DIVERSE

Unable to manually resume protection after "Pause protection..." and then selecting the "1 minute" option.

To test whether Kaspersky Internet Security (version 19.x) might be interfering with my ability to correctly view *.CHM (help) files, I temporarily paused the protection by right-clicking the green-shield icon in my system tray and choosing "Pause protection...", and then selecting the "1 minute" option. 

My testing was complete in under 1 minute, so I thought it would be appropriate to manually resume the protection before the previously specified 1 minute duration had elapsed. 

However, the (now) red-shield icon in my system tray was entirely unresponsive.  I could not get any response at all by left-clicking, double-clicking or right-clicking.  Hence I was unable to manually resume protection after "Pause protection...". 

This seems inappropriate:  I elected to pause the protection, not pause the entire application.  For example, I should also be able to launch Tools such as the On-Screen Keyboard, to adjust the application's Settings, or Run a database update — all of which are also usually available from the context menu displayed upon right-clicking the system-tray icon, and which should work regardless of whether protection is active or paused. 

and then selecting the "1 minute" option. 

...and what happened after one minute? 

Hmmm, I wondered if it was worth 'stating the obvious'.  Well, maybe it wasn't obvious? 

Yes, after one minute the protection was automatically resumed, the icon in the system tray changed its colour back to green, and the icon was responsive again. 

If not, then surely I would have complained very loudly that pausing protection had permanently disabled it....

So, after temporarily pausing the protection by right-clicking the green-shield icon in your system tray and choosing "Pause protection...", and then selecting the "1 minute" option, you can not undo all this until the minute has elapsed. 

That, I now see, really is a topic. :)

If you were not able to get protection resumed after one minute that you chose, that would definitely be a topic.  

I assume that it applies to any time duration.  (But I haven't tested it.) 

First off I am interested to know whether others see the same behaviour, and whether this is by design or by accident. 

I am not seeing the same behavior.  Pausing for both 1-minute and 5-minutes still allows me to right-click the tray icon and access all features.  I can open the full application, perform a scan, update databases, launch the on-screen keyboard, etc.  Selecting Settings > Protection shows that File anti-virus, Web anti-virus, IM anti-virus, and Mail anti-virus are grayed out with a red warning message "Protection Paused".

What version do you have installed?  The latest version has a green shield in the system tray.

1 hour ago, dh27564 said:

I am not seeing the same behavior.  Pausing for both 1-minute and 5-minutes still allows me to right-click the tray icon and access all features.  I can open the full application, perform a scan, update databases, launch the on-screen keyboard, etc.  Selecting Settings > Protection shows that File anti-virus, Web anti-virus, IM anti-virus, and Mail anti-virus are grayed out with a red warning message "Protection Paused".

same for me, i can operate the aplication in that period of 1 or 5 minute(s) without any problems... i can also resume the protection in that period...

Edited by Gjoksi

It is strange:  I tried it again today (after restarting and shutting down the system a couple of times), and I too cannot reproduce the behaviour. 

Whereas previously when I paused the protection I got an unresponsive red shield icon in the system tray, this time when I paused the protection I got a responsive grey shield icon in the system tray, and was (this time) able to 'manually' resume protection before the nominated time had fully elapsed by simply right-clicking that grey shield icon and choosing "Resume protection". 

dh27564:  Yes, the shield icon in the system tray is always green for me too when protection is active (provided that databases are sufficiently up-to-date, I think). 

Thanks to dh27564 and Gjoksi for checking this out on their systems. 

Disclosure:  I have been having some erratic display problems on my laptop, but the above KIS behaviour doesn't/didn't seem to fall into the category of a "display problem". 
Well, besides a transient bug specific to my system, the only other thing I can think of is that Kaspersky itself patched this yesterday in one of the "Update of databases and application modules" I received. 

—DIV