DeputyDawg

Kaspersky vs. Zone Alarm

23 posts in this topic

Any documents out there which compare Kaspersky Internet Suite vs. Zone Alarm Security suite

Looking for the major advantages/disadvantages of one vs. the other

Not a huge fan of zone alarm. Trying to justify going to KIS.

One BIG issue (just posted) was that emails marked as spam will have their subject altered to add [spam] in front of the subject

Thanks

There a lot of security suites comparatives, just "google" it and you'll find many results..., you'll find out that KIS is definitely better...

I have used zonealarm pro (firewall only) and KA then switched to KIS, KIS is better and less issues overall.

krishan

I'll ditto krishancanaq. Also, the newer versions of KAV and KIS don't play well with ZA anymore. I've been very happy with KIS 7...325 and have no other antimalware programs on my computer. If you decide to go with KIS there is a learning curve and you need to be patient. Come here for help if needed. KIS has a nice long trial period with a complete program. If you switch make sure to TOTALLY remove any remnants of past programs. Refer to this link for help in this area: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=5233.

My understanding is that ZA Suite and ZA Antivirus use KAV for the AV engine. :)

There a lot of security suites comparatives, just "google" it and you'll find many results..., you'll find out that KIS is definitely better...

I did google. I found a lot but not much specifically Kaspersky vs. Zone Alarm

On Kaspersky's page they have a comparison chart, but ZA isn't on there.

What are some of the (few) MAJOR advantages and disadvantages of Kaspersy over Zone Alarm

Thanks

I've never used ZA's suite, I have used ZA free firewall before and it used a lot of resources.

In my opinion the advantage of KIS over ZA would be the resource usage.

KIS is very easy on my system and has great protection. KIS has frequent updates for definitions also. You can set it to update every few minutes or every hour, etc.

KIS is excellent protection. The best way to find out if KIS is for you is to download it and see for yourself how great it really is. :)

the newer versions of KAV and KIS don't play well with ZA anymore.

Well, in the changelog for the 2nd-to-most-recent ZoneAlarm update, they tossed in this line;

"Free ZoneAlarm firewall and ZoneAlarm Pro can now co-exist with Kaspersky AV"

Only problem is, they seem to have left out KIS with co-existence issues... recently I've been having an issue where if I have KIS running with ZoneAlarm, and I try to sign into Windows Live Messenger, the system BSODs with code 0xC2, and a reference in the debugger to a ZoneAlarm driver. It's kinda sickening to me, really.

Of course they left out KIS....................it's the suite and already has a firewall, never use two firewalls..........you will only see issues.

Well, that's what I'm wondering here now so I can resolve it; is ZA's firewall better, or is KIS's?

Well, that's what I'm wondering here now so I can resolve it; is ZA's firewall better, or is KIS's?

Obvius you dont get the answer right here refering too your question "Firewall:ZA better or KIS" wich is understandeble what do you think they will tell you if you do get a answer ? ...Right

My experience whith KIS are good and the full online support tells me that theyre always working too improve theyre products and help theyre customers and everyone who has questions correct me if im wrong.

Obvius you dont get the answer right here refering too your question "Firewall:ZA better or KIS" wich is understandeble what do you think they will tell you if you do get a answer ? ...Right

I asked because not everyone here is biased like you seem to think. I've had an equally good experience between ZoneAlarm and KIS's firewall, so I'm not biased either. Still waiting on a good answer.

I think they are both top FW's, personally i go with what works flawlessly.................and in my case that is the full suite meaning not having to tweak anything. I would try the 2009 version before you make a decision about which to go with since the FW in it is much improved and extremely easy to configure....for normally used apps you don't have to do a thing at all, they are preconfigured.

A question about the 2009 version, then; right now it's in Technical Release form, how close is that to the final release?

A question about the 2009 version, then; right now it's in Technical Release form, how close is that to the final release?

It's the version they most likely will put in the boxes..................the only reason they don't release on the website officially is that marketing need to plan the correct moment, staff has to be trained, material published etc etc, this takes time. If you install it then you only have this forum for support.......since it is not out officially, i have used ot for some time now as many other testers have.

Judging from what you said there, would it be safe to assume that the official release is coming soon, then?

Edited by That other guy

Judging from what you said there, would it be safe to assume that the official release it coming soon, then?

It depends on what anyone thinks is "soon", it will be around June from the info we have right now and that would tie in nicely with the 7.0 release which was also just over a month after the developers released the tech release.

Sounds good, then. Apologies to DeputyDawg for shifting focus like that, unless you have your justification now.

Sounds good, then. Apologies to DeputyDawg for shifting focus like that, unless you have your justification now.

Thanks All,

I think I will put on the trial this weekend and see how it is. Sounds like I don't have to uninstall ZA (just exit out) and run KIS.

One other unrelated question to this thread but still related to KIS - how is their support if I should need it. Needless to say ZA's support

is, well I was told not to say something bad about people so... (read in between the lines).. hehehe

Thanks

Thanks All,

I think I will put on the trial this weekend and see how it is. Sounds like I don't have to uninstall ZA (just exit out) and run KIS.

One other unrelated question to this thread but still related to KIS - how is their support if I should need it. Needless to say ZA's support

is, well I was told not to say something bad about people so... (read in between the lines).. hehehe

Thanks

You probably will need to uninstall ZA and you should follow the uninstall directions on the ZA forum site for a complete uninstall. Unless something has been changed, when you start to install KIS it will tell you it doesn't play well with ZA. Also, you shouldn't have two firewalls on your system. Just exiting ZA will not resolve this. I've recently switched from KAV 7 and ZA Pro to KIS and am very pleased with it. But be patient, there is a learning curve. You can always come here for help. As to Kaspersky support, I am pleased with it, but as we are human you'll also see other views. I've found this forum a great place to come to solve problems.

Thanks All,

Thanks

You absolutely have to uninstall ZA if you plan on using/trying KIS, uninstall it, reboot and it wouldn't hurt to hunt down the leftovers:http://www.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/...stallNonNT.html before you start the install. :)

Just to add my thoughts I previously had Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite installed. After numerous problems I gave up on it mid licence and changed to Kaspersky Internet Suite.

I would uninstall Zone alarm first, as on my system it still runs in the background even if turned off, this was one of the reasons I gave up on it because it was blocking access to a diagnostic cable I use even with the firewall disabled (not sure if it is the same on the free version).

I had a couple of issues with Kaspersky at the beginning which required KIS user support (Lexmark printer problem) the problem was resolved very easily after a couple of emails without too much delay and this was over the holiday season.

It was not an instantaneous response but an effective one and a lot better than some other companies I could mention and as stated it was over the Christmas period so overall I was happy with the outcome.

I personally use to used Zone alarm firewall with KAV, Zone alarm is a good firewall just that if you want the suite i don't recommend it since there spyware+antivirus detection isn't any good compare to KAV and that it can be a resource hogger. While KIS has it's disadvangtage like any other vendors they do too. KIS firewall for beginners setting, it doesn't block most of the things i need it to block like people trying to access your network most of the time is slipped through. That why i never recommend a suite since it always has flaws in it. I personally user a firewall vendor and a antivirus vendor for the lack of better protection. I'm not putting KIS down, since there is no perfect antivirus or firewall everybody has it's cons and pros. Since i know kaspersky is leaning more toward antivirus than firewalls making. Anyways i hope that help.