6p2xxs

How do I find out if I have the EU or the global version.

How do I find out if I have the EU or the global version. Its not in the About. And if I had whatever version would it matter if I installed the 'wrong' version over it?

When I open K I get the list of boxes such as Scan, Parental Control, Safe Money etc. At the bottom there are two icons. One is a gear wheel sand the other looks like a head with headphones and a microphone Click on that and it opens Kaspersky Lab Technical Support. On the top of that page it should tell you what version you are using and whether it is intended for Europe or not. Mine says it is not intended for Europe. Next to that statement there are the words "other versions" If you are in Europe you can presumably click on "other versions" and download the version meant for Europe

I hope this helps

mikethebike

On 2/24/2019 at 11:20 AM, mikethebike said:

When I open K I get the list of boxes such as Scan, Parental Control, Safe Money etc. At the bottom there are two icons. One is a gear wheel sand the other looks like a head with headphones and a microphone Click on that and it opens Kaspersky Lab Technical Support. On the top of that page it should tell you what version you are using and whether it is intended for Europe or not. Mine says it is not intended for Europe. Next to that statement there are the words "other versions" If you are in Europe you can presumably click on "other versions" and download the version meant for Europe

I hope this helps

mikethebike

Nice Tip! I never seen that before using K. Thanks Mike! :)

Posted (edited)
On 2/24/2019 at 7:20 PM, mikethebike said:

I hope this helps

mikethebike

Aah, thank you. I still think it should be in the about

Edited by 6p2xxs

I am located in the U.K. (currently "In Europe")!

I see no reference to my version of KIS (19.0.0.1088(d)) and the geographical area of use, as described in previous posts.

I suspect that "..... not intended for Europe....." Is a reference to GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) and perhaps, whether or not the various options in

Settings >Additional>Notifications are GDPR compliant.

It is my understanding that GDPR will continue in the U.K., and is not dependent on any In/Out Hard/Soft Brexit

Good luck to anyone who attempts to interpret GDP Regulations - nightmare!

22 hours ago, wgcuser said:

I am located in the U.K. (currently "In Europe")!

I see no reference to my version of KIS (19.0.0.1088(d)) and the geographical area of use, as described in previous posts.

I am puzzled about this. Are you saying that when you follow my directions you get to Kaspersky Lab Support but underneath there is no indication of your version and no comment on that version's intended or not intended area of use? It may be that you are unconcerned about this in which case OK and that can be the end of the matter but if you are concerned then if you describe what happens when you open K it might be possible to work out what is different from what I see.

A screen shot of what you see might be helpful. I should add that it was KIS that decided it was time to upgrade me to version 19. I had simply assumed that K's default position  was to load the non EU version for all but point out that the version it loaded was not intended for the EU so it then gave a link to "other versions" and relied on the user to install the EU compliant version if they wished

mikethebike

@mikethebike

I cannot remember if this version came as part of my renewed subscription (27.11.18) there is a setup(1).exe in my downloads close to renewal date.

My records show that I had been using a  19.0.0.1088 since 16.06.18 and it was downloaded by me. The (1) indicates a second download and probable re-install last November.

This is what I see when I follow your instructions:-

image.jpeg.6a3f460b1827bea35d59a166e5866ce4.jpeg 

Clicking the highlighted I read " Clicking this link opens the website from which you can download the application version that is intended for use in your region. This link is not available in all versions of the application". Further clicking does not seem to lead to any opportunity for downloading anything!!

The URL of this help page is:- https://help.kaspersky.com/KIS/2019/en-US/70155.htm

As I said earlier, I think the statements about an EU Version are to do with GDPR and the information that KL collects from its users, especially if they tick boxes in:-

Settings >Additional>Notifications

I think KL are NOT unique as far as software manufacturers are concerned when it comes to GDPR compliance, as fines for infringement can be heavy and they are just covering their backs.

I seem to recall when I saw EU version being mentioned last year, that I asked KL what it was all about - cannot remember if I got an answer - if I'm wrong, I apologise .

I don't really care what version I use. I was just curious in my OP if I could see somewhere which one it is. I'm in the UK and use the global version. Of course Kaspersky needs to cover their backs when it comes to GDPR. I really couldn't care less about it, I'm just happy that I use software that is very unlikely to have a backdoor to the NSA, GCHQ, BND etc. installed.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.