No other programs were running. It took 2hrs 22mins to scan 2,814,584 files. The release date of the databases used for the scan was 05/05//2020 16:06 and the completion date time [BST] was 05/05/2020 22:09. The database has since been updated.

I’ve now completed steps 7 & 8 of the process set out above.  I will now monitor for the original scan issue but my expectation is that I won’t experience the issue as I’ve activated “Pause File Anti-virus” for Photoshop, Adobe Bridge & Light Room”.

Kind regards

• 1 month later...

Hello @FLOOD and @Wesly.Zhang 

A final update.  The bottom line here to mitigate against the issues I’ve had is to do the 2 following things:

• Schedule your full scan to run at a time when you’re not using your PC [in my case overnight].  It means you have to leave the machine switched on but that is a small price to pay to stop the interference with everyday work.
  • Activate “pause file anti-virus” for those applications that are badly affected by Kaspersky running scans - but do keep this to the absolute minimum.

By doing these 2 things I’ve largely eliminated the problems I had.  Since then I’ve commissioned a brand new powerful high end photo editing PC and haven’t encountered any problems [but I’ve still activated “pause file anti-virus”].

Kind regards

Hello,

If you want to solve performance issue with KIS. You should do the following step to provider some OS environment to us. Let us know which information will need your attention.

Run all your application which occur performance issue with KIS.

Run GSI: KIS main GUI → Support → Support Tools → Sent report to kaspersky support → confirm check ‘system information’ → Save report…. → Attach report to here.

Regards.

Hello,

If you want to solve performance issue with KIS. You should do the following step to provider some OS environment to us. Let us know which information will need your attention.

Run all your application which occur performance issue with KIS.

Run GSI: KIS main GUI → Support → Support Tools → Sent report to kaspersky support → confirm check ‘system information’ → Save report…. → Attach report to here.

Regards.

Hello @Wesly.Zhang 

this site sometimes really annoys me - from my point of view the UI is not particularly intuitive and that’s why (quite rightly) you posted as you did!  I thought I was responding to a previous thread but obviously not.  If you use this site frequently you will know to click on the “Quote” link to add to a thread.  I’ll now go and do that so my previous comments make sense!

Kind regards

Hello @The Engineer,

You’re most welcome☺ !

Image 1

Link

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello @FLOOD 

Hello @FLOOD 

Another full scan run tonight with changes as suggested by you and @Wesly.Zhang .  No other programs were running. It took 2hrs 22mins to scan 2,814,584 files. The release date of the databases used for the scan was 05/05//2020 16:06 and the completion date time [BST] was 05/05/2020 22:09. The database has since been updated.

I’ve now completed steps 7 & 8 of the process set out above.  I will now monitor for the original scan issue but my expectation is that I won’t experience the issue as I’ve activated “Pause File Anti-virus” for Photoshop, Adobe Bridge & Light Room”.

Kind regards

Hello @FLOOD and @Wesly.Zhang 

A final update.  The bottom line here to mitigate against the issues I’ve had is to do the 2 following things:

• Schedule your full scan to run at a time when you’re not using your PC [in my case overnight].  It means you have to leave the machine switched on but that is a small price to pay to stop the interference with everyday work.
  • Activate “pause file anti-virus” for those applications that are badly affected by Kaspersky running scans - but do keep this to the absolute minimum.

By doing these 2 things I’ve largely eliminated the problems I had.  Since then I’ve commissioned a brand new high end photo editing PC and haven’t encountered any problems [but I’ve still activated “pause file anti-virus”].

Kind regards

• 10 months later...

Hello @The Engineer,

You’re most welcome☺ !

Image 1

Link

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello @FLOOD 

I also use Lightroom for photo editing, a similar issue happened to me right now