Can KIS Interfere With DHCP? my Ethernet controller lost its ability to obtain an IP address from DHCP.

Bukkdog

I am a long-time, satisfied user of Kaspersky software. Currently, I have the most recent version of KIS, which is installed on Windows 10 v.1903. KIS is version is 19.0.0.1008(i).

A few days ago, seemingly ‘out of the blue’ my Ethernet controller lost its ability to obtain an IP address from DHCP. Prior to this, my Ethernet controller was working flawlessly. I wonder if an update to KIS could have caused this.

Many thanks for your help.

Hello @Bukkdog

Welcome!

1. When “Ethernet controller lost its ability to obtain an IP address from DHCP”, were there any visible errors, notifications & or popups?
  2. Have you been able to fix “Ethernet controller lost its ability to obtain an IP address from DHCP”, or is the issue still present?
  3. May we have: KIS Report please:  open KIS application, select More Tools, select Reports, select Detailed Reports, select All Events, select 7days , select Export, save the report as a text file (*.txt), attach to your reply please? 

Please post back?

Thank you

Hello @Bukkdog

Welcome!

KIS is configured to “Download and install new versions automatically” thus it should be on the most recent version. I have not found a way to manually update KIS to a new version.

• When “Ethernet controller lost its ability to obtain an IP address from DHCP”, were there any visible errors, notifications & or popups?

There were no visible errors, notifications or popups. I simply lost my connection to the internet, and the network icon in the Windows notification area changed to an icon indicating ‘no internet.’

• Have you been able to fix “Ethernet controller lost its ability to obtain an IP address from DHCP”, or is the issue still present?

The issue is still present.

• May we have: KIS Report please:  open KIS application, select More Tools, select Reports, select Detailed Reports, select All Events, select 7days , select Export, save the report as a text file (*.txt), attach to your reply please? 

The report is attached.

In addition: Is it still possible to backup and restore KIS configuration settings? Is it possible to reset KIS to its default configuration?

Many thanks for your help.

Hello @Bukkdog,

You’re very welcome!

Thank you for the report and information👏 .

🅰

Regarding resetting KIS, absolutely, however, personally, before resetting (my) Kaspersky software, I like to export the current configuration, in case I wish to revert, based on that, my steps will guide you for both steps:

1. Export KIS Settings: open KIS application, select ⚙Settings, in the Settings window, select Manage Settings, select Export Settings, save KIS Configuration file. 
  2. Restore KIS Settings:  open KIS application, select ⚙Settings, in the Settings window, select Restore Settings, this initiates the Settings Restore Wizard, select Next, two popups will display: a Attention UAC confirmation popup, select Continue and a Settings have been restored, select Done. 

Note: Reset to Default will turn AntiBanner OFF, please ensure AntiBanner is turned ON, and Reset to Default will ‘reconfigure Private Browsing (again personal choice, I like to change (my) software to block data collection, imo, it’s called Private Browing for a reason). 

🅱

Regarding KIS (new/updated versions), do any of the following conditions apply:

1. Is FastBoot enabled?
  2. Is Sleep or Hibernate enabled?
  3. On average, how often is the computer shutdown, using (Windows) Full Shutdown, not Restart? 

🇨

Regarding DHCP:

1. In Windows Event Logs, are there any Network events that match the timeframe or the loss of DHCP connectivity? 
  2. What network service is being used to allow internet access atm? 
  3. Have you run the Windows Network Trouble Shooter
  4. Have you disconnected the network connection and reset the Router/Modem?
  5. Is the Ethernet network adapter enabled?
  6. Is a VPN installed, enabled/active? 

🇩

1. May I have a GSI & Windows Logs ? Please upload the ZIP folder to cloud & pm the link please?

--- 

Regarding “solved”, i’ll ask the Moderators to “reset” the Topic status. 

Thank you🙏

I am still awaiting an answer to my original question:

… my Ethernet controller lost its ability to obtain an IP address from DHCP. … I wonder if an update to KIS could have caused this.

In addition, I would also like to know if any of the drivers that KIS installs, or any of its hooks into networking, can affect the functioning of DHCP.

One way that I can answer my questions is to uninstall KIS and see if that returns the ability of my Ethernet controller to access DHCP,  but that would be an inconvenience.

Thank you for your help.

Hello  @Bukkdog,

Yes, I’m aware you’re waiting for answers, I’m endeavouring to provide you with that information, to help us help you, we need information and data.

Alternatively, you may wish to consult Kaspersky Technical Support, they will also request information and data.  

And of course, you’re free to make any choices you wish to “answer” your questions. 

Thank you. 

I used kavremover to remove Kaspersky Internet Security. This did not solve my problem, unfortunately. So I can eliminate Kaspersky Internet Security as the cause of my problem, which is a good thing because I really like KIS.

(My original problem is that my Ethernet adapter has lost its ability to pull an IP address from DHCP.)

I will now re-install KIS (version 20.)