Sign in to follow this  
Arrow5

Registry Guard Enabled by Mistake ~ Problems After

Hello all,

Please excuse the lack of techie knowledge, and probably a too-wordy message!

I believe I have goofed up something but think there is an easy fix to it, and I'm hoping upon hope that you all can help.

I am using Kaspersky Home Security 7.0.0.125

Windows XP Home Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)

I spent an endless amount of time on Live Chat last week, was given a solution (Reset Kaspersky Configuration settings to default), but the problem still exists.

I emailed tech support & was given same solution, but never a direct response back to my message after that.

On 9/30, Kasp security program alerted me to a Trojan --- Backdoor.win32.Frauder.eo

I deleted it, and ran scans all over the place. All well.

Upon turning on computer later that evening, another alert popped up saying same trojan.

I undertand now that it was probably the back- up copy of that Kas made -- I deleted that. All well & fine.

I decided to tighten up the security levels in Kaspersky, and in doing so, I checked the help files on the software.

I have everything up to Max, and noticed that the Registry Guard was disabled.

The help file said that the default should be Enabled ~ I now undertand that this was a mistake for me!

The events that took place were almost comical if it had been witnessed, but after enabling registry guard,

all these Pop Ups came up as I was trying to log into Verizon MSN Software to get online.

I got flustered, and confused, and in doing so, I believe I blocked access to my Verizon MSN Software, and the web by doing so.

The pop ups kept suggesting that If I didn't know what they were, that I should deny access & block.

I had already allowed most - but started blocking them all of a sudden - big mistake.

---------------------

I can get complete access to the web via IE, but am very used to navigating within Verizon MSN software, and would very much like to get this resolved.

When I access the net via Verizon MSN software I get a partial view of my MSN homepage, I can get my email, but cannot get to any websites at all. When I try to type a URL in the navigation box, I get thrown into search result.

When I click on any website links I get nothing - blank page.

Can view everything via Internet Explorer, but not My Verizon MSN software.

I noticed while looking around Firewall settings - Rules for Packet Filtering -- that I believe (hunch), I have blocked access to things,

-- but I do not want to touch anything until I know what to do, since I have no earthly clue what all of these things are!

I would appreciate any help. I think this is a matter of just unchecking the blocked items -- but I am hesitant now about doing anything!

Thanks!

If I go to the Registry Guard settings, I'll have to enable Registry Guard again, to be able to get access to

to the greyed out settings button. Is that correct?

If so, the thought of pop-ups again just disturbs me to no end, since obviously I have no clue what to allow/block.

Is there phone support for Kaspersky?

Again, thank you for your assistance, and sorry for the lack of understanding here.

Bumping -- hope someone can address. Thank you!

If I go to the Registry Guard settings, I'll have to enable Registry Guard again, to be able to get access to

to the greyed out settings button. Is that correct?

If so, the thought of pop-ups again just disturbs me to no end, since obviously I have no clue what to allow/block.

Is there phone support for Kaspersky?

Again, thank you for your assistance, and sorry for the lack of understanding here.

Nick9860 - Thanks for your message. Not wanting to upgrade now,

but I appreciate that suggestion.

Question:

Didn't resetting the Kaspersky Configuration settings to default, like I have already done, reset the Registry Guard settings too?

Or are those items that I've blocked by mistake still blocked - like I think they are?

And in order to reset the Registry Guard settings I will have to enable it again -- if pop-ups happen, do I accept them?

Thanks!

If you reset the registry guard settings, it will go back t the default and delete any custom settings you may have done before. If you disable the registry guard, it will not enforce any restrictions being default or custom made...

Hi Arrow,

I can certainly recommend updating to KIS 2009 as the previous posters suggest. I held out because of reading about various problems that people have suffered and also due to the fact that the previous version was working ok on my system. In the end I took the plunge and have been more than happy with the result. It's a different beast altogether and as (like me) you're not too technically minded, I think you'll find it much better than your current version. Since your current build isn't working correctly anyway what have you got to lose?

Cheers,

Marky

After I reset the Kaspersky Configurations settings as Tech support suggested,

shouldn't that have reset the Registry Guard Settings as well ?

It still is blocking whatever I had accidently blocked initially.

Thanks all for your messages. Trying to get support from Kaspersky Tech support has been slow going.

Appreciate it.

Me again.

I was off computer for a while, but still have not heard from Technical support on my issue.

The registry guard settings have been reset as have all KA configuration settings, but I still have no access

to web via internet provider Verizon MSN after I log on.

Using Internet Explorer directly now is the only way.

This all started when I enabled registry guard by mistake, logged onto web via Verizon MSN,

& series of pop ups asked me to accept or block.

I blocked many of them before realizing I shouldn't.

I was told by Tech support to reset Kaspersky configuration settings and I did, but I still believe those applications are blocked.

I need help trying to figure out where I go to unblock those please.

Here is an copy/paste of part of event log the day that I accidently blocked them, when I had registry guard on...

I have about 8 or 9 of these that I blocked - here's an example of 2 listed below:

Thank you!

----------------------------------------------

10/1/2008 1:39:13 PM Process C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\msn.exe (PID: 2360): suspicious action. Attempt to delete security settings on the Internet (key HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-4218986156-814313531-2822107638-1010\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\//@signup.mar@/, value msn, data 0x00000000 (0)).

10/1/2008 1:39:51 PM Process C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\msn.exe (PID: 2360): attempt to delete security settings on the Internet (key HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-4218986156-814313531-2822107638-1010\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\//@signup.mar@/, value msn, data 0x00000000 (0)) was blocked.

10/1/2008 1:39:51 PM Process C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\msn.exe (PID: 2360): suspicious action. Attempt to delete security settings on the Internet (key HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-4218986156-814313531-2822107638-1010\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\//@mail.mar@/, value msn, data 0x00000001 (1)).

10/1/2008 1:40:08 PM Process C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\msn.exe (PID: 2360): attempt to delete security settings on the Internet (key HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-4218986156-814313531-2822107638-1010\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\//@mail.mar@/, value msn, data 0x00000001 (1)) was blocked.

Forgot to add - when I looked at registry guard settings by groups, I do not see anything marked as blocked.

I also am not even seeing the rule or group that these blocked ones belong to. (Is this right place?)

Do they have to be created now?

What I do get when I log into my Verizon MSN is my MSN home page & mail, but attempts to go to websites

throw me into MSN's live search screen instead, or blank page.

It's very frustrating trying to figure this out.

Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.