atlana

which 'e-mail client' in the multi-pack?

ahoy peers,

i just renewed our corp's kaspersky "multi-package" KAV SB for Windows 1-FileServer + 10-Workstation + 10-MailBox Multi Pack (key) (#300027198) 1 Unit against some minor doubts of my boss B) but since Kaspersky kept our butts squeaky-clean, i got green light to renew it.

Even though we had some issues (at times the network was bogged down for some unknown reason, randomly. am still investigationg it, but that'll be another thread on this board)

my question here is: what type of program/module does this "multi-tier" package use for scanning the email boxes, and WHERE does it scan them? locally at the workstation or within the servers email-server program (in my case exchangeserver 2003 within the windows 2003 SBS).

is it PART of the server-/workstation-scanner KAV-main exec, or is it Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Microsoft Exchange Server, or is it Kaspersky Security for Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, or is it Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Sendmail with Milter API ?

since except for the KAV sendmail w. Milter API, they're all version 5.5 - but when i look at my servers and workstations KAV version-properties it all shows version 5.0.xxx

can please somebody enlighten me ? ;)

thx

cheers

@

The ten mailbox part of the multipack allows you to install Kav for Exchange (if appropriate - sounds like it is from your email) on your Exchange server thus protecting email before it is rcvd by your Exchange Server. The Kav Workstation software includes a mail scanner that will also scan workstation user's incoming (and outgoing if desired) email. A bit redundant maybe, but many times customers will turn off KAV Exchange's scanning of attachments to maintain the performance of the mail server as scanning large attachments on the server can be costly and easily deferred to the workstation. Even if an infected attachment was never scanned by KAV for Exchange or the mail scanner on the workstation, if real-time file protection were enabled, when the user goes to open the infected attachment KAV would catch it there.

Mike

P.S. Make sure the network slowdown is not a result of redundant scanning of network drives.

ya know...digging in the old, original download files, you're right, there was an exchange-server KAV exec ;)

as for your 'possible redundant networkdrive scanning' from the clients, might have a point, i havent thought about it and have to investigate, since every workstation has ~5-7 shortcut'd/mapped network-drives, could be that each workstation KAV is scanning them through all the time when accessed....

thx for the nudge B)

cheers

@

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.