KennethS

Unhandled Exception Error

Howdy,

Yes, your suggested method brings me to the same screen with the same settings.

Also, the PST file, now compacted, works just fine, and far faster than before...

All the best,

Kenneth

can you just make it sure that the settings are the same if you go to settings tab -> user's tasks -> properties of the "scan my computer" task

UPDATE: and please make it sure that the compacted PST file is working normal. try to open few emails in it, and send and recive few test emails... i think that should be enought. normaly i would have no doubts about it, but since you scarred me with that info from microsoft... :)

Hey Don,

I am running the registry cleaner you suggested. I had run my other cleaner and it found nothing but a handful of dead keys which I deleted. Your suggested software has found 1023 Errors so far, and it is still running.

I will add that I am running in Normal mode...!!!

And so, a few questions:

Would you suggest that I choose to "Fix" or "Delete"?

Also, would you suggest that I try an "Aggressive" scan. Hey, if I do, I might have nothing left.

As before, very sincere thanks,

Kenneth

Just use normalmode and fix, because some things can be corrected, those that can't will be deleted, but use normalmode. Finding several hundreds is perfectly normal if the partition is a little old.

Oh, and btw the reason for the suggestion about windows script is because an Norton uninstall sometimes messes with this. :)

Hi Don,

All I can say is... "Whew!"

I'll keep you posted, but for now, assume that the folks in Moscow will have something exciting to offer shortly.

All the best,

Kenneth

Just use normalmode and fix, because some things can be corrected, those that can't will be deleted, but use normalmode. Finding several hundreds is perfectly normal if the partition is a little old.

Hi again,

I am making progress (of a sort...)

For some reason, up to now, I had not noticed that my scans on two machines were hanging with the same email message displayed. I deleted it, and indeed, the next scan progressed further, until that is, it found another email message that it did not like.

I believe that if I keep chipping away in this way, I will eventually be able to complete a scan.

But important questions remain:

Is this just the way KAV behaves? That is does it typically choke when it gets email messages it doesn't like?

Do others have this problem?

Is this not a serious fault?

Is there a work around?

Thanks for your comments,

Kenneth

Hi Don,

All I can say is... "Whew!"

I'll keep you posted, but for now, assume that the folks in Moscow will have something exciting to offer shortly.

All the best,

Kenneth

well it is i known problem and i am sure people at KL are doing everything to fix it but it seems it is not a simple fix thing since this problem is known for a long time.

in the latest version of kav they have add the option to exclude the email database scaning as a work around for this. but for a strange reasion this does not work for you (and few others).

if you search this forum for the "Unhandled Exception" you will see you are not alone.

I have never in the years i've used Kaspersky had a mail it couldn't scan, i have also never had Kav not responding to my tweaking of the settings.

What i have noticed is that previous installations of Norton will sometimes generate the most strange behavior. One thing i'm very sure of, is that you would not see a problem if this was a fresh install of the OS.

Lets see what support comes up with next week. :)

Howdy,

Thanks, as always, for your valuable comments,

Kenneth

well it is i known problem and i am sure people at KL are doing everything to fix it but it seems it is not a simple fix thing since this problem is known for a long time.

in the latest version of kav they have add the option to exclude the email database scaning as a work around for this. but for a strange reasion this does not work for you (and few others).

if you search this forum for the "Unhandled Exception" you will see you are not alone.

Hi Don,

This is, indeed, rather strange.

Apparently, as you have seen, this is a known issue.

My status, for now, is that I continue to chip away at it. Thus far, KAV has choked on 7 messages (and these all open fine.) There seems to be little to conntect them though they do seem to cluster in time. Of course, I have to remove them one at a time because I must run KAV in between to find the problem messages. I have noticed that often two of the problem messages have the same date on 'em.

I agree, it will be interesting next week...

All the best,

Kenneth

I have never in the years i've used Kaspersky had a mail it couldn't scan, i have also never had Kav not responding to my tweaking of the settings.

What i have noticed is that previous installations of Norton will sometimes generate the most strange behavior. One thing i'm very sure of, is that you would not see a problem if this was a fresh install of the OS.

Lets see what support comes up with next week. :)

Hello again,

Well, my fingers are bloody from "chipping away" at the PST file, and so I am trying another approach:

I created a new User Task and checked [] My Computer leaving [] Mail files un-checked.

This generates a few questions:

First, am I at risk if I don't scan mail files?

Next, also in the checklist were things like [] Hard Drives, and [] Startup Files.

I am assuming that by checking [] My Computer it will include all the necessary stuff. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Thanks,

Kenneth

Hi Don,

This is, indeed, rather strange.

Apparently, as you have seen, this is a known issue.

My status, for now, is that I continue to chip away at it. Thus far, KAV has choked on 7 messages (and these all open fine.) There seems to be little to conntect them though they do seem to cluster in time. Of course, I have to remove them one at a time because I must run KAV in between to find the problem messages. I have noticed that often two of the problem messages have the same date on 'em.

I agree, it will be interesting next week...

All the best,

Kenneth

Howdy,

Well friends, creating my own task that excludes mailfiles fails. I just ran the scan and it hangs up at a mail message (that is, just as all the others, apparently fine.) That one happens to be from L.L. Bean. I mentioned earlier that I can happily stop doing business with Amazon, but Bean? No way...! <g>

It's time to forget about all this and wait for my friends in Moscow to come up with something if they can.

All the best,

Kenneth

Hello again,

Well, my fingers are bloody from "chipping away" at the PST file, and so I am trying another approach:

I created a new User Task and checked [] My Computer leaving [] Mail files un-checked.

This generates a few questions:

First, am I at risk if I don't scan mail files?

Next, also in the checklist were things like [] Hard Drives, and [] Startup Files.

I am assuming that by checking [] My Computer it will include all the necessary stuff. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Thanks,

Kenneth

Sorry to jump in the fray again w/o having read every word of this now rather lengthy thread.

I have a few questions:

1. I thought I had read in this thread that Kenneth had successfully, manually scanned his .pst file(s). Is this true or false?

2. Have you captured a report file that includes all files successfully scanned before the exception error? If so, can you email me this report? mike@useice.com

3. Have you tried explicitly excluding the .pst file? By this I mean by full path, including file name? I have done this and seen that the file is then skipped. Dunno why your mask would not work, but I do not know a lot of things.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Responding in order:

1: I have not tried to manually scan only the PST File.

2: I have not captured a report file (knowingly) at all.

3: I have tried to exclude the PST in a variety of ways, but never with full path.

I will try all three, and get back to you.

Please accept my thanks,

Kenneth

Sorry to jump in the fray again w/o having read every word of this now rather lengthy thread.

I have a few questions:

1. I thought I had read in this thread that Kenneth had successfully, manually scanned his .pst file(s). Is this true or false?

2. Have you captured a report file that includes all files successfully scanned before the exception error? If so, can you email me this report? mike@useice.com

3. Have you tried explicitly excluding the .pst file? By this I mean by full path, including file name? I have done this and seen that the file is then skipped. Dunno why your mask would not work, but I do not know a lot of things.

Mike

Ken,

Make sure that before running the scan that you enable the feature to log all messages to the report file. To do this access the Additional Settings link under the Settings tab and click the appropriate box in the additional settings view.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I just tried a scan of the PST file alone. KAV hangs with the Unhandled Exception error.

Hi Mike,

Responding in order:

1: I have not tried to manually scan only the PST File.

2: I have not captured a report file (knowingly) at all.

3: I have tried to exclude the PST in a variety of ways, but never with full path.

I will try all three, and get back to you.

Please accept my thanks,

Kenneth

I am having the same exact problem as Kenneth. I am running 5.0.205 and can't seem to stop it from scanning the mail archives either.

I did find a post regarding a special 5.0.202 where you could set a registry key to avoid scanning the mail files, but this registry key doesn't seem to work under 5.0.205. :(

I'm really anxious to see what you hear from KL Kenneth.

In my situation, this is a brand new fresh install of the OS today. I just restored my .PST files from a backup. Once again... fresh install today: OS, Office 2003, and then KAV.

Hope we can figure this out.

-Jon

Hey Jon,

Whew... So I am not alone! That feels good (in a perverse sort of way.)

Of course, I will post here whatever I learn.

All the best,

Kenneth

I am having the same exact problem as Kenneth.  I am running 5.0.205 and can't seem to stop it from scanning the mail archives either.

I did find a post regarding a special 5.0.202 where you could set a registry key to avoid scanning the mail files, but this registry key doesn't seem to work under 5.0.205. :(

I'm really anxious to see what you hear from KL Kenneth.

In my situation, this is a brand new fresh install of the OS today.  I just restored my .PST files from a backup.  Once again... fresh install today: OS, Office 2003, and then KAV.

Hope we can figure this out.

-Jon

Hi again Mike,

I have six or eight PST files (archives for various years), I was assuming that I could specify those as *.PST, but with the complete path.

Is that what you are suggesting?

Thanks,

Kenneth

Okay, now enable the full message logging option, explicitly exclude the .pst file, and then run the scan to completion.

Elliot... I hope you are still reading/following this thread.

I did everything you suggested, but have the same problem.

I did a complete remove and reinstall of KAV and the .205 patch.

I tried scanning just my c:\windows directory, and this worked fine.

Doing a full scan still caused the unhandled exception on the PST emails.

Hope we have some luck on this....

-Jon

Elliot... I hope you are still reading/following this thread.

I did everything you suggested, but have the same problem.

I did a complete remove and reinstall of KAV and the .205 patch.

I tried scanning just my c:\windows directory, and this worked fine.

Doing a full scan still caused the unhandled exception on the PST emails.

Hope we have some luck on this....

-Jon

I've been looking into this problem a little more, It seems with the slightly older version 5.0.177, it doesn't have a problem excluding pst files. This may be an option. I'll update this thread as soon as i have more info. Thanks

-Elliot

Kaspersky Lab USA

Hello all,

Earlier in this thread I have mentioned that I would try excluding PST files (of which I have a bunch) with C:\fullpath\*.PST but, in fact, did the exclusions by listing each file with the full path by clicking on the file (Please see screenshot attached here). That also failed with the unhandled exception error.

Let's suppose (as per Elliot's comment) that we do come up with a way to exclude the PST files from the scan.

Would that be an appropriate (long term) solution? That is, would I not want to scan those PST files periodically?

Sincere thanks to all,

Kenneth

I've been looking into this problem a little more, It seems with the slightly older version 5.0.177, it doesn't have a problem excluding pst files.  This may be an option.  I'll update this thread as soon as i have more info.  Thanks

-Elliot

Kaspersky Lab USA

post-3589-1126187525.jpg

Do you have any .pst files in the What about the active .pst files in the C:\Documents and Settings\"USER"\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook folder?

Hi Mike,

I run Win 2000 Pro and the (precise) path you mention does not exist on my system.

That said, I have searched my system for *.PST and it comes up with the 8 PST files that I listed to be excluded.

I then searched for folders named Outlook, opened each, and simply looked for PST file. There are none.

To the best of my knowledge, the only PST files on this system are the eight in a folder called C:\Mailfiles.

Thanks for any further help,

Kenneth

Do you have any .pst files in the What about the active .pst files in the C:\Documents and Settings\"USER"\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook folder?

The not scanning .pst files is a viable long term solution. Viruses would be caught upon opening any old email that happens to still be in a pst file. Just make sure your real-time file protection is on.

Hi Elliot,

I thank you for your comment...

Now, we just have to figure out how to exclude 'em.

All the best,

Kenneth

The not scanning .pst files is a viable long term solution.  Viruses would be caught upon opening any old email that happens to still be in a pst file.  Just make sure your real-time file protection is on.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.