stevie129

Windows Server 2016 Backup Fail

Hello at all,

since mid February I got problems with the Windows Server 2016 Essentials Backup and Kaspersky Small Office Security 6 as mentioned in this article:

https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?/topic/408637-error-backup-windows-server-2016/

Windows is not able to get access to the EFI Partition for a bare metal backup. If I stop the avpui.exe by clicking in the taskbar, the backup runs normally.

Can I use the KSOS key for KES10 as well or is there another solution for KSOS?

Thank you!

Hello.

I have the exact same setup and issue. Pausing protection does not help.

I'm currently having the same issue. Backups started failing on February 21, 2018 while I was away on vacation.

We are running Windows Server 2012 R2 with Small Office Security 5.0-File Server.

If I pause Kaspersky, I'm not able to backup. If I exit out of Kaspersky, I'm able to backup.

Same question as above "Can I use the KSOS key for KES10 as well or is there another solution for KSOS?"

Hello, 

I've got exactly the same issue. Windows Server 2016 with KSOS19. 

The Server-Backup fails, if KSOS runs. Pausing KSOS has no effect. Only exiting KSOS makes the Backup work.

Am I wrong or is it  a little strange, that Kaspersky can's fix this? I mean ... KSOS is designed for Clients AND Servers, isn't it??

If not, does the KSOS-Key work for KES10?

Bye

Michael

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I contacted the technical support for KSOS and now I'm testing diffent situations (generating logs) to determine the origin of the problem.

While doing these steps, I just found out that the backup runs fine (with running KSOS) if it's performed right after a restart of KSOS or Windows.

I'll keep you guys updated...

Edited by stevie129

I'm getting the same thing when trying to run windows backups on server 2012r2. If I don't close Kaspersky it errors saying "Windows Backup failed to get an exclusive lock on the EFI system partition (ESP)". 

On 3/6/2019 at 10:00 AM, stevie129 said:

Hi,

I contacted the technical support for KSOS and now I'm testing diffent situations (generating logs) to determine the origin of the problem.

While doing these steps, I just found out that the backup runs fine (with running KSOS) if it's performed right after a restart of KSOS or Windows.

I'll keep you guys updated...

Hello,

Same result here directly after a restart of KSOS or windows the backup runs fine.

Got any updates from kaspersky support on workarounds or a fix?

vor 14 Stunden schrieb MagnusB:

Hello,

Same result here directly after a restart of KSOS or windows the backup runs fine.

Got any updates from kaspersky support on workarounds or a fix?

Not yet.

Is it possible to restart Kaspersky via PowerShell? As an automated task, it could be a workaround...

Hey!

I just received an email from Kaspersky support. Kaspersky is aware of the problem and the developers are currently trying to find a fix. (Bug No. 3280886)

Unfortunately there is no workaround so far.

So I will log in via remote every evening before the backup is scheduled to restart Kaspersky manually... :(

As an alternative (and if your Server isn't used at night) schedule a new task for an automated reboot via PowerShell right before the backup.

So long...

Hey Stevie129,

thanks for your reply. I hope that Kaspersky-Support is fixing this quickly with a inplace-Update and not just in the next KSOS-Version ... ;-)

Do you get a notification from the Kaspersky-Guys, when and how they fixed it?

Further, you wrote: "As an alternative (and if your Server isn't used at night) schedule a new task for an automated reboot via PowerShell right before the backup."

Why does this help? Is the problem not showing up directly after the server-start?

Greets,
Michael

Hi Michael,

idk if get any response from Kaspersky once the fixed the issue.

Last Wednesday I wrote: "While doing these steps, I just found out that the backup runs fine (with running KSOS) if it's performed right after a restart of KSOS or Windows."

So a "workaround" could be an automated restart as you can't restart Kaspersky (afaik Kaspersky blocks Powershell commands).

Greets,

stevie

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I just received an email with good news. Kaspersky developers found & fixed the issue.

It will be released with an automatic update in april.

If you don't want to wait you can use this channel

as the temporary update source. Deactivate the default update source and move the new entry to the top of the list. Now start the update manually.

Good luck,

stevie

Edited by richbuff
Del beta update link.

2 hours ago, stevie129 said:

Hi,

I just received an email with good news. Kaspersky developers found & fixed the issue.

It will be released with an automatic update in april.

If you don't want to wait you can use this channel

http://dnl-test-internal.kaspersky-labs.com/tim2

as the temporary update source. Deactivate the default update source and move the new entry to the top of the list. Now start the update manually.

Good luck,

stevie

You're a star! Thanks Stevie!

Hello,

I removed the beta link, because the usual beta test caveats were not posted. 

Please contact Tech Support to receive the instructions and the usual caveats that need to accompany any Beta Test links. 

Hi everyone, I had the same problem with a windwos server 2012 with KSOS version 19
I solved by creating a batch file stopping the service and restarting it at the end of the backup.

avm.com EXIT / password = ******** (KSOS must have management password)

at the end of the backup I restart the KSOS

avm.com START / password = ********

At the moment it is the only way to maintain protection on the server and perform backup
We await developments from Kaspersky

I hope it's useful :-)

ya me too having the same issue. please provide the solution to me also above given solution is not working for me.

Posted (edited)

Hello, 

thanks, you can easily STOP and START the KSOS with the avm.com command-line-tool, which you can usualy find here:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Small Office Security 19.0.0\avp.com"

I've turned on the Administration-Password in KSOS and then created two scheduled tasks on my Server 2016.

Argument for Task Nr. 1:

EXIT /password=************

Argument for Task Nr. 2:

START /password=************

My daily backup starts at 22:30, so i scheduled Task Nr. 1 before and Task Nr. 2 after the backup runs. Under this situation the backup works fine!

image.png.75b8d353987eb2128008231666be1e40.png

image.png.c74b42c8218fb9a3ffced81abad6c764.png

Greets,
Michael

Edited by baerworld

Am 17.3.2019 um 00:34 schrieb baerworld:

Hello, 

thanks, you can easily STOP and START the KSOS with the avm.com command-line-tool, which you can usualy find here:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Small Office Security 19.0.0\avp.com"

I've turned on the Administration-Password in KSOS and then created two scheduled tasks on my Server 2016.

Argument for Task Nr. 1:

EXIT /password=************

Argument for Task Nr. 2:

START /password=************

My daily backup starts at 22:30, so i scheduled Task Nr. 1 before and Task Nr. 2 after the backup runs. Under this situation the backup works fine!

image.png.75b8d353987eb2128008231666be1e40.png

image.png.c74b42c8218fb9a3ffced81abad6c764.png

Greets,
Michael

This is exactly the workaround I suggested! Perfect.

I'm still using the KSOS beta I mentioned above (link was removed by moderator) and it works fine without restarting KSOS.

Kaspersky support will get back to me, if they fix the problem in the regular version. So I'll let you know...