Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
koray

SPYBOT AND KASPERSKY

22 posts in this topic

I'm it tech in manhattan newyork and I order kaspersky internet security or anti-virus for my customers all the time 8.0.0.454. My customers also get a lot of spyware in to their computer and spybot was the solution for me I was running every 2 week automatic spybot removal.

When I install Kaspersky, it is forcing me to remove the spybot. It is unacceptable for me. kaspersky anti-spam is not strong like spybot. I would like to use it.

Spybot community also loves kaspersky. You guys are need to fix this problem with spybot in next version.

Edited by KORAY

why doesn't spybot fix the problem with kaspersky in the next version ;)

if you want to install spybot here you go, but you do it at your own risk: http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279779

kaspersky anti-spam and spybot do two different things.

Spybot had the code first!?!

Seems Kaspersky is the aggressor in this case.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t...light=kaspersky

Edited by chpalmer

lets put it this wqay moderator. whne you install the spybot it doesnt say remove the kaspersky. whne you install the kaspersky it says remove the spybot or i wont install tat is the reason that you guys need to fix it..

reason why kaspersky should do it.

1) kaseprsky more professional company they should connect spybot and fix the problem. you need to be compatible the many programs

2) I buy this kaspersky with money spybot is free :)

3) Spybot commnuity all uses kasperksy. They also say in the forums don't use norton mcafee or something else kaspersky is the best. I personally find kasperksy from that forum. You can't ignore good community.

thanks for the topics guys this will solve my problem for now.

Edited by KORAY

the problem is with the registry blocker aka tea timer, it conflicts because kaspersky has one of its own too.

Than you should inform the user while installing kav/kis about that and make it possible to deactivate ether the registry blocker of kav/kis or that of spybot instead of uninstalling a app.. If you work together with spybot there is surely a way so your setup can check if the tea time of spybot is activated or not.. And so on.. If there is a will there will be a way :P

Edited by TheUntouchable

the problem is, no one will read it and will just lcick yes, next, whatever and complain to support that it crashes etc. unless you enforce a removal policy you would have users simply ignoring it

Thats why i said that the setup of kav/kis should check if the tea timer is activated or not and let the user than decide if he wants to use the registry blocker of kav/kis or of spybot when the one of spybot is activated.

WHY does it always have to be Kaspersky that should change to accommodate other products and incompatibilities?

Surely Kaspersky are giving options that other products do not give, by giving the option to ignore or uninstall any potential incompatibilites through the different installation methods.

Its about time people started complaining to the other vendors instead of moaning continually on here, and ignoring the advise and suggestions given by the moderators and experts on this forum.

These guys are not Kaspersky employees, they are normal people like you and I, who are trying to help others in their spare time, for the betterment of the products.

The only potential way to avoid incompatibilities would be to have only ONE software vendor period! Whilst I know everyone loves Microsoft.............we all want choices, don't we? So let be reallistic.

But the options to install them both have already been provided. Its true that many vendors attempt to protect multiple attack vectors, and sometimes those efforts do clash. If you say Kaspersky Labs is not cooperating with other vendors, than I say you dont have your facts straight :)

if i understand correctly you just get spybot to do a scan every two weeks. why not compliiment kis2009 with superantispyware? its a free antispyware on demand application. much better detection and removal than spybot.

spybot is old hat and is pretty useless these days. superantispyware and malwarebytes antimalware are the new programs to use. much better at detecting and removing the new tough to remove malware.

btw i assume in kaspersky you tick the other programs box? under settings,threats an exclusions,threats settings and tick the other programs box. sometimes spyware and adware come under that catogorie.

any idea how the users normally manage to get the spyware? maybe by activex in internet explorer?

Edited by lodore

if i understand correctly you just get spybot to do a scan every two weeks. why not compliiment kis2009 with superantispyware? its a free antispyware on demand application. much better detection and removal than spybot.

spybot is old hat and is pretty useless these days. superantispyware and malwarebytes antimalware are the new programs to use. much better at detecting and removing the new tough to remove malware.

Well, that is sad. Because now you are just spitballing and just throwing in other anti-malware products to "replace" Spybot, so Kaspersky will play well. There should be no problems between Kaspersky anti-virus and Spybot-Search&Destroy.

Just give me a brief explanation of how Kaspersky has much "better" detection than Spybot? Kaspersky is a anti-virus application. Not a anti-spyware.

why doesn't spybot fix the problem with kaspersky in the next version ;)kaspersky anti-spam and spybot do two different things.

Wasn't Kaspersky the first one to prompt? TeaTimer is not a "anti-spam" function, but a registry monitor. Call it your watchdog. It does not intervene, nor does it hinder the working any other application. It's neutral. Who ever mentioned anything of a spam filter?

It feels like to me that you are scoffing at Spybot, just to eliminate competition.

I'm not in a way, "taking" sides but I'm expressing my opinion.

-

It is your choice whether you continue to use a product that employs this type of anticompetitive behaviour or whether you vote with your feet and dump it in favour or another product. Whilst people continue to use the product there is no incentive for them to change.

There is no way I would uninstall a product of my choice in order to accomodate them.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=33577

Wasn't Kaspersky the first one to prompt? TeaTimer is not a "anti-spam" function, but a registry monitor. Call it your watchdog. It does not intervene, nor does it hinder the working any other application. It's neutral. Who ever mentioned anything of a spam filter?

first post? and kaspersky has a registry monitor, that's why it hinders.

first post? and kaspersky has a registry monitor, that's why it hinders.

I don't see how it will conflict with TeaTimer either.

It'd be great if I could get a response to the rest of my post, not just one sentence thanks. :post-7989-1194626071:

<_<

let's put it like this, you have traffic cops directing traffic at the same point, each one in his different way. in version 7 when the removal policy was not enforces, there were reported interimtent freezings because of Teatimer.

Edited by Lucian Bara

Well, that is sad. Because now you are just spitballing and just throwing in other anti-malware products to "replace" Spybot, so Kaspersky will play well.

Just give me a brief explanation of how Kaspersky has much "better" detection than Spybot? Kaspersky is a anti-virus application. Not a anti-spyware.

It feels like to me that you are scoffing at Spybot, just to eliminate competition.

Yeah, but I would still want some answers to the quote above. To me, it seems that you're avoiding me.

Right, now Kaspersky is forcing Spybot users to remove Spybot just so Kaspersky can play well.

Alright, to the point. Lucian Bara, what does the Kaspersky registry "monitor" do exactly? Is it similar to TeaTimer? Have you even tried using Spybot-Search&Destroy yet?

-

in version 7 when the removal policy was not enforces, there were reported interimtent freezings because of Teatimer.

Alright. How about Version 8? Was there still "reports" of freezing when the policy was enforced?

Hmmm...drragostea

1. Nobody is saying you can't use Spybot (you obviously like it), but using it with TeaTimer is a bit like asking for trouble ....... two of the the same is like two AV's not being a good thing. Besides the proactive part of Kaspersky is more conprehensive anyway, but sure you can use it as a scanner if you still feel it has value to you....

2. There has been several times where TeaTimer has blocked things it shouldn't and thats part of the reason it will be recommended here to not use that part of Spybot with Kaspersky.

3. This will not turn into a endless Spybot contra Kaspersky flamewar, you can disagree with our recommendation, but we will just have to disagree then.

Well, that is sad. Because now you are just spitballing and just throwing in other anti-malware products to "replace" Spybot, so Kaspersky will play well. There should be no problems between Kaspersky anti-virus and Spybot-Search&Destroy.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=33577

Kaspersky is both antispyware and antivirus with a detection rating of about 94-97% simply put spybot cannot equal that in tests, it was a once great app, it no longer is, Superantispyware and malwarebytes both have higher detection ratings than spybot and will deal with things like Windows antivirus 2008. The signatures for antispyware are linked to the antivirus engine in Kaspersky, go look at AV comparatives to see for yourself, Spybot SD used to be a great program but there are now simply better free products on the market for the occastional on demand scans, most competent AV's now have great antispyware abliity built in.

Edited by Killhippie

Hmmm...drragostea

1. Nobody is saying you can't use Spybot (you obviously like it), but using it with TeaTimer is a bit like asking for trouble ....... two of the the same is like two AV's not being a good thing. Besides the proactive part of Kaspersky is more conprehensive anyway, but sure you can use it as a scanner if you still feel it has value to you....

2. There has been several times where TeaTimer has blocked things it shouldn't and thats part of the reason it will be recommended here to not use that part of Spybot with Kaspersky.

3. This will not turn into a endless Spybot contra Kaspersky flamewar, you can disagree with our recommendation, but we will just have to disagree then.

1. Don, Kaspersky is saying you(the user+Spybot installed) cannot use Spybot. You can say that I'm a Spybot fan but, but what I'm doing is defending Spybot because what I see in my perspective is not exactly fair. TeaTimer does not intervene with anything else and prompts every single time, unless you are using it's LASSHes based black&white lists (introduced in 1.6). TeaTimer will not... like "choose" for you automatically.

-

Look, there should be no problem with no registry monitors co-existing. They both do not have real-time protection. They may be Resident Shields, but they do not work like a usually AV. Example: Open a malicious .exe, and your AV prompts you instantaneously with the Resident Shield. So Don, you can't say it's like two anti-virus programs.

I've used the Kaspersky Online Scanner via IE before, and it was satisfactory. Thing is that it scans and does not remove (I'm perfectly fine with that) : ).

Can you briefly explain how Kaspersky is more "comprehensive"?

Most important question is that: How you even tested Spybot and Kaspersky together? Like on a test machine or at home? You don't know if they play well. But I'm sure they do. I may be wrong, but I'm betting that there should be no problems. To me, you're just drawing conclusions based on other user's comments/experience (Eg: Kaspersky is incompatible with Spybot).

3. No it will not. But I just want a honest, straightforward response. Yes, that is a recommendation... but Kaspersky forcing it on the clients? No it sounds like a mandatory enforcement. Recommendation is to suggest to improve. You're just forcing to uninstall to what?... eliminate competition?

Alright: What if Spybot is installed w/o TeaTimer? It wouldn't be incompatible now, would it?

Edited by drragostea

No, it's not to eliminate "the competition"....................because there is none between Kaspersky & Spybot. Kaspersky is a full anti-virus you pay for which also has a proactive defense/& HIPS as well in KIS, Spybot is a free adware scanner with limited detection....if you don't believe that either then check practicly any antispyware test it has participated in the last 2-3 years. Yes i have certainly used it at home.............there is not a chance that i would use it anymore though.... use to aback in the day, but time has passed it by....doesn't mean it can't be used and be helpfull to some users using a freeware anti-virus for example. However there are other free choices better with regards to todays adware.

I'm not trying to discredit Spybot, it certainly had a purpose at a point and was together with Ad-aware basicly your only choice back when adware started to annoy users......until others saw the idea and made better programs .....some free...most payware...while those two were sleeping/changing owners/close to closing shop. It happens al the time

Yes, like already mentioned, sure you can use it without TeaTimer. Anyway, i think we covered as much as we should here in the Kaspersky user forum about Spybot, enough for anyone to make up their own mind pro/contra. :)

Alright: What if Spybot is installed w/o TeaTimer? It wouldn't be incompatible now, would it?

It still sounds vague and unanswered.

Even if Spybot (just the scanning function w/o Resident Shields) was installed on a Kaspersky AV protected computer, Kaspersky will deem Spybot "incompatible" and still force the user to uninstall, even if the user still wants Spybot as a simple scanner.

why doesn't spybot fix the problem with kaspersky in the next version ;)

You know... Bara, Kaspersky should "upgrade" or tweak it's code first. I don't think you see it... The problem does not lie within Spybot. Alright, so what if Spybot upgrades to the next version? Spybot is still Spybot. Kaspersky seems Spybot then prompts the come all over again.

Don, alright. Kaspersky has it's ultra proactive defense/HIP protection. So what? It doesn't mean it can't co-exist with TeaTimer.

I'm saying this again. I really do not see how two active Registry Monitors can conflict. Really. There're not real-time protection like opening a "malware.exe" like I said before.

-

Okay the removal policy is not to eliminate competition like you said... but surely what do you achieve by removing Spybot?

I'm will continue to ask to the end. I want a satisfactory response. I mean what do you achieve by removing Spybot? How are there conflicts? In this entire thread, I haven't see you report or summarize your experience or testing with Kaspersky and Spybot together.

Actually... we won't be going down that path.

Two plus people have taken their time to (try) and explain to you why/what/where, how to bypass the product check if you want to etc, and you still insist on pushing your own view/argument/objection. Kaspersky has decided spybot should be removed in order for the correct operation of it's products.... that is their desicion and they have their reasons for it.

As it stands, nothing is going to be modified any time soon. If the spybot developers have a serious concern they can contact Kaspersky directly and the two companies can liase to come to a satisfactory conclusion..... however, going over the same points over and over again on this forum will do nothing apart from create arguments/flamewars and therefore this thread is now closed.