I just installed Brave browser (got the installer exe from their website). In order to do this, I had to turn off KAV because it flags it as malware. Once I turn KAV back on, it removes Brave and rolls back the install, calling it malware. Can you please help?

99% certain it's not malware

Have either of you two tried to do an exclusion to the installer in Kaspersky Settings? Then maybe doing another one after it installs for its program folder or specific files?

Also and before trusting , please contact the Technical Support https://center.kaspersky.com
I fear that this issue is not resolvable on this Forum :

Object name: PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic    Object type: Trojan program

?  Malicious - FP - Clean ?

15 hours ago, plb4333 said:

Have either of you two tried to do an exclusion to the installer in Kaspersky Settings? Then maybe doing another one after it installs for its program folder or specific files?

I've tried making an exclusion for the downloaded installer but it creates another installer in a temp folder that actually does the installation and this is stopped and deleted by KIS 2019 before it finishes.

:) Agree with Berny this topic : Cannot be resolved on this forum

the file - Bravesetup.exe = Brave browser it's been flagged as 

malware, not only by kaspersky but for : Malwarebytes

Kaspersky, Comodo, Norton,.Etc. So install another

with better reputation like : Mozilla - Chrome

IExplorer-11 : Safari - Opera..SeeYa!

19 hours ago, berwhale said:

I've tried making an exclusion for the downloaded installer but it creates another installer in a temp folder that actually does the installation and this is stopped and deleted by KIS 2019 before it finishes.

Hello. The reason why I thought an exclusion might work is because MalwareBytes, specifically, used to flag this browser install as malware, but have since cleared it. Its no longer considered malware and I assume then that there's a file or 2 that's doing the flagging, but its not malicious. I'm not sure if there's other companies who have since updated their flagging of this, but since MalwareBytes did already, I'm sure there will be others who will clear the installer.

After reading the link given in the post above by kojo+oi, I have seen that Kaspersky had been notified of this a while back, but yet to get back to the users who filed the reports. (Another forum) I fully expect Kaspersky to clear this FP, as it really is...

I posted the same on the Brave browser forum, and someone responded that Kaspersky has been slow to process their whitelisting request, and that this is a false positive indeed. To the individual who suggested to install a browser with "better reputation", Brave is developed by the founder of Mozilla. Maybe Kaspersky needs to be responsive on this one.

Edited by freedomfries

49 minutes ago, freedomfries said:

I posted the same on the Brave browser forum, and someone responded that Kaspersky has been slow to process their whitelisting request, and that this is a false positive indeed. To the individual who suggested to install a browser with "better reputation", Brave is developed by the founder of Mozilla.

Hi, freedomfries, as well as your above post.

Thank you for this new information, yes Brave browser "auto updater" was the issue and is now is white-listed.

Quote:

To the individual who suggested to install a browser with "better reputation", Brave is developed by the founder of Mozilla.

I have been using the Brave browser for months next to Kaspersky antivirus without problems and today Kaspersky told me that it had found a trojan so I clicked on remove and it removed the Brave Internet browser from my computer.

I am trying to reinstall the Brave browser, the installation file is not detected as a virus by Kaspersky VirusDesk online but when I try to install it in my computer half way Kaspersky blocks it and it says it is a trojan.

Apparently Kaspersky is blocking the download from what it believes to be an infected installer, but I got the installer from the official Brave website.

Please fix this as currently it is impossible to install the Brave browser without disabling Kaspersky. Thank you.

Kaspersky1.jpg.b94b2347f2ccb9f80993fb72aafefbd9.jpg

Edited by yellowsub

On 12/23/2018 at 12:58 PM, kojo+oi said:

".... yes Brave browser "auto updater" was the issue and is now is white-listed"

On 12/23/2018 at 12:58 PM, kojo+oi said:

No it's not whitelisted, Kaspersky have not fixed this, despite multiple notifications from multiple Kaspersky/Brave users

BRAVE.png

BRAVE-251218.jpg

KTS19-BRAVE-DETECTION.png

To whom it may concern.

Okay we have tested Brave browser with Kaspersky internet Security 2019 on three computers.

Brave Browser works flawlessly with Kaspersky

We also scanned with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes, with no issues.

Brave Kaspersky Trust.PNGTo who it may concern.

Brave Browser.PNG

Brave Rep ok.PNG

Brave scan2.PNG

Brave Version.PNG

I have Kaspersky Internet Security 19.0.0.1088 (d) installed

For several times i tried to install Brave (new update chromium based) and it was impossible, KIS blocking installer or after install erasing Brave...

Any case, I found a way to keep new Brave (chromium based) working:
If I remember well, I went to manage apps rules of KIS allowing Brave and to settings of KIS changing to «Revert» if KIS blocked and erase an allowed aplication… But it was «hard» work…

12 hours ago, kojo+oi said:

To whom it may concern.

Okay we have tested Brave browser with Kaspersky internet Security 2019 on three computers.

Brave Browser works flawlessly with Kaspersky

We also scanned with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes, with no issues.

To who it may concern.

kojo+oi 

Sent: Wednesday, 26 December 2018 10:56

quote: "the issue has been fixed as the detection was a false positive."

I have now managed to install the Brave browser, perhaps is that I had to update my antivirus first, I am using the free version, I don´t know what it was but it is the same installer as before and this time it worked so I guess Kaspersky has fixed this.

17 hours ago, yellowsub said:

I have now managed to install the Brave browser, perhaps is that I had to update my antivirus first, I am using the free version, I don´t know what it was but it is the same installer as before and this time it worked so I guess Kaspersky has fixed this.

Yes, yellowsub

After months of denial Kaspersky Lab Technical Support have advised:

Sent: Wednesday, 26 December 2018 10:56

quote: "the issue has been fixedthe detection was a false positive."

This is really annoying, Kaspersky has removed again the Brave browser from my operating system saying it had detected a trojan horse so of course I clicked on Disinfect without knowing what it was.

I have downloaded again the browser from the official site but I am unable to re-install, the antivirus blocks it

It appears that every time Brave browser releases a new update Kaspersky will block it until reported and then whitelisted. This is not a permanten solution.

Asham-kaspersky1.jpg.bc87fbde0a9be932d2e768b33d023b4a.jpg

Edited by yellowsub

Yes that happened to me yesterday jan 11 2019

Today I uninstalled brave, cleaned out the registry etc.

Paused KIS 2019 and installed latest version brave as administrator

KIS does not complain at all now

Yesterday it detected the brave setup exe in windows/temp and warned of suspect behaviour

All sorted now

11 hours ago, yellowsub said:

This is really annoying, Kaspersky has removed again the Brave browser from my operating system saying it had detected a trojan horse so of course I clicked on Disinfect without knowing what it was.

I have downloaded again the browser from the official site but I am unable to re-install, the antivirus blocks it

It appears that every time Brave browser releases a new update Kaspersky will block it until reported and then whitelisted. This is not a permanten solution.

Yellowsub - yes, it is so annoying, especially as Kaspersky Lab Technical Support advised they'd fixed  it:

[From: Kaspersky Lab Support  Sent: Wednesday, 26 December 2018 10:56 quote: "the issue has been fixed, the detection was a false positive."]

I've re-logged the issue with Kaspersky, ref# INC000010042789.

I'd encourage every Kaspersky/Brave user "impacted" with this specific issue to also log an INC. 

I too can perform the Brave update by exiting KTS19, the point is: None of use should have to perform "manual" interventions when the lab have advised they've "fixed the issue"709104368_INC000010042789BraveKTS19preventsupdate.thumb.jpg.0984756f42bca4bcafc85770f25f7390.jpg901974826_INC000010042789BRAVEKTS19detectsblocksremovesclassifysasmalaware.thumb.jpg.31c44049e47fea1a1a5525568bd6c8f0.jpg.

INC000010042789[Brave] update [KTS19] detection[PDM Trojan.Win32.Generic].txt

I have now managed to installed the Brave browser with Kaspersky antivirus running, it appears to be fixed. We will see at the next update...

5 hours ago, yellowsub said:

I have now managed to installed the Brave browser with Kaspersky antivirus running, it appears to be fixed. We will see at the next update...

(I know you're using K "free", not sure which free product or version, how If you chk [your version] you shuld have a [Manage applications], filter on [Brave, expand >[Brave SFW INC] x 2, you'll see [K-your version] has learnt & applied [Trusted] status:

image.thumb.png.f855ec590bb6b991e528cd954535e70b.png

however, if you strip your system of [Brave], entirely, you'll find, the issue remains, has not been fixed, is replicable.

If, like me, you do not wish to do this, given, Kaspersky experts advised they'd fixed the issue as it was a [false positive] & as [Brave uses] we'd all like to use [Brave] without having a masters degree in "analysing" Kaspersky caused issues and enduring the gruelling ground-hog-day "re-convincing" Kaspersky Lab Technical Support  "the fixed issue has not been fixed" :(sigh, what-life:(

Edited by DLF-FG
spelling correction

I am using Kaspersky Free 19.0.0.1088 (d) which should be the latest version, and the manage applications filter is only available for paid users, I can´t see any of that..

The free Kaspersky antivirus works but it is very basic when it comes to filtering and things like that.

Ashampoo-kaspersky.jpg.8b5a1400492e1ede7d43fa472ddd29dd.jpg

11 hours ago, yellowsub said:

I am using Kaspersky Free 19.0.0.1088 (d) which should be the latest version, and the manage applications filter is only available for paid users, I can´t see any of that..

The free Kaspersky antivirus works but it is very basic when it comes to filtering and things like that.

Hello yellowsub,

Thanks for letting me know, as it turns out Kaspersky NEVER fixed the false positive, it's only taken them 21 days to get them to fess up!

What Kaspersky Lab Technical Support wrote/said:

Wed 26-December-2018, 10:56 [they (the "experts") have informed us (Kaspersky Lab Technical Support Level ?) that the issue has been fixed as the detection was a false positive.]

has now changed to:
Thursday, 17 January 2019 17:59: Initially the (Kaspersky "experts") did replicate the issue, a subsequent test they (the Kaspersky "experts") didn’t replicate the issue therefore, they (the Kaspersky "experts" concluded that its(sic) seems the issue is resolved)

NO, the issue: “[KTS19(d)] detecting Brave Installer as malware: PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic”,is NOT resolved , as all [Brave/Kaspersky] users affected by this issue know only too well.

They (Kaspersky Lab Technical Support) frequently "mis-speak", make dubious conclusions and appear oblivious to & unconcerned about/by the consequences to Kaspersky Customers.

& of course, because their test methodology is highly suspect & they deny there’s an issue, it’s up to us [Brave/Kaspersky] users, to prove it to them again! Even when we do provide dna proof they engage in the same ground-hog-day-merry-go-round, "there's nothing wrong with Kaspersky sfw, it's due to you/Brave/G_d", anything but K sfw:(:blink::wacko:

Malawarebytes fixed detecting [Brave Installer as malware: PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic] in 1 (ONE) day, BECAUSE they totally knew it was/is a false positive...

Wonder how long it will take Kaspersky to "twig"?

Back to the drawing board....

Hello,

I tried to reproduce the problem on my test PC, downloaded the last version of Brave browser: 1.3.99.0 from: https://brave.com/

installed, but the problem did not reproduce. Probably it was a false detection, which has already been fixed.

If anyone still has this issue, please create the request via https://my.kaspersky.com/

Please provide the following data to us:

1. Setup.exe file of Brave browser in archive with password: virus.

2. GSI-report: https://support.kaspersky.com/3632

3. Traces with the detection reproduction: https://support.kaspersky.com/14550

Thank you.