Can the "News" notifications be disabled in Kaspersky Free?

tbcam88

1 hour ago, tbcam88 said:
  1. Can the "News" notifications be disabled in Kaspersky Free? || Wondering if these pesky notifications can be disabled? ?

Hello @tbcam88

Welcome!

Has Kaspersky Free, How to configure delivery of notifications containing news and special offers from Kaspersky - been followed? 

Please confirm? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Parent resource:

Kaspersky Free, Kaspersky Free, How to configure application notifications

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife

12 minutes ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @tbcam88

Welcome!

Has Kaspersky Free, How to configure delivery of notifications containing news and special offers from Kaspersky - been followed? 

Please confirm? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Hello Flood,

Is this article perhaps out of date? As the options listed within aren't made available on my Kaspersky Free interface. I'm currently running v21.8.5.452(b) - which I believe is latest:

Untitled.thumb.png.d0c599de0b7a22d18100696cc94e5011.png

Hello @tbcam88

You're most welcome!

Thank you for posting back!

1. The documentation resource, Win21.8, Article ID: 201575, Last review: Nov 10, 2022, is correct. 
  2. IF Notification settings is selected, can Events - Notify on screen - be configured? 
  3. In (your) MyKaspersky account, which Notifications have been configured? 
  4. IF (you) read the News item, does it go away & come back or does it not go away? 

image.thumb.jpeg.3574cbf020146b10b8df8584b4a4fd1f.jpeg

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Added questions

Sorry, Flood. I'm not able to make out the screens you posted as the resolution is too low. The text within each is all blurred.

No, there's no option configure "events" within the notification settings window. Kaspersky Free doesn't seem to include the option of modifying such preferences...

Untitled.thumb.png.92530ff5f2166df6d7d62c7f4f0629fe.png

Edited by tbcam88

3 hours ago, tbcam88 said:
  1. I'm not able to make out the screens you posted as the resolution is too low. The text within each is all blurred.
  2. No, there's no option configure "events" within the notification settings window. Kaspersky Free doesn't seem to include the option of modifying such preferences...

Hello @tbcam88

You're most welcome!

1. Apologies for the graphics, the forum editor is not so friendly for multiple images, we combine to accommodate the limits & acknowledge the poor quality?
  2. In (your) MyKaspersky account, which Notifications have been configured? 
  3. IF (you) read the News item, does it go away & come back or does it not go away *ever*? 
  4. Is the Kaspersky Free (KF) app *pinned* to the Windows taskbar? 
  5. Which Windows OS & build is installed, refer: https://support.kaspersky.com/common/diagnostics/15026 ?
  6. In Windows, how have the Notifications settings been configured for KF - post an image please? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

2. I logged into the MyKaspersky portal but there aren't any notification options that can be configured there?

3. If you open and view the item its system tray icon will vanish, yes, but when Kaspersky publish the next news article, that appears and the process simply begins all over again.

4. No. Kaspersky isn't pinned to my taskbar.

5. Win 10 Pro x64 20H2 19042.2251

6. I have all Windows 10 notifications disabled at administrator level.

I'm beginning to think Kaspersky don't allow you to disable these notifications unless you're running one of their monetised versions of the application. Unless there's a registry tweak of sorts available somewhere it's probably something free users just have to put up with. ?

@tbcam88

When we have time, we'll install Kaspersky Free (not on a Windows 20H2 OS) - to see if we can replicate the issue, in the interim, restore KAV Free application settings to default, then shutdown the computer, using Shutdown, not Restart, power on - by pressing the power button, login, recheck the issue? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/18/2022 at 9:03 AM, tbcam88 said:
  1. I'm beginning to think Kaspersky don't allow you to disable these notifications unless you're running one of their monetised versions of the application.
  2. it's probably something free users just have to put up with. ?

Hello @tbcam88

Update: 

Unfortunately & frustratingly- we've run Kaspersky Free for 30 days & have not been able to get a Kaspersky News item to appear on the Taskbar or anywhere else for that matter. 

1. Possibly. 
  2. Probably. 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

spelling || ?

Additional @tbcam88

Is Analyze statistics checked or unchecked, in (your) MyK  account? 

Analyze information about the resources you visit and the apps that you run to select security news that may be important or interesting to you.

News items (you) receive are based on data extracted by this tools analysis, amongst other things. 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

• 4 months later...

I have the same issue. It started happening fairly recently. I checked my Windows 10 Taskbar Settings, my Kaspersky Free settings, nothing covers this irritating issue. 

What occurs is that the icon for Kaspersky in my Taskbar (see screenshot) which is normally the "Midori teddy bear turns into an envelope in the same shade of green. Kaspersky Free, Pause protection, Settings (which end up being the general settings of the program), Customer Service (which is not incl. for free version), About, and Exit are the only selections when I left-click the icon. In looking at the previous Q & A's, I do have it pinned to my taskbar, and tried to follow one of the solutions offered, but like @tbcam88, I also have a different screen / options than your screenshot. Thanks in advance for any help!

image.png

3 hours ago, GeekyRedhead said:

A. the icon for Kaspersky in my Taskbar, which is normally the "Midori teddy bear turns into an envelope in the same shade of green.

B. Click left options: Kaspersky Free, Pause protection, Settings (which end up being the general settings of the program), Customer Service (which is not incl. for free version), About, and Exit are the only selections when I left click the icon. I do have it pinned to my taskbar.

Hello @GeekyRedhead
Welcome!
1. It appears as if the latest Kaspersky Free version is not installed, please check -> on the Windows Taskbar -> *hidden icons* -> right click the Kaspersky icon, select About
2. IF the version is 21.3.10.391*, have the following options been reviewed:

Spoiler
  1. Open the main application window.
  2. Click the Settings icon in the lower part of the window -> the Settings window opens.
  3. Go to the Interface section.

In the News notifications section -> *Uncheck*:

• Receive informational messages and advertisements from Kaspersky check box if you want to receive notifications about computer security news.

In the Promotional materials section:

• Show information about special offers check box if you want to receive the best offers when visiting Kaspersky websites.
  • Receive informational messages and advertisements after the current license expires check box if you want to receive notifications about security news from Kaspersky after your license or subscription expires.

3. IF the Kaspersky Free application is *pinned* to the Windows taskbar, every time a News item arrives, the Kaspersky icon & OR Midori Kuma (the bear) *will* change to a Mail✉️ icon & alert -> IF (you) don't wish for this to happen -> *unpin* the Kaspersky Free application from the Taskbar - the Kaspersky Free application will *still* be available in *hidden* icons. 
4. It would be good if Kaspersky Free was *updated* to the latest version which can be downloaded from: Kaspersky Free for Windows® - https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/free-antivirus - various locations are available, select GLOBAL *unless* (you) have specific requirements for one of the listed locations: 

Spoiler

Brazil 
California
Caribbean
Estonia 
European Union
Indonesia
Israel
Latvia
Lithuania 
South East Asia
United Kingdom 

5. (some) Resource guides for *new* Kaspersky Free:

Any questions, or issues, please post back? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

modified resource guides, there's more, too many to list?

@FloodandFlood'sWife Sorry to double-comment, but the end of this saga is that I downloaded the more updated file today, and during install, it discovered the previous installation, as expected, removed it, asked me to restart my PC and didn't install the new file. Ugh! No icon on my toolbar. However, it's showing up in my Task Manager, and Context Menu! I completely uninstalled it manually, then attempted the new installation, not once, but THREE times, to no avail. I was forced to install another AV program, as it had taken most of my day with all that shenanigans, and I should have been working on FAR more important tasks. I would prefer to have Kaspersky, but unless you have a quick and easy installation solution, I guess I have no choice...

7 hours ago, GeekyRedhead said:

A. As it turns out, it was NOT updated, and it's set to automatically update (and said it had done so 4 mins. prior!), so this is rather disappointing!

1 hour ago, GeekyRedhead said:

Downloaded the more updated file today, and during install, it discovered the previous installation, as expected, removed it, asked me to restart my PC and didn't install the new file.

Ugh! No icon on my toolbar. However, it's showing up in my Task Manager, and Context Menu!

Completely uninstalled it manually, then attempted the new installation, not once, but THREE times, to no avail.

Forced to install another AV program, no more time to mess around with stuff that should work seamlessly. 

Hello @GeekyRedhead

You're most welcome!

• Re ANOT updated - said it had done so 4 mins. prior! - are (you) referring to a: Database update OR an application version update
  • Don't worry about 'double-commenting', no problem, how else can you share important information - without it - no answer required... 
  • FYI, IF / when a successful install is done, we do not want the Kaspersky app pinned to the Windows Taskbar. 
  • While we appreciate you've spent hours "trying to get it to work" - we don't have a quick answer without troubleshooting & offering solutions - all of which takes time for you to implement - including providing feedback... AND - different time zones may also impact response times > in either direction. 
  1. In (your) MyKaspersky account, *which* Kaspersky AV software in shown - associated with the device? 

Please post back? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

- I'm not sure which it was that was updated, but I definitely had it on automatic updates and it wasn't, so there's that problem.

- I didn't realize it wasn't recommended to pin; I always do so I can make sure it's on. But if I get Kaspersky back, I have that duly noted ?

- I understand. I was just very frustrated at the time. Anywho, in light of the details on what transpired, leading to my uninstalled program?

- The software associated is shown as  Kaspersky Security Cloud Free.

Thanks again for your time and assistance!

8 minutes ago, GeekyRedhead said:
  1. I'm not sure which it was that was updated, but I definitely had it on automatic updates, and it wasn't, so there's that problem.
  2. I didn't realize it wasn't recommended to pin; I always do so I can make sure it's on. But if I get Kaspersky back, I have that duly noted ?
  3. I understand. I was just very frustrated at the time. Anywho, in light of the details on what transpired, leading to my uninstalled program?
  4. The software associated is shown as Kaspersky Security Cloud Free.

Hello @GeekyRedhead

You're most welcome!

1. Ok, so let's worry about that IF / when we get a successful / clean install of the most recent AV release. 
  2. Excellent. It's not that it's "not recommended", but for this / & (your) specific circumstance: "Midori teddy bear turns into an envelope in the same shade of green", while the issue is being troubleshot to resolution - we are not going to have the application pinned. 
  3. No problem, we totally understand 'frustration' - it's permitted?  || We don't understand the rest of the "Anyhoo sentence..." Please clarify?
  4. OK, in MyKaspersky, for Kaspersky Security Cloud Free - select DISCONNECT -> confirm the action in the popup, -> then review MyKaspersky to make sure no Kaspersky AV software is associated with the computer we are working on & post back please? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?