bitcoin spam [requests via email] [MERGE] [Closed]

spuddo
Go to solution Solved by spuddo,

Hello  @spuddo,

Welcome!

Please provide more detail:

1. Operating system version & build ?
  2. KIS version & patch(x) ?
  3. Are the bitcoin requests coming via mail? If “yes”, do you use an installed mail app or mail via a web browser ?
  4. If mail app, please tell us name & version ?
  5. If mail is accessed via browser, please provide browser(s) name(s) & version(s)?
  6. If the bitcoin & other rubbish is coming via another means, please provide images & exported KIS REPORT?

Please post back?

Thank you

Hello  @spuddo,

You’re very welcome!

Thank you for replying🙏 

• KISv20 Mail & Spam filters only apply to installed mail applications, mail accessed via a web browser is not controlled by these two tools. 
  • Slimjet browser is not supported by Kaspersky, refer: KIS20 software requirements
  1. Can you tell me how you’re “blocking” the bitcoin email please?
  2. Which mail provider do you use please?
  3. If you look in KIS Reports, open KIS application, select More Tools, select Reports, select Detailed Reports, are there any “Bitcoin” entries?

Please let me know?

Thank you

Hello  @spuddo,

Thanks for replying and the additional information.

• KIS does not manage any mail accessed via a web browser.

If you wish to use KIS Mail & Spam filters, especially for the “bitcoin” emails, install or activate your email account in the Mail app in Windows 8.1 

Mail Anti-Virus scans incoming and outgoing email messages on your computer. An email message is available to the recipient only if it does not contain dangerous objects.’

KIS20 Mail Anti-Virus

Configuring Mail Anti-Virus

KIS20 Spam Blocked senders

Blocking unwanted email (spam)

KIS is compatible with the following browsers: 

Mozilla Firefox versions 52.x – 65.x
Mozilla Firefox ESR 52.x, 60.x
Google Chrome versions 48.x – 72.x

+ KIS (browser) Protection extension/addon, inclusions Private Browsing & Anti-Banner, both of which manage advertising. I also use “other” ad blocking privacy software, as long as it’s compatible with Kaspersky software. 

Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0, 9.0, 10.0, and 11.0

Windows 8 Edge Chromium browser is not compatible, nor are any development or beta browsers

• FYI: KIS patch(f) is rolling out, make sure you reboot, shutdown your computer on a regular basis to apply the patch. You won’t necessarily know the patch is “waiting”, only after reboot, you’ll see the update has occured. Because Patch(f) is on it’s way, I export KIS Settings (.cfg) and create a System Restore Point before apply any new software. 
  • Back to the bitcoin & any spam, junk or malicious mail, without opening the mail, highlight mail, rightclick, select source data, paste the data to a Spam Parser, process; each submitted mail is reported to the ip block owner, domain & host providers, the major ones, block & remove spammers accounts. Doesn’t stop spammers & malicious “actors” setting up new accounts, however, over a period of time, you’ll see a significant reduction is all spam & mailcious mail, to use my own experience, reduction from 100’s of spam/malicious mail weekly to 1 or 2 a month🤸

Post back please, if you require any additionaol information?

Thank you

Hello  @spuddo,

Thank you for replying and the clarification. 

KIS, Mail Anti-Virus settings, apart from enabling, have you changed the Security Level & or changed any Advanced Settings, including the Mail Anti-Virus plug-ins into Microsoft Outlook mail client? 

Anti-SpamBlocking unwanted email (spam), add  *bitcoin*. leave the weighting coefficient as 100, select 🔘Active, select Add

Please let me know?

Thank you

hi , did all of the above , except could not open “blocked phrases” page.

The biggest change i have noticed since all these changes ---new browser etc is the very slow download speed , 10% of what i was used to, i’m used to 40+ gbits.

Thanks

Hello  @spuddo,

To add *bitcoin*

• Select Advanced Settings, in Advanced settings of Anti-Spam window, tick✔ If it contains blocked phrases and select Select, the Blocked phrases window opens. 
  • If Blocked phrases window does not open, please use CamStudio, record the issue & post back?

Regarding download speed, please run Windows in SafeMode, test the issue, let me know please?

Thank you

Hi , sorry for the delay.

I mentioned at the start i am digitally challenged , but improving.

I managed to work out anti spam blocked phrases thingy , so we will wait and see.

A far as windows in safe mode , well that was  a disaster---even KSP didn’t like it.

fingers crossed and thanks for your efforts

Hello  @spuddo,

1. Please tell me the Mail app exact version? (windows mail app 8.1 is Windows version not Mail)
  2.  How is the KIS Anti-Spam “bitcoin”, filter not working ?
  3. Where are the “bitcoin” emails when they arrive? 
  4. Are the “bitcoin” emails flagged in any way? 
  5. Have you configured an Outlook rule for any email with “bitcoin” in the subject or body, and no other criteria, to be immediately deleted? 
  6. Have you implemented the Parser solution? 

Please let me know?

Thank you

Hi , i use windows mail app 8.1 and it does the same as Outlook , it sends spam to junk.

After 30 days it deletes it all.

Job done.

Kaspersky  anti-spam settings had no effect , bitcoin still kept coming.

Did you read the link i sent?

Hopefully Kaspersky does all the others things it promises

FLOOD i appreciate your patience with me and thanks for the help.

I am happy with the outcome and trust that windows will do their part of the deal and keep junking the spam.

Ciao

Hello  @spuddo,

You’re very welcome! 

Thank you for posting back🙏

Re  reading the link, yes I did. 

Since we last “spoke”, I’ve had numerous “conversations”, with KLab😖

I won’t bore you with the details, in essence, Kaspersky “Anti-Spam”, has been “modified”, atpit, I can confirm KAS labels “spam” & “possible spam”, at which point (on Kaspersky’s advice), it’s up to Kaspersky Users “instead to create rules in their Mail program to move & manage emails to a desired folder”😨

They also advised “with the introduction of the 2019 version, the Anti-Spam plugin in all versions of Outlook has been discontinued. The reasons behind this decision are the decline in the number of customer using this feature and the fact that the majority of them use web-based email services.The remaining parts of Anti-Spam will still be operating as usual (the component will be scanning and checking network traffic for spam)”.🙄🤔

It’s a bit like 💄 on a 🐖 , doesn’t matter which shade or brand is used, it’s always gunna be a 🐷

Best regards.