Artie7077

$ days plus 2 hours -waiting for full scan to finish no end in sight

I have been waiting for the full scan to finish, but there is no sign of it happening. Since Total Security does not show the individual files scan progress, I cannot tell what has or has not been scanned. I do have three external hard drives connected so it might be one of those. Again, I cannot tell given the lack of info mentioned above. 2,848,400 files scanned in 4 days plus 2 hours. HELP!

Build 17174   App Version 18.0.0.405 (k)

Welcome.  Please install the current KTS 19.0.0.1088. Instructions and download are linked in the first pinned topic. Update databases > reboot after install the new version.

Any better with the current version?

Please see the small print that is located at the bottom of this message.

Welcome.  Please install the current KTS 19.0.0.1088. Instructions and download are linked in the first pinned topic. Update databases > reboot after install the new version.

Any better with the current version?

Please see the small print that is located at the bottom of this message.

Also,

The progress seems on the slow side, compared to my experience scanning an internal HDD with KIS 19.  But as you mentioned you also have external drives, could the connection speed there also perhaps be slowing things down?  (Beside the possibility mentioned by richbuff of upgrading from KTS 18 to KTS 19, that is.) 

—DIV

By the way, for me personally I would probably be scanning each of the individual disks (one[?] internal HDD and three external HDD's) separately

That way you have more control to get one disk scanned, and then do some hard-core computing (gaming, simulation, ...), or surf the internet et cetera, or maybe even just turn off the computer and go to bed.   When you've got those things done, you can then scan another disk, and so forth.  [Yes, AV scans do work in the background, but they are also disk-intensive, and can be CPU-intensive, and it becomes wore if the user is regularly reading and writing to disk while the scan is happening.]

Another benefit is that after running the scan to completion for one disk, you'll have your own empirical estimate of how long the scan takes on your system, and hence roughly how much time to allow for scanning each of the other disks.

And, finally, you'll have a better ability to figure out whether one particular disk (or type of disk, or type of file) is causing problems. 

Debugging:  if you cannot complete a scan of even one single HDD within 24 hours, say, then try scanning individual folders to figure out (i) time required and (ii) any source of slowdown. 

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.