Sign in to follow this  
Nils

Newb to KAV, and I like it!

I have Kaspersky Suite. I like it. I work for a small computer store, and I we recommend Kaspersky as our preferred antivirus. We sell several a month. People are happy with it.

In short: you guys rock. Thank you.

And now, since I just began using it personally, I have a few questions. :D

1. How do I tell what version of the suite I have?

2. Is 5.0.385 the most recent AV version for the suite, or is there a way to get a newer version? (I see many comments about 388, 390, and 391.) Is the version of KAV included in the suite different in any way from the standard version, or could I actually just download and install updates for standalone KAV?

3. Is it correct that there is one instance of kav and kavpf for each user, and one instance of kavsvc for the machine? Are there any known issues with fast user switching?

4. Which settings are per user, and which are per machine?

5. Is there an ETA for version 2006, or not?

I have Kaspersky Suite. I like it. I work for a small computer store, and I we recommend Kaspersky as our preferred antivirus. We sell several a month. People are happy with it.

In short: you guys rock. Thank you.

And now, since I just began using it personally, I have a few questions. :D

1. How do I tell what version of the suite I have?

2. Is 5.0.385 the most recent AV version for the suite, or is there a way to get a newer version? (I see many comments about 388, 390, and 391.) Is the version of KAV included in the suite different in any way from the standard version, or could I actually just download and install updates for standalone KAV?

3. Is it correct that there is one instance of kav and kavpf for each user, and one instance of kavsvc for the machine? Are there any known issues with fast user switching?

4. Which settings are per user, and which are per machine?

5. Is there an ETA for version 2006, or not?

Hi Nils & welcome

1. By rightclicking on the the tray-icon and choose about.

2. Yes, you can download 5.0.388 from downloads at kaspersky.com, it will update to 5.0.391 with the first update, if you have "Update program updates" checked in the updater settings.

3. The AV is ready for FUS, but i'm not sure about KAH, but the new 6.0 version of the suite will be fully ready for it.

4. Not sure what the question is :unsure: , i can be really slow sometimes. ;)

5. Late feb/early march, but the release candidate is not that far away. :)

Hi Nils & welcome

1. By rightclicking on the the tray-icon and choose about.

2. Yes, you can download 5.0.388 from downloads at kaspersky.com, it will update to 5.0.391 with the first update, if you have "Update program updates" checked in the updater settings.

3. The AV is ready for FUS, but i'm not sure about KAH, but the new 6.0 version of the suite will be fully ready for it.

4. Not sure what the question is :unsure: , i can be really slow sometimes. ;)

5. Late feb/early march, but the release candidate is not that far away. :)

1. If I rightclick the KAV icon, I get the KAV version. If I right-click KAH, I get the KAH version. I'm looking for the suite version. Or is the suite version number pretty much irrelevent?

2. Thanks!

3. Thanks!

4. When I make a change in KAV, it seems to make that change for all users on this machine, even when they're logged in. (This is fine and good.) On the other hand, when I make a change in KAH, is seems to make that change only for me, not for other users (even "launch the security system when the operating system starts"!).

5. Heck, sounds like the release itself isn't that far away. :) Thanks!

1. If I rightclick the KAV icon, I get the KAV version. If I right-click KAH, I get the KAH version. I'm looking for the suite version. Or is the suite version number pretty much irrelevent?

2. Thanks!

3. Thanks!

4. When I make a change in KAV, it seems to make that change for all users on this machine, even when they're logged in. (This is fine and good.) On the other hand, when I make a change in KAH, is seems to make that change only for me, not for other users (even "launch the security system when the operating system starts"!).

5. Heck, sounds like the release itself isn't that far away.  :)  Thanks!

1. Thats easy, if you have (well had) Kav 5.0.385, then you have the latest version 1.1.53 of the suite. Only these two versions ever made of the suite:http://downloads1.kaspersky-labs.com/produ...lease_notes.htm.

4. Oh, i see, to be honest i can't say for sure this will be different in the 6.0, because i haven't got it installed ATM, only the other components, it is very much improved particularly with regards to leaktests etc, but since it will support FUS, i assume it will. :)

1. Thats easy, if you have (well had) Kav 5.0.385, then you have the latest version 1.1.53 of the suite. Only these two versions ever made of the suite:http://downloads1.kaspersky-labs.com/produ...lease_notes.htm.

4. Oh, i see, to be honest i can't say for sure this will be different in the 6.0, because i haven't got it installed ATM, only the other components, it is very much improved particularly with regards to leaktests etc, but since it will support FUS, i assume it will. :)

1. Excellent. Exactly what I was looking for.

4. OK, I'll just wait for 6.0 to launch before I start messing with that. Very few programs can handle FUS with any kind of competence, so I can't really fault KAV for not being bug-free in that respect. :)

Incidentally: Question 6!

During periods of activity (opening a program, etc) KAV (I think) keeps accessing my floppy drive, which is annoying because my floppy drive is (1) loud and (2) empty. Can I tell KAV to ignore it completely? I tried adding A:/ to the exclusion list, but that didn't help.

If you think it isn't KAV, do you know of a way to check what it is that's suddenly trying to access the A: drive? A sysinternals utility, maybe?

You can disable it via the GUI in Pro, not in Personal.......but there is a trick, do this in the on-demand settings:http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?act=A...ype=post&id=308, remember to scan on-demand before doing it, 6.0 will have this option in the GUI.

I'm beginning to see why people are excited about 6.0! The floppy seeks appear to have stopped on their own. Go figure. I guess OSes need some time to sort things out after a major installation...

Alright. I'll go away and be quiet for a while now. Thanks for all your answers, Don.

In short: you guys rock. Thank you

i th9nk i'm with Nils in this case - i "graduated to kaspersky from norton my first scan detected aproximately 300infections[which norton failed to detect

i th9nk i'm with Nils in this case - i "graduated to kaspersky from norton  my first scan detected  aproximately 300infections[which norton failed to detect

Welcome to the forum, Zebadiah.

I hope Kaspersky continue's to keep your pc clean. :)

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.