Certificate error when Thunderbird accesses my mail server. How to add to trusted?

I just installed Kaspersky Internet Security. When Thunderbird accesses my email server, I get a certificate error. Kaspersky allows me to override the error by clicking on two different popups, but how can I add my mail server to Kaspersky’s trusted email servers? I don’t want to have to clear two errors every time Thunderbird checks my email.

I just installed Kaspersky Internet Security. When Thunderbird accesses my email server, I get a certificate error. Kaspersky allows me to override the error by clicking on two different popups, but how can I add my mail server to Kaspersky’s trusted email servers? I don’t want to have to clear two errors every time Thunderbird checks my email.

Hello @wthalliii

Welcome!

Please read similar topic raised by @alexsunny123 - Thunderbird errors about the unauthorized domains, asking for permission to allow mail of custom domains. & answered by Moderator @Berny

If the suggested solution does not work please post back, including the system OS  & build, the KIS version & patch, the Thunderbird version & screen images of the alerts - use tutorial Read before you create a new topic! by @Danila T., as a guide.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Hi Flood and Berny,  Can I just check - is it no longer necessary to import Kaspersky’s certificate into the Thunderbird programs certificate store (or is that a compltely different thing).

Genuine question - not creating mischeif :-)

That did not work. Here’s the message I’m getting:

I added imap.billhall.net  and billhall.net to the trusted addresses per the instructions, and I’m still getting the message. 

I’m running Windows 10 home 64 bit ver 20H2 Build 19042.1083

KIS version is 21.3.10.391 (d)

Database release date: Yesterday, 6:22 AM

Thunderbird is version 78.11.0 (32-bit)

That will be a yes to the certificate then :-)   You’re welcome.

Hello @smipx, Paul.

Welcome back again!

If everyone who posted a topic followed the tutorial Read before you create a new topic! by @Danila T. or we had 🔮 s , every topic in the Community portal would have a solved/answered status. 

Thank you btw!

Flood🐳 +🐋

In answer to the suggestion that I search for solutions before I post a request, I did that. However, I didn’t get any hits that I understood to be a solution to the problem I’m having. I appreciate your help, though, for sure.

I looked at the suggested tutorial, but it involves exporting a certificate and then importing it into Firefox. I don’t have Firefox installed. I guess I could install it, but I use Chrome and I prefer to not install software I don’t use. Is there a way to fix this problem without installing Firefox? If not, I guess I can install it, but as I said, I prefer not to.

Thanks again.

Hello @wthalliii

You’re most welcome☺

Thank you for posting back!

There can be more than one root cause for certificate errors, our comments to @smipx, Paul, had nothing to do with searching for similar topics, we’re simply saying, if people share with us:  system OS  & build, the KIS version & patch, the other application version & alert/error screen images, when a topic is posted, we can target our advice, bc, we do not have a crystal ball. 

Other people have solved this issue by doing the following:

1. Create a System restore point. 
  2. Close all applications except KIS & Thunderbird. 
  3. Delete Thunderbird email account. 
  4. Run a KIS Database update. 
  5. Shutdown the PC using Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login, make sure KIS is running. 
  6. Start Thunderbird, check if the certificate issue persists? 
  7. IF “yes”, post back images of all Certificate tabs showing after View Certificate & Details are selected please? 
  8. Note, there’s also How to add the Kaspersky root certificate to the Mozilla Firefox or Thunderbird certificate storage, however, some people have also found this doesn’t work🤔

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

I looked at the suggested tutorial, but it involves exporting a certificate and then importing it into Firefox.

Hello @wthalliii

If you wish to export the KAV certificate & import into Thunderbird, follow these videos. 
Video 2 shows what's not documented (for Thunderbird). 

Link

Link

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

I just got that message again, so exporting that certificate from Kaspersky and importing it into Thunderbird did not work. It only happens a few times a day, but it sure is annoying.

Hello @wthalliii,

Thank you for taking the time to update us👌

⚠ Did you try deleting the Thunderbird account → steps 1 to 6, we provided 2 days ago? ⚠

Please log a request with  Kaspersky Technical Support, select Application malfunction, Incompatibility with 3rd party software template. Provide a detailed history, including all steps you’ve taken & screen print(s), Support may request logs, traces & other data, they’ll guide you: 

• After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will communicate with you, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

That did not work. Here’s the message I’m getting:

I added imap.billhall.net  and billhall.net to the trusted addresses per the instructions, and I’m still getting the message. 

I’m running Windows 10 home 64 bit ver 20H2 Build 19042.1083

KIS version is 21.3.10.391 (d)

Database release date: Yesterday, 6:22 AM

Thunderbird is version 78.11.0 (32-bit)

Hello ,

Could you please press view certificate when this message display and take a screenshot on first and last tab in opened certificate window ?

Regards.

I just got that message again, so exporting that certificate from Kaspersky and importing it into Thunderbird did not work. It only happens a few times a day, but it sure is annoying.

Hello @wthalliii,

Thank you for taking the time to update us👌

⚠ Did you try deleting the Thunderbird account → steps 1 to 6, we provided 2 days ago? ⚠

Please log a request with  Kaspersky Technical Support, select Application malfunction, Incompatibility with 3rd party software template. Provide a detailed history, including all steps you’ve taken & screen print(s), Support may request logs, traces & other data, they’ll guide you: 

• After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will communicate with you, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

I apologize for taking so long to respond. There’s just too much going on in my life right now to have much time to spend trying to troubleshoot.

No, I didn’t follow the instructions for deleting the email account in Thunderbird. I didn’t understand what it would accomplish to delete the email account that it’s having trouble with. Sure, that would solve the problem because it no longer will try to contact that email server. Or at least, that was my reasoning. If this is wrong, please explain what I’m missing. Also, my experience with Thunderbird is that sometimes it’s difficult to add accounts, so I wanted to avoid the potential trouble of having to add it back. That’s why I just followed the instructions for transferring the KIS certificate to Thunderbird.

Please don’t take this as a criticism. I am a retired embedded systems engineer, so I am perhaps being over analytical. But I don’t know anything about Kaspersky software, so that’s why I need your help.

And, again, thanks for your help and for your patience with me.

I apologize for taking so long to respond. There’s just too much going on in my life right now to have much time to spend trying to troubleshoot.

No, I didn’t follow the instructions for deleting the email account in Thunderbird. I didn’t understand what it would accomplish to delete the email account that it’s having trouble with. Sure, that would solve the problem because it no longer will try to contact that email server. Or at least, that was my reasoning. If this is wrong, please explain what I’m missing. Also, my experience with Thunderbird is that sometimes it’s difficult to add accounts, so I wanted to avoid the potential trouble of having to add it back. That’s why I just followed the instructions for transferring the KIS certificate to Thunderbird.

Please don’t take this as a criticism. I am a retired embedded systems engineer, so I am perhaps being over analytical. But I don’t know anything about Kaspersky software, so that’s why I need your help.

Hello @wthalliii

You’re most welcome☺ !

No apology required, we’re here to help, when you’re ready, take as much time as you need. 

We’re not at all offended, we don’t see any criticism in your words. 

The reason we suggested deleting & recreating the Thunderbird email account is, other Community members have advised it resolved their issue; however, each case is different. 

1. May we have a screen-print of each of the certificate tabs after View certificate is selected please? 

Please post back? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Hello @wthalliii

You’re most welcome☺ !

No apology required, we’re here to help, when you’re ready, take as much time as you need. 

We’re not at all offended, we don’t see any criticism in your words. 

The reason we suggested deleting & recreating the Thunderbird email account is, other Community members have advised it resolved their issue; however, each case is different. 

1. May we have a screen-print of each of the certificate tabs after View certificate is selected please? 

Please post back? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

I followed the instructions for deleting the account in Thunderbird. That did not work. As soon as I put the account back, I got the message. I have other software such as Filezilla that you just tell it that the certificate is okay and to just remember it, and that works. Is there a way in KIS to do that?

You asked “May we have a screen-print of each of the certificate tabs after View certificate is selected please?” Is this the certificates in Thunderbird? There are a BUNCH of them. There are a bunch of them in KIS, too.

I followed the instructions for deleting the account in Thunderbird. That did not work. As soon as I put the account back, I got the message. I have other software such as Filezilla that you just tell it that the certificate is okay and to just remember it, and that works. Is there a way in KIS to do that?

You asked “May we have a screen-print of each of the certificate tabs after View certificate is selected please?” Is this the certificates in Thunderbird? There are a BUNCH of them. There are a bunch of them in KIS, too.

Hello @wthalliii

1. The steps used so far should have “told” KIS the certificate is ok, for some reason, these have not worked. 
  1. The certificate tabs (we need to see) are from the certificate popup error you posted above→ 5 days ago → 09th July 2021 please? 
  1. Has this procedure been done → How to remove the certificate warning messages by adding the website to the exclusions list ?

Please let us know? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

I did do the procedure to remove the certificate warning. I had added billhall.net, which is the domain, and imap.billhall.net. For some reason, imap.billhall.net was not there, so I added it. I’m not sure it needs the third level domain. The next time I get that message, if I do, I will look for the certificate tabs.

I finally had time to capture the info in the view certificate tab. Here it is:

Hello,

First, This server could not prove that it is e.crackfold.com; its security certificate expired 12 days ago. So KL doesn't make mistake to report certification issue. The browser tell me the same result. But crackfold.com is OK. Does this information related to imap.billhall.net which belong to your email service provider???

billhall.net  <----------------> crackfold.com ???

Could you run windows update once to update system root certification first in order to try to update certification and login email services via http://webmail.billhall.net/ , that’s OK without any problem?

Second. I think if you can, please notice email manager to handle this problem. They need update its email certification to resolve the problem.

Third. As a temporary workaround. You can do two methods, Please choose a method that can solve the problem and set it up.

1. Go to KL product Settings → Network settings → trusted address → add billhall.net. Does it work? if no, go ahead.
  1. Set thunderbird.exe to trusted application and set “Do not scan encrypted network traffic”. But please notice this is not a very good method.

Regards.