KIS was working GREAT until a few hours ago...then I went to burn off a DVD, and I lost complete control of my system. I allowed it to run in this state as I was still seeing HD access and burner acitivty, and Nero seemed to complete the burn OK, but I have yet to check if the burn is good. Anyway, I had to hard restart, and on startup, kaspersky asks me to submit logs because it encountered a problem....forget the fact that I cannot even click send, because Kaspersky has locked my system up.

So, every time I started, KIS would lock up when it ran update. Only solution was to keep it from startup up at all. Any ideas? Where would I find the log files it wanted to send?

Using Vista 64bit.

Edited by rampantandroid

Any ideas......First one to pop up is cleanliness of install. Was your current build/version installed on top of a Beta or previous version or Zone or older A-V that did not have removal tool applied?

Same here, vista 64 ultimate, KIS 7.0.xx.125 .. Seems to be stuck in a crash/dump/crash state. Almost impossible to regain control of the system. Started tonight ~7:11pm Central Time..

My install was a fresh install. KIS 7 was working fine for a few weeks now until this evening.

I think one of the updates went fubar...

Edited by jsolo

Not limited to 64 bit systems - I am running Premium 32, and I have just restored to an earlier date to stop the window cycling over and over.

As we cant get into the program to turn self defence off, we cant stop the processes in task manager wacko.gif

Definately seems like a bad update, as other posts are complaining about the same problem with version 6

Jerry

Any ideas......First one to pop up is cleanliness of install. Was your current build/version installed on top of a Beta or previous version or Zone or older A-V that did not have removal tool applied?

416176[/snapback]

Clean install of Vista as well as a clean install of KIS. No other AV or firewall software, save that which comes integrated with Vista.

To all others...go into safe mode via F8, stop Kaspersky from starting with the computer. If this is a bad update, Kaspersky needs some new QA people...

Perhaps it's time to disable the auto update and leave it at manual.

Prior to doing an update (just like with the windows updates), perform a full system image/backup.

Takes more time, updates are not as current, but the failsafe is there. If the update screws up, you can go back to previous very easily.

This has happened not too long ago in the past. An update was broken causing kis to crash.

I suspect because it's a weekend, we're not hearing from many others [yet].

Edited by jsolo

Rampant

Were you experiencing severe slowdown in the system when this all started to go wrong?

Windows taking ages to open, button clicking ineffective etc?

Jerry

Rampant

Were you experiencing severe slowdown in the system when this all started to go wrong?

Windows taking ages to open, button clicking ineffective etc?

Jerry

416189[/snapback]

Jerry, yes to all of above.

Perhaps it's time to disable the auto update and leave it at manual.

That's just it. I can't. I can't do ANYTHING with KIS enabled. The second it opens, I get massive slowdown, cannot even alt-ctrl-del. Button clicks are not realized till a minute later, if not more....and this is on a quad core - KIS eats one of my cores, but the other four are idling.

I'm guessing uninstalling/reinstalling is a temp fix, till it pulls whatever update did this again.

Edited by rampantandroid

That's just it. I can't. I can't do ANYTHING with KIS enabled. The second it opens, I get massive slowdown, cannot even alt-ctrl-del. Button clicks are not realized till a minute later, if not more....and this is on a quad core - KIS eats one of my cores, but the other four are idling.

I'm guessing uninstalling/reinstalling is a temp fix, till it pulls whatever update did this again.

416202[/snapback]

Rampant, I meant once a fix is out for this. I had norton setup this way. Once a week I'd do a manual update after making a backup.

At this point I think we're stuck until a corrective update is released.

I took have a quad core (q6600/4qb/vista64), and between it creating its dump files and reloading, I can't do anything either.

I'm thinking whatever the fix, it will have to be applied manually given that kis can't even be executed at this point to apply any updates.

I wonder if the ftp sites have something more current, perhaps there is already a fix out. These guys are usually pretty fast at providing fixes to fuxups.. smile.gif

Ok,

Until the mods or other come in with a different solution, here's a fix that worked for me.

first, obtain the following

ftp://ftp.kaspersky.com/zips/av-i386&ids-daily.zip

If you're unable to gain control for the system long enough to disable self defense, you'll have to try the following in safe mode.

In between the crashes, I was able to click just fast enough to disable self defense, so didn't have to do this in safe mode. I did rename avp.exe and avp.com to something else so that it would stop the cycle, then used taskmgr to kill avp.exe processes (there were two).

The contents of the above zip file needs to be extracted to

C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP7\Bases

Overwriting the existing files.

Once done, launch KIS, and all should be well.

I didn't have to reboot either to get it going again.

I'm sure by monday someone from kasp will be here to point out a more detailed procedure, until then this will have to do.

Good luck!

Edit: The above paths are for vista. I don't believe xp is experiencing this problem...

Edited by jsolo

KIS was working GREAT until a few hours ago...then I went to burn off a DVD, and I lost complete control of my system. I allowed it to run in this state as I was still seeing HD access and burner acitivty, and Nero seemed to complete the burn OK, but I have yet to check if the burn is good. Anyway, I had to hard restart, and on startup, kaspersky asks me to submit logs because it encountered a problem....forget the fact that I cannot even click send, because Kaspersky has locked my system up.

So, every time I started, KIS would lock up when it ran update. Only solution was to keep it from startup up at all. Any ideas? Where would I find the log files it wanted to send?

Using Vista 64bit.

416172[/snapback]

Man the same thing happened to me using Vista 32bit. I was playing a game and then all of a sudden my computer froze. I shut down and then couldnt boot normally up so I went into safe mode. Once I tried to open KIS my computer locked up again. I booted up again in safe mode and I got a KIS popup about the previous launch failing/database was corrupted (or something like that) and instructed me to send the information to Kaspersky but my computer would lock up instantly and I couldnt sent the information.

To end the this long story short I had to uninstall KIS and then reinstall KIS before my computer would boot up normally again...

Mods, was there a bad update last night? I havent had any real problems with KIS until last night so it kinda caught me offguard...I thought I was infected with a virus or something. Good to hear I wasnt the only one with this problem...

Edited by Deluxe8520

Using Vista 64bit.

416172[/snapback]

I had a similar problem earlier today on Vista x64. I uninstalled KAV 7 for the time being and I'll give it another go tomorrow after setting a System Restore point.

I'm getting this error:

Faulting application avp.exe, version 7.0.0.125, time stamp 0x468375bd, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549bdc9, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000620e3, process id 0x9c8, application start time 0x01c7dc7c8b30000e.
(Vista 32 bit)

Workaround: Rollback to the previous databases

Edited by dsrk3r

Just to confirm for any KL chaps who might read this....

XP updates are fine, this appears to only be affecting Vista 32 and 64 bit versions

Jerry

Same thing happened here. Windows Vista Ultimate repeatedly crashed as KAV 7 was updating last night ... finally had to do Complete Windows Backup restore (ie restore an image) which rolled me back to KAV 6 which updated correctly to 8/11/07 at 10:32:03 PM EDT, so I suspect they corrected the corrupted update by then without posting any notice. System Restore didn't work, nor did attempted restart in Safe mode ... could not acces KAV to turn it off. I lost about 10 days worth of data and am VERY upset mad.gif This is unacceptable ... how can I ever trust KAV again!!!!

Same thing here. KIS was updating, then everything froze. Update never finished. Vista Home Premium. I could not even do a roll-back of KIS update. Finally got it turned off in safe mode, rebooted to normal and updated my KIS DB. Everything working fine now. Never saw anything like this, ever. mad.gif

Of course things happen. But where's an "official" statement! mellow.gif

same for me last night, i uninstall KIS and trying to install it today and well having problems now. Can't even get it to install.

Posted a topic with screen shot about it.

I have heard of several people with the same problem. I am running Vista Ultimate 32 bit.

I booted to the safe mode. Turn off all of Kaspersky on the program itself and in the msconfig - startup. Rebooted and then turned it all back on and the problem went away.

My computer (Vista + KIS) froze yesterday, too. Luckily, for me, a hard reset was all that was required to get things back to normal. I didn't think of Kaspersky as the culprit until now, when I read this thread. I just figured it was the operating system that hanged, but the symptoms fit right in with those described here.

Happened to me as well, it was the update at 19:00 EST yesterday. I fixed it by booting into safe mode with networking and updating KIS, the next update which was at 20:00 EST fixed the problem.

FYI, rhe rolling back the database feature did not work, it gave me an error stating it could not perform the rollback.

wink.gif

whew ... glad to hear others are having the same problem. this computer is one week old today! using vista home premium. About the same time others had problems yesterday, I began having the same problems. I tried preventing kaspersky from starting up but it would never take. this morning i did a repair of kaspersky and then an update during the installation. now things are working smoothly again.

windows vista home premium 32 bit

kaspersky 7.0.0.125

Well, I'll give a uninstall/reinstall a shot, then let it update. I'm rather annoyed that the QA people didn't catch this, and that no one was kind enough to send an email/post a announcement.

A very good friend had the same problem running KIS 7.0.0.125 and Vista Home 32bit BUT NOT the english version but the Greek one.

That happened Saturday night,and Sunday morning the Laptop was FROZEN.He could Do NOTHING AT ALL. Only enter in safe mode and NOTHING else.

He phoned me yesterday ( Sunday about 11 o'clock in the morning to make a Reformat to his Laptop).

Eh when he arrived to my home i turned on his Laptop and worked perfectly.Only in the events of KIS everything from Saturday untill the time that i Turned on his Laptop everything was RED.

I never understood what was happened.

In the other hand my Laptop with VISTA Home 32 bit English worked perfectly but only when i turned it on ON SUNDAY morning.

And i turned it off Saturday early in the evening (about 9 o'clock Greek Time).

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.