Sign in to follow this  
Lykoris

Removing KIS 6 and installing KIS 7

I'm leaving for two weeks of holidays this weekend and really want to do this before I come back as my one month trial period will have run out.

I've researched the forums to know exactly what to do (discouraged to do what I'm about to do as one individual lost internet access and as I have to do it offline I want to print this out before so I don't mess it up!)

So, do I buy now my license, activate 6.02 and then click on update to move to KIS version 7....125 or because it hasn't been officially released for Anglophones this won't work?

I also read I, think it was a reply Don posted to a thread that it is best to uninstall version 6.02 (but to keep the activation data, by activation data is that the license number in the in the license info tab under service??)

Also, by uninstalling 6.02, will I lose all my settings an time I've spent configuring it over the past week or so?

By uninstalling is it best done through add/remove programs in control panel OR Start, all programs, KIS 6.0, modify, repair, remove (I realise there is apparently no difference between the two but I want to avoid any problems like the plague, just want a trouble free transition)

And the most important part, Markovka mentioned the link to the download files so I took these files

1. kis7.0.0.125en.exe

2. setup.exe

3. kis.en.msi

I'm guessing that using the MS installer package is the equivalent of running the setup.exe which uses kis7.0.0.125en.exe?

so this is what I THINK I should do for the most troublefree upgrade.

1. Print these steps out

2. note the license number in my current one month KIS trial

3. uninstall KIS 6.02 through the start, all programs, KIS 6.0, modify, repair, remove

4. reboot if called for (I expect so)

5. create KIS folder in F:KIS and copy paste the kis.en.msi file there and then just run it.

6. Pray to whoever is listening that it runs smoothly.

7. Hopefully once it is up and running, buy the two year license and officially activate the product

Does this sound alright?????

Thanks for the settings, I've saved them to Desktop.

so from what you say, I should activate KIS 6.02 now, just noting the license number before installing 7.00125?? And then once 7 is up and running input the license number I bought and everything should be ok??

Yes, everything should be ok. Trial versions can't be upgraded, so buy the licence. As Lucian said, if you buy the licence, you can activate V7. After buying licence, your Trial Version 6 is full. Once your Full Version 6 is up and running, uninstall it, saving activation data. Then install V7 by executing the .exe that you downloaded and saved or by executing the setup.exe that you downloaded and saved in the same directory that you downloaded and saved the msi in. First step is to buy the licence.

Thanks a lot Rich, just one last question, can I buy it online from the U.K. paying in sterling with my visa although I live in Luxembourg?

I don't know about buying from another country while online. It might be easier to buy it online from the Kaspersky site that you log on to while in your country. Or buy the boxed version? Post back with how it goes, especially if you need clarification with anything. Licence key may even automaticaly enter into new install, but if not, it is easy to activate with your purchased licence. My 614 to 621 to 7.0.055 Beta to 7.0.0.119TR to 123 to 125 went so smooth on each one.........that I can hardly wait for 8 Beta. All this can't happen until you buy it first. EDIT: All this will can't happen for long unless you buy it. I didn't know trial versions could be upgraded to new version(as Lykoris is wanting to do) without activating with purchased licence!

Edited by richbuff

Thanks for the replies, I bought online a 2 year license for 90 odd EUR but won't get the license key for min 4 hours but no longer than 24 hours while it is being processed. Once I've activated it and done the above steps I'll let you know how it went.

At least I'll be able to answer some questions to one of my brothers and a good friend, both of which I've convinced to switch to KIS from McAfee as their licenses were running up (wasn't very difficult to convince either of them however removing McAfee from their systems was a 6 hour nightmare over the weekend via Skype)

Tks again,

L.

Thanks for the replies, I bought online a 2 year license for 90 odd EUR but won't get the license key for min 4 hours but no longer than 24 hours while it is being processed. Once I've activated it and done the above steps I'll let you know how it went.

At least I'll be able to answer some questions to one of my brothers and a good friend, both of which I've convinced to switch to KIS from McAfee as their licenses were running up (wasn't very difficult to convince either of them however removing McAfee from their systems was a 6 hour nightmare over the weekend via Skype)

Tks again,

L.

399663[/snapback]

McAfee removal does not have to be a nightmare, after normal uninstall with a reboot, run this tool: http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=408302 after that a good regcleaner won't hurt either.

for my friends version that tool helped but my brother had McAfee Enterprises 8.0 (which isn't a covered product for that tool) (it was an obligatory payment/installation forced on him by his university otherwise he wouldn't have internet access but as he graduated two weeks ago he wanted it off his system)

so we ended up following this removal guide for it

https://knowledge.mcafee.com/article/332/KB...SAL_Public.html

which worked apart from some files that wouldn't delete despite following the instructions to the letter and checking, rechecking so we went through DOS for those last ones.

it was a nightmare and only after all this would the installation package of KIS work as it no longer picked up any remnants of McAfee on his system.

Thats true the enterprise version can be daunting, but as long as you follow the directions it is relatively good way to make sure it's "clean". smile.gif

It all went very smoothly, no hiccups whatsoever and I must say I like the GUI of KIS 7.0.0.125 a lot!

Just one final question, in the event (as it has already happened once in the last 12 months) although I hope it doesn't happen over the next two years with KIS that I get an infection that leads me to reformat my drives, is installing the 7.0.0.125 download and putting in my product key enough for the product to be reactivated once again with updates etc.?

Yes, just save the code or key you used to activate to a USB/CD or floppy, the program you just download the the lastest version of from Kaspersky.com.

Great! I'll put them on my external hard drive.

Thanks a lot for everything!!

Great! I'll put them on my external hard drive.

Thanks a lot for everything!!

399805[/snapback]

Save the email too, so you have proof if you ever need assistance.............belt & suspenders! wink.gif

My Kaspersky 6.0 boxed edition code works fine with Kaspersky 7.0. I really like version 7.0 and I can't wait to see some tests to see how much the detection has improved over 6.0.

Edited by TrojanExterminator

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.