Auto Upgrade Installs in Different Location

N_B

Kaspersky just auto upgraded itself and it installed itself in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab

But that’s not where I had my install!  Why does it do this??  It should keep my original install location.  Now I have to uninstall and reinstall where I want it.

So @#$%&$* annoying!!!

Why does it do this??

Hi @N_B,

it is not least a question of protection.
With the Windows default settings anyone is allowed to write to 'C:\Kaspersky' or modify files. For a change in 'C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\' you need at least administrator rights. Kaspersky protects its program, but if Windows does the same, the protection is even more powerful.

In addition there are specifications from Microsoft, where a program has to install its binaries and its data.

It’s my computer, not Kaspersky’s.  I should be able to install where ever I want.  And I did.  But when it upgrades itself (which it didn’t even ask me!) then it should install in the same location.

It’s my computer, not Kaspersky’s.  I should be able to install where ever I want.  And I did.  But when it upgrades itself (which it didn’t even ask me!) then it should install in the same location.

Hello @N_B

Kaspersky has a standard install path, it does not “know” you’ve changed that; when it installs or upgrades, it does so according to the standard. 

All updates have been changed to automatic, unfortunately, no-one gets “asked” anymore.

Just a heads up, if, at any time, there’s a problem that requires assistance from the Kaspersky Technical Team, things that are non-standard may be identified as a possible root cause; at that point, the Support team may advise reverting to their recommendations. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

You provide the option to install in a directory of my choosing.  So I did.

And of course your installer can find out where Kaspersky is installed.  The location is in the registry.  So it should install the upgrade in the same place.

Hello @N_B

Thank you for posting back & providing additional information, it helps clarify the issues👌

Understood!

• Log a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, ask them to explain why the install via command line switch, is not working as expected? 
  • Fill in the template as in our image, in the problem description, provide specific system & software version information, a detailed history, images & or video if they help explain the problem & the URL/link to this Community topic; Support may request Logs & or other system data, they will guide you if necessary

• After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will be in touch, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in their MyKaspersky account.
  • Please share the outcome with the Community when it’s available? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋