2022 - Found myself without a keyboard or mouse after install...

MrBrandt

I found myself without a working keyboard or mouse after installing Kaspersky Free. LUCKILY, the mouse worked when I unplugged it since it's wired and wireless.

I scoured the internet for a solution to my problem and quickly learned that has been an issue with Kaspersky since as early as 2016!?

I saw that while keyboard input seemed, blocked, I was still able to communicate between PC and keyboard adjusting volume and opening calculator, for example. Moving forward, I tried uninstalling the devices multiple times and reinstalling them (after system restart), I tried modifying the registry, I tried running several different scans...  ZERO luck. Then I thought, "Maybe disable Kaspersky?" Still nothing. I uninstalled, restarted, nothing. Windows troubleshoot was unable to fix my "driver error".

I caved and called Kaspersky - this seemed promising since the rep sounded friendly! Alas, they told me the problem was not due to Kaspersky (I KNOW it was since that was the only significant change I made to my system), they could not help me and that I might need to contact Microsoft (ROFL, no)...

Solution: Hold the shift key and restart the PC. Select a restore point from before installing Kaspersky. Wait about 10 minutes (will vary by system).

Thanks for nothing, rep! ZERO effort. I hope you are shown this and not reprimanded, but at least LEARN to apply yourself to help customers. Call Ref #: 14316475

Hello,

I suppose it can be the known Bug 5657225: [SUPPORT] Mouse and keyboard does not work after reboot (patch i appliance)

It is related to our filters, which write in registry its values - only Windows OS can be affected. In most cases there was desinfection procedure + patch appliance. The problem will be fixed in next product`s version. 

Here are the list of steps, which can help to resolve the problem(highest workaround is easiest one):

1. Use USB-Recover tool:
https://support.kaspersky.com/14221

to restore default mouse/keyboard filters values.

USB Recover tool is based on KRD18(Linux OS), so keyboard and mouse must work within BIOS and this OS, because they are not related to Windows and its registry filters.

2. Use System Restore. It can be run from Recovery mode:
https://www.ubackup.com/backup-restore/windows-10-recovery-mode-1021.html

Also you can run command prompt from this mode and delete keyboard and mouse filters manually:

3. Or manually delete Kaspersky values from registry:

Reboot PC - Troubleshooting - CMD - open regedit -
delete klkbdflt and klmouflt values in UpperFilters from the following path

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM1\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM1\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

The last one - is the hardest way to restore keyboard and mouse and it is better to do not use it, if you are not Advanced user of PC(skills of work with Windows registry is required).

Thanks.

P.S. We have had the problem with keyboard and mouse filters before(in 2016 and after), but it were single cases, which were related to kavremover utility, improperly installation/uninstallation of Kaspersky products, customer`s registry problems etc.

Edited by Mikhail Shakhov
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

" We have had the problem with keyboard and mouse filters before(in 2016 and after)"

Wow and still having issues!!  Not to revive an old thread but I'm having serious issues just after uninstalling Kapersky. Did a re-install same issue lagging mouse ...seriously lagging ..!!!!  The computer is now unusable in this state. Congratulations you proved how immature your software really is ...pffft . Now I, not you have to jump through hoops to clean the garbage up. Sorry to say it this way but if your uninstall doesn't work Correctly and Messes up a computer and you admit it's been an issue since 2016 .... really ?  That's basic computer software engineering ...no ? So here's what you should be doing ..fixing what you break ...no ?

On 2/18/2023 at 7:22 PM, Atomahawk said:

" We have had the problem with keyboard and mouse filters before(in 2016 and after)"

Wow and still having issues!!  Not to revive an old thread but I'm having serious issues just after uninstalling Kapersky. Did a re-install same issue lagging mouse ...seriously lagging ..!!!!  The computer is now unusable in this state. Congratulations you proved how immature your software really is ...pffft . Now I, not you have to jump through hoops to clean the garbage up. Sorry to say it this way but if your uninstall doesn't work Correctly and Messes up a computer and you admit it's been an issue since 2016 .... really ?  That's basic computer software engineering ...no ? So here's what you should be doing ..fixing what you break ...no ?

Hello,

you are wrong. Such bugs are fixing by our developers quickly(if the root of the problem on our side), they have high or critical priority. It does not mean, that they reproduce on all customers` PCs - there is always some specific scenario for the bug reproduction(desinfection procedure + patch upgrade, some local hardware and software configuration, problems with registry on customer`s PC etc.) 

It does not mean, that the Kaspersky is always a culprit - it can be some third-party company software or registry/OS issue on customer`s PC. That is why we are analyzing every such case and providing quick fix, if the root of the problem is Kaspersky product. 

This is not a bug, which Kaspersky can`t fix for years:) I mean, that such problem periodically appears. 

Thank you. 

Edited by Mikhail Shakhov

• 6 months later...

This is just a REAL shame to broke user's PC like that , never seen this before !!!!!!

the up^date of 23/08/2023 just broke my entire computer : no mouse, no keyboard ... and system in hibernate mode !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What can i do to recover my computer ???????

usb fix : just shit, 1 change and no keyboard or mouse ????

Is there skilled ingeneer at kasper lab ???

You just waste my time, and week end.

just a question , did i, or your customer,  allow you to modify .sys file in order to put YOUR keyboard or mouse sniffer ?????

That just WEIRD.

in 30 year of carreer i never seen that sort of bullshit. really.

A product aiming to protect you, and we paid fopr that, is just destroying your datas !!!

what can i do ? just rescue KS 18 (linux in fact) cd is working !!! ??????????????????

in fact the REAL virus : is virus vendor themself.

they create them, in order to survive !!!

i the paid release of your malware !

• 2 weeks later...