brian

Moving anti-virus definition files to new drive

I accidentally posted this originally in the "Home Users" forum but meant to post it here.

I have KAV 5.0 Workstation for Windows. It looks like KAV stores its anti-virus definitions in the directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab\KAV for Workstations\5.0\Bases

Because this is an older computer, I added a new, faster hard drive on a new controller card. Loading the Kaspersky anti-virus definitions is probably the slowest, most disk-intensive thing my comptuer does, so I'd like to move these to the new drive (P:). Is there a option, registry setting, etc that lets me do this?

Thanks,

Brian

Thanks for deleting the dupe.

The PC is on the net. Right now, it automatically downloads the updates every 3 hours.

Instead of downloading the bases (these are the anti-virus definitions, correct?) into the folder on the C: drive, though, I'd like it to download the bases into a folder on the P: drive, which is my new hard drive.

Instead of downloading the bases (these are the anti-virus definitions, correct?) into the folder on the C: drive, though, I'd like it to download the bases into a folder on the P: drive, which is my new hard drive.

In KAV for Win WS you can define "shared folder" where all bases will be stored...just define folder on new P:\ drive, click to "shared folder' and "browse" to new drive.

After that, you can point all WS from local net to update "from local folder" - that can be that P:\ folder.

But, keep in mind that this share folder will store ALL bases, which means antivirus+antispam resulting in bigger download...but if you have good link - no probs to do that :)

In KAV for Win WS you can define "shared folder" where all bases will be stored...just define folder on new P:\ drive, click to "shared folder' and "browse" to new drive.

Thanks for the tip on "shared folders". Unfortunately, I think I'm trying to accomplish something different. I want the anti-virus bases completely off of the C: drive since the C: drive is so slow.

If I understand correctly, with the "shared folder", the updates to the bases are retrieved from the P: drive, but the bases are then still copied to the C: drive for use by Kaspersky.

Brian,

I am almost 100% sure that you cannot control which drive holds the BASES folder. I belive the location is "hard coded", although w/o source I am not 100% sure.

Brian,

I am almost 100% sure that you cannot control which drive holds the BASES folder. I belive the location is "hard coded", although w/o source I am not 100% sure.

Yes, you are 100% right.

Okay, thanks for the info. Out of curiousity, why not store the bases in either:

a) The "Kaspersky Lab" subdirectory under the "Program Files" directory, or

B) A "Kaspersky Lab" subdirectory under the "Common Files" directory?

Since the location of both the ProgramFilesDir and CommonFilesDir can be changed in the registry, I've been able to get all my programs to install on my P: drive -- including the Kaspersky program. Unfortunately, the bases still get stuck on C:.

Okay, thanks for the info. Out of curiousity, why not store the bases in either:

a) The "Kaspersky Lab" subdirectory under the "Program Files" directory, or

B) A "Kaspersky Lab" subdirectory under the "Common Files" directory?

Since the location of both the ProgramFilesDir and CommonFilesDir can be changed in the registry, I've been able to get all my programs to install on my P: drive -- including the Kaspersky program. Unfortunately, the bases still get stuck on C:.

[user] has no write permissions for these dirs, only [Administrator].

[user] has no write permissions for these dirs, only [Administrator].

I think the updates are done by a process owned by SYSTEM. If so, writing to ProgramFilesDir or CommonFilesDir wouldn't seem to be an issue.

I checked the ownership of the files in Bases, and everything is owned by either [Administrator] or [Administrators], not any particular [user].

I think the updates are done by a process owned by SYSTEM. If so, writing to ProgramFilesDir or CommonFilesDir wouldn't seem to be an issue.

[sYSTEM] would cause other problems: access to internet through proxy-server for example.

[sYSTEM] would cause other problems: access to internet through proxy-server for example.

It sounds like the updates are not done by [sYSTEM]. But since the updates end up owned by [Administrator] or [Administrators], they must be done by the [Administrator] account, right?

My understanding of XP is that while you can claim ownership of a file (given rights), a non-Administrator [user] could not assign ownership to the [Administrator]. Hence, the [Administrator] must be the one doing the downloading.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.